Loudspeaker Design

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Loudspeaker Design

Post by Charlie1 »

I just thought perhaps members would like to share thoughts on designs they like, both looks and the science, and why?

A bit of a mess of thoughts but can’t really word it nicely.

Watching interviews and reading up on the Graham ls5/9 led to learning a bit about the BBC design approach, using thin wall cabinets, for example. I like the old school look too.

I also wondered If it is fair to make generalisations? For example, can some folks always hear a downside to a ported design.

Some folks like the simplicity of a good 2-way with simplified cross over. I never really listened to 242s and thought I could hear 10 drive units in the room but know some people do.

Anyone know what Anders approach is to the Klangedang T1. I guess he’s not gone for well braced thin walled cabinet as it looks like quite chunky thick wood.

There is also Russell K approach to working 'with' vibrations rather than trying to damp everything but what are the downsides?

I very briefly heard Q Acoustics 500 at the weekend. Very modern sound, very good deep bass control and all quite seamlessly integrated sound, but maybe a bit unreal sounding too - maybe it was the digital recording.

I kind of long for a modern Kan at the moment but it’s probably just a phase.

The JBLs 3677s were always a step too far for me. I need to see some real wood even if it is only 2mm deep. Normally I can prioritise musicality but not with them. Maybe if I’d heard them in the flesh then I could have got past that.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Loudspeaker Design

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting idea for a thread. I've been wondering myself what people like in speakers and if there is anything I should investigate. So I'll throw a few thoughts of my own out that might not be any more organized than Charlie1s.

Starting at the bottom I'll mention that 2mm of wood would be quite unusual. Most veneer is literally paper thin - no thicker than the vinyl wrap which I applied to mine, and which I quite like the look of. By the way, you can get vinyl wrap in many, many colors and even with the look of wood, carbon fiber, chrome, etc. So you can make 3677s look like whatever you want except, of course, discrete. ;-) That said I was recently informed that the 3677s are indeed discontinued and that a last production run was being made but I have still been able to get them. But soon it appears it will be used only.

I have recently been listening to Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT speakers with Linn Klimax sources and Sagatun and Tundra Monos at the store. This system is quite good and I can listen to it easily for long periods. They had also sounded quite good with the new Vandersteen M5-HPA amps when Richard was here for a musical evening in March. Unfortunately I didn't have my new set of Tundra Mono demo amps yet at the time and we only had the HPAs here for a day so no comparison was possible. Fredrik had found the less expensive Vanersteen Treo interesting when he was here but was a bit more impressed with the Dynaudios so we used them for the musical evening. But he said he would have liked to have time to play with them. I have played around with the Quatros a bit and we have a very good position for them in our big studio. They are quite interesting speaker using a powered 8" aluminum isobaric bass system with midbass, midrange and Vandersteen's carbon tweeter. Richard is big on time-aligned speakers with a sloped or stepped baffle and first order crossovers, minimum baffle size to reduce diffraction effects and drivers that are as close to perfect pistons as possible. While I'm not quite ready to take a pair of these home I think they are the best sounding we have in the store now. I also still remember being quite impressed the first time I heard the Model 7s, which now run $62,000 a pair with 12" aluminum cone powered isobaric bass system, even though it was on unfamiliar electronics and turntable (he does tend to always demo with vinyl - another good sign). Overall I have been happy with his designs and haven't heard one yet I felt was a bad speaker.

As I mentioned Dynaudios I should also say that overall I like their products too. We used a $10,000 model that is no longer made when Fredrik was here to introduce the preamps and he said it was the best sound he had made at a dealer up to that point. I had also used them at RMAF 2014 and while I didn't get much press that year I did have a lot of regular people telling me what a great sound I was making. Some models I like better than others but all the ones we have in the store are at least competitive with other produces in the price range. We have had a few customers pick Excite 14s or 18s over Majik 109s, which they bracket in price. The new Special 40s - a one off 40th anniversary bookshelf - is a particular favorite as I think it is quite musical at the $3000 price point. I have also liked the fairly new Contour series from $5000 to $10,000 but haven't listened long enough to pick a favorite yet.

