Bi-amp question?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Naimless

Bi-amp question?

Post by Naimless »

Is there any downside to bi-amping Passive Akudoriks with a Linn 4200? I can understand that a power amp with a transformer would be better using only 2 channels as the power supply is not sharing its output into 4 channels. But an amp such as a 4200 with a Dynamik power supply can share the power over 4 channels with no extra effort. I have no knowledge of electronics but this is my understanding. In other words, I would have nothing to gain, and neither would the 4200, if I only used one pair of channels.
Ianw

Re: Bi-amp question?

Post by Ianw »

I’m sure you’ll get different opinions on biamping.

In the past I’ve biamped using a 4100 then later with a 4200.

In theory there should be an advantage compared to single amping. I found it did give better control but took away some of the music so not really an improvement.

Staying single amp passive with the best amps you can get will give a better result or going Aktive really moves the game on.

Just my opinion and others experience may vary; down to preference probably.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Been there; done that with a 4200: more impressive sound-wise, but musically inferior bi-amping...

There are 2-3 issues bi-amping with a 4200 that may or not concern you.

1. not all 4 channels are created equal - figure the best 2 for treble L&R; use the other 2 for bass...
2. to do that requires external interconnects rather than the internal connectors, but that's a mess of cables behind the system which compromises musicality
Even once you've figured all that out to get the best bi-amping results from your 4200...
3. bi-amped isn't as musical as single-amped.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to read.

To echo Ianw's advice regarding staying single amp, passive with a better amp I sold my 4200, bought a Tundra and didn't look back.
Naimless

Post by Naimless »

Thanks for replies so far. I have tried it single amped but never noticed any discernible difference. My speakers were just new at the time and had not fully run in. I will give it another try soon. I have k400 cable and don’t want to split this until I am 100% sure that single wired is better.

Interesting about the 4 channels not being equal, I will have to experiment with this also.

Changing the amp is out of the question for me for the foreseeable future.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I thoroughly agree with tokenbrit on the bi-amping and 4200 comments (although since I helped him determine the best channels and tuned the amp for him that would be expected). We did find each channel sounded a little different so it is best to listen to each channel individually and then use the best two. In my experience bi-wiring and bi-amping give a more Hi-Fi kind of detailed sound but it is not musically as enjoyable.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-04-21 20:21 In my experience bi-wiring and bi-amping give a more Hi-Fi kind of detailed sound but it is not musically as enjoyable.
That describes exactly what I'm hearing.

I also vividly remember when I first discovered this was the case. I remember the room and the apartment in the late 90's. I had single-amped, biwired Tukans and, following the clever upgrade ladder that Linn had created, I bought a second power amp to bi-amp the Tukans, before the final step of going aktiv.

My soon-to-be wife immediately said "What have you done? This is worse. Change it back."

That set me on a long journey of re-evaluations.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I may be missing something, but I do not see the necessity of splitting K400 to try single amping. Just ignore one pair of cables in the standard K400.

Donuk
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I tried also preferred single amp having tried bi-amping my M140s with the 4200.

I seem to recall advise here was that the two channels closest to the PSU feed would sound best but maybe I got that wrong - best to check yourself anyhow. Also, I can't recall which channels are closest.
Naimless

Post by Naimless »

donuk wrote: 2020-04-21 22:40 I may be missing something, but I do not see the necessity of splitting K400 to try single amping. Just ignore one pair of cables in the standard K400.

Donuk
Only for the reason of looks and tidiness. The K400 is an ugly cable and is hard to hide behind the Akudoriks stands. Splitting it in half will reduce its visual impact. It’s either that or I purchase the newer K200 but I have heard the new cables are not as good as the old ones. I have tried (many) other cables but nothing is as good as the K400 to my ears.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I quite understand Naimless. Then do just try it temporarily!
I have tried K200 - and although it is a sonic approximation, is not as good as K400. Also expensive for what it is. I would not go down that route.

Before you chop up the K400 (use anvil secateurs, not a sharp knife), consider biwiring. I do not prefer this, but you might.

Good luck

Donuk beautiful but empty downtown York
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

Over the years I have tried bi-amping with:
140s and Ninkas
Solos and Komris
Tundras and 350s

In all systems, I never heard any advantage of bi-amping.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree with donuk. Somewhere on here I posted that the K200 sounded to me like they were made/discovered to sound as close as possible to the K400 and they do that. But they sound a little more artificially detailed to me which hiding some of the fine nuance of the music and not flowing as well. I still find K400 more musical than anything else I have heard.

I do actually cut my K400 apart with a utility knife while being very careful. One reason I do this is that I cut the center web out from both sides. It means twice as much cutting, and you have to be very careful bot for health reasons and because the individual wires come pretty close to the web in places. But it also further reduces the bulk of the cable. If you do this you want to mark the source end of the cable before you finish and can't remember which end is which! ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

It’s a heavy job splitting the K400 as mentioned.

Take care. Thankfully I had two friends with previous experience who took the lead on the task but it was worth it. Can’t moment on K200 as I haven’t heard it but the K400 is better than my previous Chord Epic.
Naimless

Post by Naimless »

Thanks for all the tips guys. I am lucky enough to have a joiners workshop with a bandsaw. I should be able to split the cable using the bandsaw quite neatly. I can then sell the other length. I know this won’t go down well on this forum, but I have (need) an 8 mtr length for each speaker.