Linn balanced Silver cable for Unbalanced interconnects

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

paolo

Linn balanced Silver cable for Unbalanced interconnects

Post by paolo »

Hello,
has anybody tried using Linn balanced Silver cable to make an unbalanced interconnect? The idea is to use the two internal insulated wires for the signal and the shield connected just at one side. I wonder how it compares with an interconnect made with standard Linn unbalanced Silver cable, of course keeping the same RCA connectors, solder and soldering techinque.

Any experience?
Thanks!

Ciao
Paolo
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn balanced Silver cable for Unbalanced interconnects

Post by Linnofil »

paolo wrote:Linn balanced Silver ... use the two internal insulated wires for the signal and the shield connected just at one side
I have a Linn Black IC (soon replaced by a silver) from my Majik Kontrol to my DIY poweramp. Inside the poweramp, I have only one ground connected. (From one of the input sockets to one of the amplifier boards.) This eliminates a groundloop that is formed by the cables and inside the amp. Signal ground to the other amplifier board then comes from the common "0" in the powersupply. When I do connect the ground at the input socket (for both channels) the music is not at all as good as before. I suspect that this can be the effect that is heard when using a balanced cable in the way you're describing.

( :?: By the term " just at one side" i suspect you mean "just to one channel", or? If not, you need to have a wall socket with ground to make it work.)
paolo wrote:of course keeping the same RCA connectors, solder and soldering techinque
That is VERY difficult to do! Try to make a "standard" unbalanced silvercable, most likely you will not succeed to make it as good as Linns own cable. (Ask Fredrik!)

It would be very interesting to test a pair of Linn Black IC with one ground disconnected (at one end) compared to a Linn Silver IC in standard configuration. In my system I belive that the Silver IC makes a smaller difference than connecting both grounds. Could this be the "poor man's silver IC"? I have been very tempted to disconnect one ground on my Silver IC from the Majik CD to the Majik Kontrol. But I get an itchy feeling in my wallet every time I bring out the side cutter...
:!: Note: In my DIY power amp, the wall outlet ground is not connected to the signal ground (or power supply "0"), only to the outer case. That may make the difference bigger for my amp.

I actually have a (single, brand new, unpacked) balanced Linn Silver cable at home. I may cut off the XLR's on that one and experiment with it.
(If I can't find a buyer at a decent price. Buyers anyone?)

WARNING! :!: :!: :!:
When connecting components using cables with just one ground, one MUST connect the cable WITH ground FIRST. (Or connect both with all components turned off.)
poppop

linn silver balanced

Post by poppop »

Paolo

I use exactly the wiring you describe - nearly! I use balanced silver BUT with one of the "hots" bedded into the shield. I had them silver soldered by a very competent "friend" from another forum. I use them for amp. links and equipment. Why?

My dealer asked me to try a pair. I was convinced, and now have about 9 pairs of differing lengths. You may get some describing the sound as "less musical". As always if you can try them - let your ears decide, not my or anyone elses words! LOL.

Steve.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I think there is a bit of confusion here... It seems you are all talking about different ways of connecting the balanced cable.

Paolo: You mean that in the source end, you connect cable "hot" to the RCA centre pin, "cold" to the RCA screen and cable screen to RCA screen. In the receiver end, you connect only "hot" to RCA centre and "cold" to RCA screen. Am I correct?

I have a friend with a Linn Silver done this way and he is not completely happy with it. Impressive, but not quite in tune, he says.

Linnofil:
It's pretty clear what you mean - only one ground connection between source and receiver. This is very interesting stuff and I believe one of the advantages with the DIN connectors Naim use is this particular detail.

I have found that eliminating ground loops can be fruitful, but sometimes it gets worse. You have to thoroughly evaluate by trial and error every new grounding idea, as it's sometimes difficult to figure out the outcome in advance.

Steve: Could you describe each end of your "balanced unbalanced" silver interconnect? I don't quite understand your description.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Fredrik Linnofil and Steve,
sorry for my late reply but I had to bustle with a very bothering problem with my system.

Fredrik you're right, what you've described much better than me is exactly what I did mean. I was wondering if building an unbalanced interconnect with a "balanced" Silver cable, i.e. a cable with two wires (hot and cold) and a screen could be a good idea.

Linnofil, what you describe is very interesting. Maybe I'll try to make a pair of interconnects with one screen not connected sooner or later...

Steve, I guess we meant the same as Fredrik described, right?

Paolo
poppop

Post by poppop »

Paolo et al,

Ill try and be very clear. BUT there is one part I cannot remember!!

1. Phonos at both ends
2. Balanced Cable, using only ONE hot, the other hot is embedded in the screen.
3. The screen itself is only connected at one end - and this is the part I cannot remember!LOL. But as the cable is directional I always get it the right way round.

Steve.