So that's a few notes on current speakers of interest. Although I should also mention that I have been impressed at RMAF with the DeVore Fidelity Orangutan series speakers, especially the bigger one. Again they were heard with electronics and a turntable I am not familiar with (Sugden electronics and different turntables the two years). But I felt they were making the second best sound to our room, and also with a more modest system price wise than in many of the rooms, and I believe Fredrik felt the same. They were also using only vinyl as a source. I didn't list them above because I haven't heard them where I could use familiar ancillaries and rooms.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Speakers tend to be the main component we have to be prepared to compromise in one area or another because the ideal speaker would be something small (for low energy storage) with the bass of something big, which obviously can’t exist. I remember moving from Kans to Isobariks and loving the big full sound but missing the speed and coherence of the Kans.

One interesting compromise, for me, would be the original Quad 63’s. There’s something about them that always makes me stop and listen every time I hear them. I don’t think that I could live with them full time, but they’d be lovely to have in a second HiFi room just for listening to acoustic music on.

Other than the Quads, the only other speakers to grab my attention tend to be small and actively driven which is why I use the Akudoriks. All other big speakers tend to suffer (musically) far to much in the bass for my liking. The Akudoriks aren’t perfect in this respect, possibly because of the port, but for me it’s a reasonable compromise.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Thomas for the run down. I didn't really like the look of the Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT but once I read on and understood the design approach then I'm a bit more accepting of it. I initially thought it was just for aesthetics. Quick question, do you find Linn speakers more tuneful than other brands, excluding the JBLs of course? If so, do other factors put you off them a bit. I seem to recall you were never a great fan of 242s and I don't recall you saying anything that positive about Akubariks.

Spannko, you seem to have similar requirements as Fredrik, preferring quality over quantity. I am not that fussy really, although like you, I did miss the speed of my Kans when switching to Ninkas, but I was desperate for some bass by that point in time. Were the Saras not a middle ground between Kans and Briks - you didn't fancy those instead? I know what you mean about speaker being more of a compromise than other components.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Yes, ideally I’d like quality and quantity, but quality always comes first.

I never really got on with the Sara’s. I heard them sound ok with Nat King Cole on one occasion, and Frank Sinatra on another, but generally I found them to be a bit ploddy. I tried them at home but in my 4m x 4m x 3m room of the time they did nothing for me and it was a joy to put the Kans back on.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

That's interesting. thanks Spannko.

One for old times sake ;)

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1, I find it amusing that you thought the Vandersteens were about cosmetics. Actually, they are often a speaker where the sound has to win out over esthetics. Look at the Models 1, 2 and 3 on their website and you will see what I mean. Richard actually in many ways prefers the big cloth enclosure so he can optimize the sub-enclosures within. But he had to bow to pressure from the dealers when the Quatro came out to make a wood version, which has sold so well that the fabric version has been closed out.

There is no question that any speaker is a compromise. You need to move a lot of air to produce bass (hence the size of upright bass, tuba, contrabassoon and low frequency organ pipes). But for high frequencies you need lightness and speed. Contradicting requirements that make wide range acoustical instruments rare and wide range one-way speakers virtually impossible. The ideal would be a one way speaker using a tweeter that could fill a room with 16Hz bass. Good luck with that one! But a tweeter is the closest thing to the reverse of a microphone, which is really what you want. Two ways have the advantage of being able to cover a fairly wide range with the relative simplicity of a single crossover point, hence the enduring popularity of Kans, Katans, LS3/5as, Klangadangs and even JBL 3677s, along with numerous other small two ways. (Another key advantage of all but the last one is the small cabinet size which reduces resonance problems and also shortens cabinet reflection times.) But what it really comes down to is that the only way to really cover pretty much all the relevant frequency range is with a three way system - the reason why a number of iconic full-range speakers have been three ways including original Isobariks, Naim DBLs, AR LSTs, B&W 800s and any number of vintage and modern designs. This can also be a monitor/subwoofer type system, as several of us 3677 users are doing, but it requires really excellent subwoofer integration an a relatively wide range main speaker for it to work - think good down to 40 or 50Hz, not limited to something like 80Hz.

