New firmware for DS: Cara

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Now I'm on Cara two to! ;) It's better than Cara 1, but not really revolutionary in my opinion. Maybe the step is as big as Cara .23 to Cara 1? But Bute 0.9 to Cara .23, that was revolutionary!

Can't be anything but happy for a free improvement! Great work Linn!

(DS Dynamik and Majik 109 on order!)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Linnofil wrote:(DS Dynamik and Majik 109 on order!)
I like your style! :) It's a great promotion. God knows how many people have ordered 109s with a Dynamik. It won't just be the Dynamiks that are out of stock at this rate. I 'might' get another pair myself with the 6100 Dynamik.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote:
Linnofil wrote:(DS Dynamik and Majik 109 on order!)
I like your style! :) It's a great promotion. God knows how many people have ordered 109s with a Dynamik. It won't just be the Dynamiks that are out of stock at this rate. I 'might' get another pair myself with the 6100 Dynamik.
Alright you guys, stop gloating!

The Dynamik upgrade promo WAS finally rolled out to the US a couple of weeks ago (after complaints from myself and other dealers) but the US version does NOT include speakers as qualifying purchases. Only Klimax, Akurate and Majik components qualify for the free Dynamik PS. So nobody here will be getting a Dynamik PS with Majik 109s. :(
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Charlie1 wrote:I 'might' get another pair myself with the 6100 Dynamik.
Go for it Charlie! It really is a great upgrade from the Ninka's. The second hand value of the Ninka's compared to a pair of new Majik 109 makes it a free upgrade, when the Dynamik is included. The Dynamik makes wonders on a power amp!
ThomasOK wrote:Alright you guys, stop gloating!
nobody here will be getting a Dynamik PS with Majik 109s. :(
Not even for a Majik 112? ;)

Seriously, are you sure? There was some confusion here to. But then Linn made clear that the Dynamik offer was valid for all Majik etc. products.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:The Dynamik upgrade promo WAS finally rolled out to the US a couple of weeks ago (after complaints from myself and other dealers) but the US version does NOT include speakers as qualifying purchases. Only Klimax, Akurate and Majik components qualify for the free Dynamik PS. So nobody here will be getting a Dynamik PS with Majik 109s. :(
Oh, I just presumed it was worldwide. That does seem unfair to US customers.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

To answer Linnofil, I am quite sure as it was explicitly spelled out in the promo information: no speakers.

Honestly, we are just glad to have the promo at all. I was originally informed of it through one of the people I correspond with in Europe. When we went to order some replacement demo products on the dealer promo (which also included a free Dynamik PS for an existing demo unit) we were told that the Dynamik promo was not valid in the US. Indeed if you go to the Dynamik Summer Promo page from the Linn News site and go to the tiny "terms and conditions" link at the bottom of the page and then go to the last item under the terms and conditions you will see that is says it is not valid in the US, Canada and Japan. (They made it real obvious, didn't they?)

Anyway Linn sent out an email to US customers telling them about the Dynamik Summer Promo and referring them to the same main link (where they could follow the small type, etc.). That combined with complaints from the dealers apparently convinced Tannoy North America to run the promo here as well. But they did make it a bit more restrictive. Better a restrictive promo than none at all. But I must say that the excitement of the promo has been significantly dulled by the confusion, not to mention the much less generous dealer terms of the US version.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ok guys - back to topic then...Cara 4 beta released.
Any takers?
It's all about musical understanding!
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Cara 4 gets a big thumbs up from me. It is the most musical version yet IMHO. Sound is better in every range. It is easier to keep the volume turned up. I like it on my ADS without Dynamik.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Cara 3.4.1 is slightly less in tune than the Cara 3 release (3.3.4) on my Sneaky DS (Volume+Amp disabled), so I reverted back to Cara 3.
paolo

Post by paolo »

With my KDS the best version so far IMO is 3.3.2 (beta). Next versions, comprising 3.4.1, are not as good.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

In my system 3.4.2 is very good compared to 3.3.2.
More detailed, nicer sound (less acid mid-high) and a bit more tuneful.
Tried also the last beta 3.4.3 but this is not good as 3.4.2, is more congested and less controlled.
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Nicolav wrote:In my system 3.4.2 is very good compared to 3.3.2.
Tried also the last beta 3.4.3 but this is not good as 3.4.2, is more congested and less controlled.
ever tried 3.4.1?
It's all about musical understanding!
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Music Lover wrote:
Nicolav wrote:In my system 3.4.2 is very good compared to 3.3.2.
ever tried 3.4.1?
Yes 3.4.1 is good, imho better than 3.3.2 but slightly worse than 3.4.2.
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242