Mains improvement, after the wall socket

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Mains improvement, after the wall socket

Post by Lego »

Back in the early days when I got my first hifi,I had a Rega 3 Nad 3020 plugged into a 6 way strip.After a couple of weeks I decided to try plugging them into a single block, thinking no wires directly plugged into wall,it must sound better,

There was a clear sound improvement, ie better, clearer and tighter bass smoother treble clearer vocals etc but music sounded confused and didnt flow or boogie properly.That was my first introduction to what happens when musicality is taken out.
I know that tune
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Lego wrote: 2020-07-24 12:47 Back in the early days when I got my first hifi,I had a Rega 3 Nad 3020 plugged into a 6 way strip.After a couple of weeks I decided to try plugging them into a single block, thinking no wires directly plugged into wall,it must sound better,

There was a clear sound improvement, ie better, clearer and tighter bass smoother treble clearer vocals etc but music sounded confused and didnt flow or boogie properly.That was my first introduction to what happens when musicality is taken out.
Did you know on the spot what was wrong or did it take some time for you to figure it out?
Playing cd’s…………
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

After being amazed about the change in sound ,i could tell immediately something was wrong ,changed back the same day.
I know that tune
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Having done many similar tries I understand your reaction, but would be careful about the conclusion. Although the separation of the mains may have had the effect of the system being perceived as less musical and it was most probably correct.

Please note that I was not there and is merely speculating on the actual circumstanses, but it may be that the change made the system more reveiling of its flaws rather than actually being worse performing in absolute terms. Why I write this is that I think both the Rega turntable and the NAD3020 is rather poor performers and so it might well be that the more you reveil of their actual sound the less musical the presentation may be perceived. Tuning such systems is a balance of getting them to sound nice while popping on reasonably well.
Kalle05

Post by Kalle05 »

I bought 2 Music Line power strips.
Router, switch and Apple accespoint on one power strip,
DS, pre amp and power amp on the other.
Both power strips In the same wall socket.

In ”my ears” there has been improvment in everything
compared to my old power strips.

Thank’s for the tip Tendaberry
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Kalle05 wrote: 2020-07-27 16:51 I bought 2 Music Line power strips. Thank’s for the tip Tendaberry
You're welcome :-) Now you only need the best wall socket too ;-)
That would be the THPG 176400: https://www.voltus.de/?cl=details&anid= ... gIgtPD_BwE
This wall socket was the best value-for-money ever upgrade for my hifi...