On to the question on Linn speakers. I have found overall that Linn's speakers have been variable over time. I was a big fan of Isobariks (which I still own two pair of) and Kans and I also enjoyed SARAs although they were a bit difficult for many and certainly were not the in-between product you might imagine. They certainly had impressive bass for their size, but didn't have the midrange quality of either the Kans or Isobariks due to the larger driver size (don't ask me to explain how the JBL 15" driver has such good midrange - I have just had to accept that it does). It was also a bear to drive which meant that you really needed the best amplification to drive them well - just like Isobariks (think NAP 250 or 135s or LK280). That made them a much more difficult step up from your LP12/NAIT/KAN system. Want to see a NAIT squirm? feed it into SARAs! I have also heard very good music from Keltiks, Kabers and Keilidhs. Nexus and AV5140s not so much. And I think even Linn wishes nobody would remember the Keosa. Newer stuff, well I didn't care for the very first versions we had of the 242s as they had no bass. Version 1.5, which Linn doesn't seem to admit existed, were quite a bit better and the mk2s I thought were quite good. They did a number of things better than my Aktiv Isobariks but not quite enough to make the switch, whereas the ATC100s seemed to me to improve on everything. The newer speakers I have less experience with. I have never heard passive Akubariks as Linn has never had a demo set in the US and the pair we bought for demo were Aktiv. They were pretty good but we never sold another pair and it wasn't something I felt the desire to drag home. The Akudoriks we had in here were also Aktiv and I thought they were pretty good, possibly even better than the Akubariks. But again I haven't heard passive versions so I haven't heard what they can really do. I say this because my experience is that passive speakers with Kilmax Solos or especially Tundra Monos are superior to the Aktiv versions with the built in lesser amps. 350s have never rung my bell in any version I have heard, which again have all been Aktiv of one type or other. The M109s and M140s I have liked and have sold several of both, but they are getting long in the tooth and Linn indicated to us that they weren't doing further development on them. I haven't done a lot of tune method comparisons with other speakers but I couldn't argue with those who chose Dynaudio Excites over the 109s when we listened to them. It would be good to do some more comparisons if I jus had 48 hours in the day!

That's it for the second installment. I'd still like to hear about any speakers others think are really good on the end of a Linn/Lejonkou, or even all analog Linn system.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Tom. Great read.

I wonder if the 109s with upgraded mid/bass would give the Excites a run for their money. I'd like to hear what improvement that upgrade makes. I think Paolo said he's done a couple.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

So I’m afraid to comment here and have no experience with these speakers and Linn/Lejonklou products, but something about Sonus Fabers I’ve always liked. The furniture look of the cabinets and the leather as well.. I’m not referring to their crazy priced speakers (I think they now have models well over $75K. I liked the Cremona and for stand mount the Guarenni Memento looked sharp. I do enjoy a nice looking speaker. Don’t judge me
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Speaking of Kans, I remembered I did a video of my system in about 1990. I was at college one day a week and we had a video project. I took the kit home one weekend. It was a great big handheld camera with a VHS recorder you hung on your shoulder so quite different to a modern smartphone :)

Apologies in advance for the 1980s curtains. I notice the HiFi took precedence over a double bed, so not sure about my priorities as a young man :( The video is a bit faded and definitely sounds more tuneful on my laptop, but here you go back in time nearly 30 years to an LP12/Valhalla/Akito1/K9, Exposure XV, bi-wired Kan IIs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyq1oo0fpqnli ... 1.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/za55j9mq49hm4 ... 2.mp4?dl=0

And Beck, it's OK, I don't mind if you prefer this sound to my current system (much).
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote:. Maybe if I’d heard them in the flesh then I could have got past that.
Yes!!
It's all about musical understanding!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:Speaking of Kans, I remembered I did a video of my system in about 1990. I was at college one day a week and we had a video project. I took the kit home one weekend. It was a great big handheld camera with a VHS recorder you hung on your shoulder so quite different to a modern smartphone :)

