Unidisk SW settings that affect sound quality/tune!?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Unidisk SW settings that affect sound quality/tune!?

Post by sommerfee »

Hi!

Are there any SW settings on Unidisk (1.1/2.1 or SC) which affects sound quality? If yes, which ones?

I only know about setting the digital output off, which gives a small, but nice-to-have improvement.

And there was a bug in older Unidisk SC: Setting "Hi-Res SACD/DVD-A audio" to "direct" (default is "normal") also enhances the sound/tune on normal CDs, even if the unit it set to 2-channel! (But I have heard that this one was fixed in latest SW, is this correct?)

Anything else?

Axel
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Axel!

Can you try the digital out again? I think it sounds better when set to Raw than to Off... I agree it's not a big difference. But somehow similar to the 221 versus 223 debate, although that one is much more noticeable.

A similar thing applies to the Kontrol. Sounds slightly better with the RS232 set to on (but off is more impressive).

An interesting thing that relates to picture and not sound is that setting the Unidisk manually to PAL or NTSC sometimes gives better quality than having it on Auto.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Not a Unidisk setting but in DVD disc menue, you can try 2channel and the different 5.1 options (DTS etc) following tune dem - depending of the sound engineer (I guess) they sound is different.

All of you testing this, what format is normally best given that you use 2channel analogue to pre.
It's all about musical understanding!
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi Fredrik,
lejonklou wrote:Can you try the digital out again?
Yes, no problem, I'll do this within the next days and report afterwards. (I bought a second hand 8cm TV in the last days, only for setting Unidisk things since my hifi is pure stereo audio :mrgreen: )

Axel
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

How did this go, Axel? Do you think digital out should be on or off?
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

lejonklou wrote:How did this go, Axel? Do you think digital out should be on or off?
I'm sorry, I was extremely busy these weeks, I did not even had much time to listen to music... :cry:

Will try it this weekend, promised!

Axel
stefan

Post by stefan »

lejonklou wrote:Hi Axel!

Can you try the digital out again? I think it sounds better when set to Raw than to Off... I agree it's not a big difference. But somehow similar to the 221 versus 223 debate, although that one is much more noticeable.

A similar thing applies to the Kontrol. Sounds slightly better with the RS232 set to on (but off is more impressive).

An interesting thing that relates to picture and not sound is that setting the Unidisk manually to PAL or NTSC sometimes gives better quality than having it on Auto.
I have a quite new (HDMI) SC in a 2-channel system. I compared Off and Raw and I agree with Fredrik, Raw is slightly better!

Another thing, Dolby PL II should be set to Off rather than the default Auto. You don't want any processing of your audio CD's, something that occainsonally have happened in Auto.

Not in the settings but when playing a 2-channel LPCM audio track on DVD-Videos you can compare As Mix and Stereo with the Surr button. I think Stereo gives a slight degradation, I suspect it involves some processing wich in this case is unnecessary.

My first post here and I will like to say thanks to Fredrik for setting up this forum. Have been very informative with some great tips so far.
/Stefan
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Based on a default set of options (but "Channel Setup" set to "2 channel" instead of "5.1 channel") I tried "SPDIF Out: Off" vs. "Raw" on my Unidisk 1.1. (The Unidisk is from very late 2004, one of the very last ones without fan, but with a standby board as update. The software versions are: ESS 221, H8S 217 and MECH 03.04.00.00.)

I used Richard Strauss: "4 last songs" from Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (EMI)" and Weber: Klarinettenquintett from Meyer/Meyer/Sillito (EMI) as music and came to the conclusion that "Off" is better. Slightly better in terms of "tune-dem", furthermore in my ears "Raw" is a tiny little bit too bright when it comes to the tonal sound of the Clarinet.

Afterwards my wife had to hear to the "Klarinettenquintett". :wink: In her ears the "Off" setting is ok, but "Raw" makes her a little bit nervous.

Axel
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for reporting! It's interesting that we have come to different conclusions.

I haven't tried the SPDIF setting on the SC, but it may very well differ between the SC and the 1.1. Other things have differed, like the ESS software which I tried numerous times on both machines and the latest was always best on the SC, but not on the 1.1.

The 1.1:s that Axel and I are comparing on are of different age, mine is almost 2 years younger. Either they react differently on this setting, or they behave the same but we reach different conclusions.

Since we both think ESS 221 is better than 223, I find it unlikely that our opinions differ. I find that on my 1.1, SPDIF=Off sounds like one step towards ESS 223, with a sharper and more tiring sound. SPDIF=Raw is slightly blurred, but the notes are more in tune.

From your description, Axel, I get the impression that the difference is not like that on your 1.1. Rather the opposite...?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have a theory that could explain the different results we are getting on the 1.1's:

The amount of current that the voltage regulator delivers greatly affects the sound of the circuits that it feeds. When turning SPDIF on, we are probably slightly affecting the current consumption of that circuit. If the circuit board in question has changed (between Alex's and my 1.1), the activation of SPDIF could on one board push the current closer to optimal but on the other further from optimal.

I have just encountered this problem when adding amplifier functions that can be turned on and off. The ideal solution for best audio is IMHO often a rather minimalistic one where one can exactly define and optimise all working parameters, and the user will not be able to change them in normal operation.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:I have a theory that could explain the different results we are getting on the 1.1's:

The amount of current that the voltage regulator delivers greatly affects the sound of the circuits that it feeds. When turning SPDIF on, we are probably slightly affecting the current consumption of that circuit. If the circuit board in question has changed (between Alex's and my 1.1), the activation of SPDIF could on one board push the current closer to optimal but on the other further from optimal.

I have just encountered this problem when adding amplifier functions that can be turned on and off. The ideal solution for best audio is IMHO often a rather minimalistic one where one can exactly define and optimise all working parameters, and the user will not be able to change them in normal operation.
This may more properly be the start of another thread as it is not in relation to a UniDisk, but I find this theory interesting in light of similar findings on other products. This turning on and off of features has sonic effects on other products as well. I had a customer who complained that his Klimax Kontrol did not sound as good as he felt it should. We brought it in and found that our demo did indeed sound significantly better. We performed a software update and that definitely improved things but there was still some difference.

In order to make sure we were comparing everything identically setup I went in and double checked all the user settings to make them both the same. That was when I found that some settings did harm the sound. The KK sounds slightly better with Input 1 (the balanced input) turned off. It is also improved when the display is set to time out. The customer unit had the display set to never sleep and was using Input 1 and these settings were making it sound a bit worse. With all settings the same there was still a difference between the two units (and indeed between them and a third KK as well) but the difference was now small and the customer was happy with his unit.

At the time I had just found out from you about directionality of the internal power cables so we also made sure that it wasn't a factor in these comparisons. I wonder if anyone else has tried these settings on the Klimax Kontrol?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks, I have never tried these two settings on the KK. Only the RS232 setting, which I think should be set to 'on'.

To those who might doubt our sanity when discussing these things, I have to point out that most of these tips make a very small difference to the sound of the unit. But when you add them all up, it can become a surprisingly big change to a complete system.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Different display settings make a change on Kontrol? - same on all Linn products :roll:
Any experience on Unidisk?
- sleep mode active or not
- display brigthness; auto or is 56% better than 93%, or is 2% best...( :| )

Checking the manual, you have numerious settings in General setup (film, 2channel) as well in user options (example scroll SACD, RS 232 baudrate/events/startup messag)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

All I know is that with many of the settings on the Unidisk 1.1, I haven't noticed any difference to the audio quality when briefly trying them.

Let's concentrate on those that actually make a difference. I'm certainly grateful for every contribution.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote:All I know is that with many of the settings on the Unidisk 1.1, I haven't noticed any difference to the audio quality when briefly trying them.

Let's concentrate on those that actually make a difference. I'm certainly grateful for every contribution.
Ok then, please present facts:
- what makes a difference
- what's NOT
- what's not verified yet (or jury is still out...)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Ok guys - to start, here are my findings playing with the pre.

Kontrol
RS232 - on
Display - nothing (turned off after 2s)

Each of these two improves the tune a bit, both together it's a "oooh, what happened" effect.
Did not have time checking the other settings.

I think Fredik is on something here, the correct power consumption seems important.
As RS232 "on" increase the consumption, but display "off" decrease it...
jajo

Post by jajo »

Have anyone noticed a lipsync problem with the latest software for Unidisk 2.1 (I guess 1.1 would be affected too).

I have connected my 2.1 with 6 interconnects to an Exotik (not +DA) so there is no way to change the lipsync setting.

Just curious if this is a bug in the software or if I have a problem with my system.

/ Jacob
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Did you read the info re the new SW that I wrote in the other thread?
Linn has ESS225 in the pipe and one enhancement is reported to be lipsync.
Guess code issues can be the reason 224 wasn't released as official upgrade.
jajo

Post by jajo »

Music Lover wrote:Did you read the info re the new SW that I wrote in the other thread?
Linn has ESS225 in the pipe and one enhancement is reported to be lipsync.
Guess code issues can be the reason 224 wasn't released as official upgrade.
Very interesting!

Where did you get the lipsync info? Have you heard when Linn will release 225?

/ Jacob
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

The code is said being in final validation, target release date unknown for me.
Guess Linn start deliver new/repaired units with 225, to later release it as upgrade.
jajo

Post by jajo »

Music Lover wrote:The code is said being in final validation, target release date unknown for me.
Guess Linn start deliver new/repaired units with 225, to later release it as upgrade.
I can now confirm that I have the 224 software. I will downgrade to 223 tomorrow to see if it solves the problem.

/ Jacob
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Please note that there is currently no way to go back to 224, as Linn have not released it officially.

If you decide to downgrade, I suggest to 221 instead, as it does sound better than 223.

I hope the 225 will come soon and make all these discussions redundant...
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

I suggest that you first downgrage to 223 to obtain a comparision with 224!
Then downgrage again to 221.
Please report your fingings; what SW is best? (tune dem)
do they "sound" different?
jajo

Post by jajo »

224 is quite a lot better than 223... I played a couple of tracks from a movie to compare the lip sync, and the only difference I noticed was that the sound was less good, lip sync was still bad. :( Playing music gives the same result.

I will take one more step back to 221 today.

/ Jacob
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

jajo wrote:224 is quite a lot better than 223...
Good news then, as Linn then CAN make things better, from the not so good 223.
Big Q is...is 221 better than 224?
Lets hope 224 is best so we can hope 225 is superiour!!