Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Multiple Color Linn Plinths:

Post by Tony Tune-age »

(Taking a break from covid19)

I received an e-mail from Linn regarding their new bearing system, and multiple color finish options for the LP12 plinths. Does anybody know what type of wood will be selected for their new color plinths? Or what type of paint they will use? And will the new finish have an impact on the plinth sound?

Any thoughts?
Tony Tune-age
markiteight

Re: Multiple Color Linn Plinths:

Post by markiteight »

I received the same email. I find it mildly amusing that the image associated with the custom color announcement shows an LP12 in yellow, yet the color palate on their website shows just about every color except yellow.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

markiteight wrote: 2020-03-17 20:56 I received the same email. I find it mildly amusing that the image associated with the custom color announcement shows an LP12 in yellow, yet the color palate on their website shows just about every color except yellow.
I noticed that as well but figured either the color chart wasn't accurate, or a color mistake was made on the plinth.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-03-17 18:36 (Taking a break from covid19)

I received an e-mail from Linn regarding their new bearing system, and multiple color finish options for the LP12 plinths. Does anybody know what type of wood will be selected for their new color plinths? Or what type of paint they will use? And will the new finish have an impact on the plinth sound?

Any thoughts?
+1, question in the center of target ....
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-03-18 09:46

Any thoughts?
I'll give this a shot. Linn has not said what wood will be under the finish. If I had to guess I'd say black ash would be a likely candidate as it is what is painted black now. Whatever they use has to be very stable otherwise the glossy finishes will crack at the miters over time. They could even use multiple woods since what you see will be the paint. The paint will be RAL automotive finishes, the same they have been using on the speakers for years. There will also be high-gloss finishes of the current woods and piano black and white. Yes, the new finish will have an impact on plinth sound, after all the big secret of Stradivarius, Guarneri, Amati, etc. is in part supposed to be in the finishing. The bigger questions are how big an impact will it have and will it be positive musically? I'm afraid I can't answer either of those. My guess is that the effect won't be huge as Linn plinths are finished in a spray lacquer currently so this will be mainly a thicker finish rather than a different one. Is that good or bad? Your guess is as good as mine.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-03-18 17:23
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-03-18 09:46

Any thoughts?
I'll give this a shot. Linn has not said what wood will be under the finish. If I had to guess I'd say black ash would be a likely candidate as it is what is painted black now. Whatever they use has to be very stable otherwise the glossy finishes will crack at the miters over time. They could even use multiple woods since what you see will be the paint. The paint will be RAL automotive finishes, the same they have been using on the speakers for years. There will also be high-gloss finishes of the current woods and piano black and white. Yes, the new finish will have an impact on plinth sound, after all the big secret of Stradivarius, Guarneri, Amati, etc. is in part supposed to be in the finishing. The bigger questions are how big an impact will it have and will it be positive musically? I'm afraid I can't answer either of those. My guess is that the effect won't be huge as Linn plinths are finished in a spray lacquer currently so this will be mainly a thicker finish rather than a different one. Is that good or bad? Your guess is as good as mine.
The answer as well, in the center of the target ...

Thank you ThomasOK for sharing with us your really Big experience.

It is interesting question for me since that I find out that there are several "Cult Plinths" like Harban Plinths, Simon Price Simplinth, Tangerine .....
Music First ...
Vlado
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I'd have thought that Linn are offering these plinths primarily to those customers who are not even going to think to ask such questions ;) Is any musical difference from the wood or the paint going to be more of an impact to you than the positive influence (& potential domestic harmony) of enjoying your LP12 in your chosen colour?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I've seen a couple in the flesh. Not my thing. They just look like a plastic entry level deck to me. The wood plinth (plus overall dimensions) are what make the LP12 look so good in my eyes. Still, I'm sure some folks will like them and good on Linn for giving more choice to their customers.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I agree with you Charlie,
nature especially wood is so beautiful on its own and so individual in itself that I wouldn’t choose one of the colored ones. But tastes are different and for one or the other it fits better into their home - its good to have choices.
Peder

Post by Peder »

🔴 My Only Concern,.have Linn solved the....

🔹LP12-Radikal Problem.

I have asked this question a few days ago in the "LP12-Radikal Problem"-thread.....
No Answer..!!!

I understand that this is a very sensitive topic for retailers to talk about.
But,.THIS IS..the most important thing to fix for Linn.
NOT..any new color on the plinth,.or a new Karousel.

▪All retaliers now know about the "LP12-Radikal Problem",.and they help their customers fix the problem.
But no one dares to talk openly about it,.or they even deny that the Problem exists 😵.

Please answer this question in the....
"LP12-Radikal Problem"-thread.

/Peder 🙂
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Last I heard was on here a few months ago when Thomas said Linn would be providing spacers. I keep meaning to ask my dealer about them out of curiosity but keep forgetting. It's not been an issue for me for a while since I had the Urika feet removed and went back to traditional feet, albeit two stacked one on the other in order to clear the Urika chute. It wasn't Linn's finest hour - I don't mean the mistake - we all make those in our professional lives, but the unwillingness to fix it or even acknowledge it was very poor. Anyway, I think we have to move on - far more important to us LP12 owners that they stay in business right now.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2020-03-19 10:35 But tastes are different and for one or the other it fits better into their home - its good to have choices.
+1 ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Peder

Post by Peder »

🔹Charlie1,.I haven't seen any upgraded information in the....
"LP12-Radikal Problem"-thread about..'Spacers'.

AND,.I don't want any 'Spacers' 🙄,.from Linn,I can fix that myself.
I want Linn to take responsibility for his product in a professional way,.and fix the problem with focus on BEST Soundquality..!!

❤ThomasOK shall have every credit for providing information about this Scandal.

Yes I say Scandal,.because we should be so honest that we call these actions from Linn by its proper name.
As You Also Wrote Charlie1....

"It wasn't Linn's finest hour - I don't mean the mistake - we all make those in our professional lives, but the unwillingness to fix it or even acknowledge it was very poor. "

This above you are absolutely right about,.but this as you write below I refuse to accept.
Charlie1,.you wrote.....

"Anyway, I think we have to move on - far more important to us LP12 owners that they stay in business right now."

All firms must take responsibility for their products,.and to deliver a very expensive High-End product....
As in 50-65% of cases is incorrect,.And Linn Know This..and this has been done by Linn for many years.

🔸It's the biggest Scandal in Hifi-history.

Think the exhaust-scandal with VW a few years ago.
This is at the same level in the Hifi-industry.

/Peder🤔
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I see you are being unhappy about that problem and I understand that because many of us have that problem.

What Charlie probably meant was in this Corona crisis we have many companies which doesnt have a strong financial background and might get into trouble. Even if Linn maybe is not one of them we dont have an interest in seeing Linn struggle.

I can not understand it either as an LP12 with a Radikal is a lot of money and in the interest of the brand name and trust they should rush to find a solution for their customers.

The comparison to VW doesnt fit in my opinion as VW is cheating and lying to an extend I would never think is possible for a German company.
Linn let something slip through which was not intended - VW did what they did with full awareness.

My recommendation for you is either get back to your dealer and complain or write directly to the Linn Management and complain.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2020-03-19 14:43 I see you are being unhappy about that problem and I understand that because many of us have that problem.

What Charlie probably meant was in this Corona crisis we have many companies which doesnt have a strong financial background and might get into trouble. Even if Linn maybe is not one of them we dont have an interest in seeing Linn struggle.

I can not understand it either as an LP12 with a Radikal is a lot of money and in the interest of the brand name and trust they should rush to find a solution for their customers.

The comparison to VW doesnt fit in my opinion as VW is cheating and lying to an extend I would never think is possible for a German company.
Linn let something slip through which was not intended - VW did what they did with full awareness.

My recommendation for you is either get back to your dealer and complain or write directly to the Linn Management and complain.
+1, I absolutely agree with you Defender ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Peder

Post by Peder »

🔹Hi all 😃.

I notice that you do not have the full picture of this Scandal.
It was one in "our group" here in Sweden,.which I call it,who discovered this "LP12-Radikal Problem" many years ago.

🔸We have also had correspondence with Gilad Tiefenbrun,.Linn's MD regarding this "LP12-Radikal Problem".

Others at Linn have also been contacted by us.
We have also sent an LP12 with this problem to Linn.
▪Results:
It came back with the same problem,.and a message from Linn that this was within..."the Specifications" 😵.

Yes,.You Read Right.."Within specifications" 😁.

💥They Must Have Gone Deaf At The Linn Factory..!!!

Our Linn-retailer,.who sent this incorrect LP12 to Linn.
He was furious about Linn's response to this Big Problem.

When I have time to do it,.I'll tell you more about this ongoing Scandal.
▪But then we take it in the right thread,.the "LP12-Radikal Problem"-thread.

/Peder🙂
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Peder wrote: 2020-03-19 12:17I understand that this is a very sensitive topic for retailers to talk about. But,.THIS IS..the most important thing to fix for Linn. NOT..any new color on the plinth,.or a new Karousel.
In my opinion, the "Radikal motor & Trampolin foot design flaw" is way more important currently for many people, than a new color plinth, or a new bearing system. However, there is nothing wrong with having new LP12 products, especially once the design flaw is properly addressed.

A couple of people told me they might consider a color plinth, but would have to see how they look in person before deciding. And I really can't wait to hear the new Karousel in my deck, it is kind of exciting actually.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age