And Beck, it's OK, I don't mind if you prefer this sound to my current system (much).
Fantastic clips! :-)

I think you are on to something great. I cannot stop my head from nodding. Keep going in that direction..... :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:. Maybe if I’d heard them in the flesh then I could have got past that.
Yes!!
+1
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Cool clips, does sound pretty good. Do I spy a Nakamichi with lots of lights in that stack of gear? I see by the second clip you remembered to take the dust cover off!
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Becks and Tom. There are few clips of systems that far back so thought it would be interesting. I don't know how new Kans compare to those around today, but at least this is some kind of a reference to how things were when new, albeit via a crappy video.

One thing I recall with Kans, when I upgraded to Cirkus and Lingo 1 in one hit, obviously that was a big musical improvement, but over time I started to miss the more full bodied sound of the old deck, which is probably what pushed me towards Ninkas. I guess my point is that, like the LP12 developments you've mentioned before Tom, speakers are also voiced to match the other components around at that point in time, and it's easy to push things out of balance by introducing newer equipment.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Great clips Charlie .. Antonioni would have been proud of that footage .Kans are my favourite speakers and the most desirable sound I've heard was 280s driving Saras ..my akvtiv ninkas are the most sustainable sound I've had ..will probably take me to the grave
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Great clips, great songs!

Thank you Charlie!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Fab! That brings back some memories! Van the Man on LP12 and Kans - unbeatable!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

What I like?
Efficient speakers have something special. Good dynamics and that lovely live feeling.
A big woofer offer SLAM

Always loved the JBL sound but never thought that it was possible to find a musical one.

These seems nice!
Anyone heard any of them?
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cine ... 722n#Specs

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cine ... u7TnC-B1o4

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cine ... u7TkC-B1o4
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:Do I spy a Nakamichi with lots of lights in that stack of gear? I see by the second clip you remembered to take the dust cover off!
That would have been very cool, but alas no, just a Kenwood, which I still own.

Yep, didn't know about the dust cover compromise back in those days.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I started up my hifi interest with a pair of early Respons speaker http://responsaudio.com/history.html in the end of the 80:s. I still have them in my TV room with Kikkin and LK140. Really nice speaker with a natural musical sound. It would be really interesting to hear a pair of new Respond Grand artist D with Lejonklou amplification.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Charlie1 wrote:I wonder if the 109s with upgraded mid/bass would give the Excites a run for their money. I'd like to hear what improvement that upgrade makes. I think Paolo said he's done a couple.
I guess Marco is working on them.

M.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Matteo wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:I wonder if the 109s with upgraded mid/bass would give the Excites a run for their money. I'd like to hear what improvement that upgrade makes. I think Paolo said he's done a couple.
I guess Marco is working on them.

M.
I already have the drivers, and a set of 109s is likely to come my way at the end of the month, so yes I will give that a try.

First I'm attending the Hi End Fair in Munich later this week. Not yet to participate but still I'm looking forward to it - sorry for the slight detour of this topic.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

mrco99 wrote:I already have the drivers, and a set of 109s is likely to come my way at the end of the month, so yes I will give that a try.
Fredrik previously commented that 212s were more musical than 109s but also more detailed and could be a bit hard sounding at certain frequencies, which he thought was the 3K array. I wonder if 109s with upgraded mid/bass will strike a nice balance between the two.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Never listened to 212 myself, but I did hear passive Akudoriks, which I found very good - a highly musical speaker.
It seems that passively they don´t get much attention from Linn dealers at all.

Concerto Audio, the local Linn/Lejonklou dealer only sold Akudoriks so far in Exakt integrated configuration - and as such one of their most favourite models, but never a passive version.

Regrettably for the Majik 109 I only get one pair so a straight A-B comparision will be hard to do.
But I´ll try to make a good recording of both versions.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand