Repairing Majik 140 speakers

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Eyesound

Repairing Majik 140 speakers

Post by Eyesound »

Hi All,
I bought a pair of Majik 140 speakers on the secondary market that unfortunately sustained damage on the shipping. It’s was insured and should be getting full refund for it but I want to repair and salvage these speakers.

Biggest damage was that one of the speakers, the 2k driver array cone (mid range 30mm PU cone) got dented. There was some cosmetic damage too on the cabinets.

Any advice how the 2k driver array can be removed for replacement? Doesn’t look easy at all.

does any one know if Linn has any repair package to help improve on cabinet scratches and dents ? If anyone has any tricks or methods to improve on cabinets cosmesis to make scratches and scruffs less noticeable please share. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Repairing Majik 140 speakers

Post by lejonklou »

Likely no need to replace the array.

Use a very sharp and pointy tool that ends in a hook (my father was a dentist and I inherited his tools, they are the best), then gently pull the metal net out, starting near the edge and working your way in towards the middle, moving in circles.

Make sure you don't pierce the membrane. It's very soft and will likely regain its shape if you can manage to restore the metal net.

If the black paint of the net should be damaged, use a black marker pen to better those spots.
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

Hi Fredrik,
Thank you for your advise.
Unfortunately the inside cone has collapsed also.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It will bounce back once the net stops pressing it in.

If it doesn't, you suck it out.
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

Thank you for the advice! Will give it a try.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Eyesound wrote: 2020-02-23 20:30 Thank you for the advice! Will give it a try.
The array is bolted from behind, the replacement part is not too expensive if beyond what Fredrik has suggested.
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

I did see the bolts from behind but how to get to it? Seems to be In a very awkward position

Thank you
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

You probably need to remove the mid driver (the one below the 2K array) and remove the whole skoop - but I'm not sure how that is fitted into the cabinet. The array will be held onto the skoop by a single cross head screw.

Don't attempt to loosen the screws around the periphery of the rear of the 2K array - the array is a sealed unit and those screws hold it together - they won't help release it from the cabinet.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, you have to remove the mid/bass driver and I believe there is a single bolt from the back to get it out. But there is a good chance the fix Fredrik gave will work. It generally is the metal grill that is pushing in the dome and that may relax by itself when the grill is pulled back out. I have done that to a couple of the 3K arrays in the past.

On the wood you can sometimes get it to swell back out using steam when it is pushed in like one of the photos. I am not a wood worker and don't want to give you advice that makes it worse so I would check on the web for suggestions on how best to do it. On the scratches you want to get some stain the same color as the wood, maybe walnut in this case? You should be able to find common wood stain colors in pen form at your hardware store which you can dab on the scratches.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

Thank you for the advice !
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

Does anyone know how to convert a Majik 140 that is in Aktiv configuration back to passive?
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

I was able to pop back the 2k array mid range 30mm dome. First I used a small fine metal hook to reform the metal grill. To further elevate the central dome I applied pressure on the side of the dome all around the dome. Then I used a toilet paper cardboard roll and one suck on it the dome popped out! Thank you all for the advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Eyesound wrote: 2020-03-09 04:21 I was able to pop back the 2k array mid range 30mm dome. First I used a small fine metal hook to reform the metal grill. To further elevate the central dome I applied pressure on the side of the dome all around the dome. Then I used a toilet paper cardboard roll and one suck on it the dome popped out! Thank you all for the advice.
Well done Eyesound!

It looks as good as new. And I suspect it sounds that way too!
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Excellent
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.