Linn Knekt speaker plugs

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

The FlatEarther

Linn Knekt speaker plugs

Post by The FlatEarther »

Are we still agreed that the Knekts are still the best sounding plugs? Or are there better ones out there?
Steve
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Knekt speaker plugs

Post by Matteo »

I'm searching for a pair of Linn K20, but it seems that is difficult to find a dealer that uses Knekt bananas ...

M.
The FlatEarther

Matteo wrote:I'm searching for a pair of Linn K20, but it seems that is difficult to find a dealer that uses Knekt bananas ...

M.
The team at Cymbiosis can supply you the plugs.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

The FlatEarther wrote: The team at Cymbiosis can supply you the plugs.
Professionally soldered?
Outside UK?

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

One of the many dealers recently contacted replied as follows:

We do use Deltron connectors, but the crimp on type, using a high pressure (25,000lbs / in2) crimp tool. This is much better than soldering as it cold welds the metals together and removes the variability of solder temerature / consistency / heat transfer time / cleanliness etc. all of which have an effect on the impedance of the joint.

We use them in many installations for both HiFi and home cinema with excellent consistent results. We Double crimp the connector to give an even better connection. Also the mechanical strength is much higher than soldering and it doesnt work harden when flexed.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

The FlatEarther wrote:Are we still agreed that the Knekts are still the best sounding plugs? Or are there better ones out there?
Steve
The solder and temperature make as big difference
The FlatEarther

anthony wrote:
The FlatEarther wrote:Are we still agreed that the Knekts are still the best sounding plugs? Or are there better ones out there?
Steve
The solder and temperature make as big difference
Agreed I only use Rederik’s solder and set the temperature at 353’.

You need a quality soldering station to be able to solder LS plugs at this heat.
The FlatEarther

Matteo wrote:One of the many dealers recently contacted replied as follows:

We do use Deltron connectors, but the crimp on type, using a high pressure (25,000lbs / in2) crimp tool. This is much better than soldering as it cold welds the metals together and removes the variability of solder temerature / consistency / heat transfer time / cleanliness etc. all of which have an effect on the impedance of the joint.

We use them in many installations for both HiFi and home cinema with excellent consistent results. We Double crimp the connector to give an even better connection. Also the mechanical strength is much higher than soldering and it doesnt work harden when flexed.
b

Knekt plugs are not the Linn gold plated Deltrons.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Crimping is cheaper, faster, more consistent for unskilled workers and mechanically stronger. So far not the optimal for loudspeaker connectors, partly due to Knekt sounding the best. But I also find that optimally soldered Deltrons sound better than crimped ones.

But some power connectors do sound best crimped. It's not as simple as one technique always being superior, it's rather trial and error and don't subscribe to a doctrine.
The FlatEarther

lejonklou wrote:

Crimping is cheaper, faster, more consistent for unskilled workers and mechanically stronger. So far not the optimal for loudspeaker connectors, partly due to Knekt sounding the best. But I also find that optimally soldered Deltrons sound better than crimped ones.

But some power connectors do sound best crimped. It's not as simple as one technique always being superior, it's rather trial and error and don't subscribe to a doctrine.
Spot on Frederick I completely agree. Though I would add for those new to soldering that it is crucial to make the best mechanical connection possible before applying the solder and mandatory to ensure the solder not just melts but flows throughout the joint.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik,
what do you think about:
Crimping, if possible and then soldering the crimped connection.
IMO, two advantages:
No movement between both parts during soldering and perfect heat transfer.
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

My guess is that the solder won’t flow on crimped contacts, so no go
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Sopper wrote:My guess is that the solder won’t flow on crimped contacts, so no go
I do not apply maximum crimping pressure, then I put the piece in vertical direction and apply solder on the top. The solder flows perfectly into the crimped joint.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677