Windows 10 music server stoppages

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Windows 10 music server stoppages

Post by David Neel »

Some years ago, I built an LSNAS. Under Windows 7 it would sometimes stop, i.e. no more music, and needed restarting from the control app. I was never completely sure that this music stoppage was Windows, rather than the control app, but the problem went away when I ran the LSNAS with Debian instead of Windows 7.
This week I have tried Win 10 to run the LSNAS (and been impressed with the extra musicality). But, I'm back to experiencing random stoppages. I've checked all the Win 10 settings about sleep mode, etc. I've experienced the problem with both Kazoo and BubbleDS as control points. My Hakai hardware is running under Debian Stretch, and has not previously had this problem, so I'm strongly suspecting that the issue is within Windows.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Windows 10 music server stoppages

Post by tokenbrit »

Since you've checked Win settings, have you checked the BIOS to see if there's anything in those settings that might cause the stoppages; maybe energy saving or disk management? Alternatively, have you tried different media server software to try to eliminate possible causes?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thanks, tokenbrit! I've tried that now, unfortunately to no avail, as switching between Win 10 and Debian 9 on the LSNAS has shown me that Win 10 is a bit more musical. Will continue to experiment, have just put Volumio back onto the Hakai, in place of Stretch, so I now have two flaky bits of software to contend with!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

If you are using control points, I figure you are using a media server on the (LS)NAS rather than letting Volumio connect via a network file share... If so, what media server did you use on Debian, and which one are you using on Win10: Asset, MinimServer, other?

I've seen that Simon @ MinimServer is helpful on that forum - wondering if there's experience there with stoppages under Windows. Maybe the dBpoweramp support forum would be the same if you're using Asset... Or Linn for Kazoo Server.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Yes, I was using Asset, under both Debian and Win 10. Several years ago, I preferred Asset musically to minimserver and Kazoo, so have stayed with it.
Today I've got Volumio running using control points and Asset - and suffered very frequent stoppages! But moving to Volumio via a fileshare seems to have cured that :)) Fingers crossed I've now got a stable system.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Good to know - glad it's more stable. I still need to find a spare drive to try Volumio against upmpdcli/mpd on Buster - don't want to lose mpd 21.11… After that I can worry about the NAS and network share vs. media server, as well as Buster vs. Win 10