Great Jazz Recordings

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Great Jazz Recordings

Post by Spannko »

I’ve been listening to Chet Bakers second album ‘Chet’ today, and I’ve loved every minute of it. His music flows really beautifully.

If you don’t know the album, I’d certainly recommend checking it out.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Great Jazz Recordings

Post by John »

Spannko wrote:I’ve been listening to Chet Bakers second album ‘Chet’ today, and I’ve loved every minute of it. His music flows really beautifully.

If you don’t know the album, I’d certainly recommend checking it out.
Too mellow for me, put me asleep. Check out later Art Pepper, preferably his live stuff.
Flowmotion

Post by Flowmotion »

Hello, why choose when you can have both. Playboys - One of the really classic jazz albums with Chet Baker and Art Pepper together.

Best regards from a new member.
Källa. Sagatun 1.4. Tundra 2.2. Quad ESL-57. LP12 Pre cirkus. Slipsik 5.1.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Flowmotion wrote:Hello, why choose when you can have both. Playboys - One of the really classic jazz albums with Chet Baker and Art Pepper together.

Best regards from a new member.
Great Suggestion, just bought that album a month ago. It was retitled “Picture of Heath”. My copy is a Pure Pleasure reissue and it is excellent!

Flowmotion

Post by Flowmotion »

That was a nice cover! I do not think I have seen that one before. Chet Baker have been a hero for me since my teens and one of the many records that had big impact on men me was ”The touch of your lips”, published by Danish SteepleChase Records. Here in the trio format with wonderful guitarist Doug Raney and the Phantom of the double bass Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen. Here is warning though. Listening to this record can start a lifelong jazz amour affair. I still suffer from the effects :-)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Oooh, I don't think I've heard that record. How nice to have it to look forward to!

Welcome to the forum, Flowmotion.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Great thread!
My favorite Art Pepper album is "Living Legend". This was Art Pepper's 'comeback' album, the first to be released after his long absence due to drug addiction and incarceration in San Quentin prison.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Flowmotion

Post by Flowmotion »

Thank you Fredrik for your welcome greeting and all of you for making this forum what it is. A platform and an oasis for us music lovers whom have experienced the benefits and advantages of the Tunedem-method and want to learn more and sharing this with others.

All the best.

(I apologise for my English, 40 years since the last leasson. I’ve tried to correct the spelling mistakes.)
Last edited by Flowmotion on 2018-07-14 08:26, edited 3 times in total.
Flowmotion

Post by Flowmotion »

matthias wrote:Great thread!
My favorite Art Pepper album is "Living Legend". This was Art Pepper's 'comeback' album, the first to be released after his long absence due to drug addiction and incarceration in San Quentin prison.

Matt
Thank you for this tip! This seems to be a rarity so Discogs can be useful. There is certainly a dark side of the artist life and jazz musicians are no exception.

Best wishes / Per
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Inspired by this thread, I played a jazz record this morning and actually enjoyed it. Leo recommended it several months ago, Bill Evans Trio 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard'. I will try to get one or two of the LPs recommended here.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Charlie1 wrote:Inspired by this thread, I played a jazz record this morning and actually enjoyed it. Leo recommended it several months ago, Bill Evans Trio 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard'. I will try to get one or two of the LPs recommended here.
That's a very nice one! Actually I'm sort of in a Bill Evans phase right now and I enjoy his work in the Bill Evans Trio very much. I would also recommend this one: https://www.discogs.com/de/Bill-Evans-S ... ter/988212
Flowmotion

Post by Flowmotion »

Tendaberry wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:Inspired by this thread, I played a jazz record this morning and actually enjoyed it. Leo recommended it several months ago, Bill Evans Trio 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard'. I will try to get one or two of the LPs recommended here.
That's a very nice one! Actually I'm sort of in a Bill Evans phase right now and I enjoy his work in the Bill Evans Trio very much. I would also recommend this one: https://www.discogs.com/de/Bill-Evans-S ... ter/988212
Bill Evans! Now we’re talking :-) Well for me it isn’t much more to say than I can’t agree more. Always returns to his recordings and his playing bring, to quote LINN “a deeper insight into your music.”
Time remembered, an album I played a lot lately and enjoy much. The recording itself seem to be overridden (VU-meters on red) when it comes to the solo piano pieces. Or maybe it is just my copy that isn’t the best of pressings and if so, not an issue for a modern version of the LP12.
Never mind the technicalities. His interpretation of ”Danny boy” have moved me more than once and Dave Brubeck’s composition “In your own sweet way” is a real Hit.

Regards / Per
vincula

Post by vincula »

Tendaberry wrote:Actually I'm sort of in a Bill Evans phase right now and I enjoy his work in the Bill Evans Trio very much. I would also recommend this one: https://www.discogs.com/de/Bill-Evans-S ... ter/988212
So am I. Got this album in vinyl and it's gorgeous. However, my favourites are the 45 rpm pressings from Analogue Productions. I've got four and they are superior to their 33 rpm siblings, even though their reissue of A portrait in jazz is no slouch either. I have never EVER heard any better-sounding pressings than those 45 rpm's. They really are mind-blowing. If you ever find one at a reasonable price, snap it up! I won't ever sell mine :-)

Regards,

Vincula
Homines dum docent discunt
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

vincula wrote:
So am I. Got this album in vinyl and it's gorgeous. However, my favourites are the 45 rpm pressings from Analogue Productions. I've got four and they are superior to their 33 rpm siblings, even though their reissue of A portrait in jazz is no slouch either. I have never EVER heard any better-sounding pressings than those 45 rpm's. They really are mind-blowing. If you ever find one at a reasonable price, snap it up! I won't ever sell mine :-)

Regards,

Vincula
https://www.discogs.com/it/Bill-Evans-T ... se/3916727

165€
vincula

Post by vincula »

Matteo wrote:
vincula wrote:

Regards,

Vincula
https://www.discogs.com/it/Bill-Evans-T ... se/3916727

165€
Yes, these are very expensive now. I bought 'em new back when they were released. Prohibitive now. In passing, Some other time is not a great pressing. Despite the hype I think the cd album sounds better and it's much cheaper. The vinyl's too dark and Dejohnette's brushes are way too subdued. Gomez' slightly amplified double-bass has never been a hit chez moi either.

Regards,

Vincula
Homines dum docent discunt
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

But usually Jazz LP:s are quite cheep secondhand. For example this great record for a few Euros https://www.discogs.com/Ella-Fitzgerald ... se/4057059

All the best
Fredrik
Starman

Post by Starman »

Lyn Stanley 'Potions' fantastic recording on vinyl and also cd
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

lejonklou wrote: 2018-07-11 20:24 Oooh, I don't think I've heard that record. How nice to have it to look forward to!

Welcome to the forum, Flowmotion.
It's the same album as Playboys from 1956. It's a much better sleeve. Many of the pics from that era are iconic.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

vincula wrote: 2018-10-08 20:23
Tendaberry wrote:Actually I'm sort of in a Bill Evans phase right now and I enjoy his work in the Bill Evans Trio very much. I would also recommend this one: https://www.discogs.com/de/Bill-Evans-S ... ter/988212

Regards,

Vincula
Nice!

I have the Onstep two disc 45 rpm and it’s a great record; took me a few plays to get into though.
Flowmotion

Post by Flowmotion »

Hi, for those of you whom appreciate Chet Baker I can recommend this Spanish site. Lately I bought a couple of records with Doug Raney and Dexter Gordon and it went fast and smooth with the delivery.

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/3695- ... se-records

Kindly / Flowmotion