Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Loudspeaker Design

Post by ThomasOK »

mrco99 wrote:
Matteo wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:I wonder if the 109s with upgraded mid/bass would give the Excites a run for their money. I'd like to hear what improvement that upgrade makes. I think Paolo said he's done a couple.
I guess Marco is working on them.

M.
I already have the drivers, and a set of 109s is likely to come my way at the end of the month, so yes I will give that a try.

First I'm attending the Hi End Fair in Munich later this week. Not yet to participate but still I'm looking forward to it - sorry for the slight detour of this topic.
Well you can get it back on topic by reporting on any worthwhile speakers you hear there! I'd love to go to that show sometime. Maybe we can get to the point where there can be a Lejonklou room and we can have a big get together while displaying there!!!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ThomasOK wrote:
mrco99 wrote: I already have the drivers, and a set of 109s is likely to come my way at the end of the month, so yes I will give that a try.

First I'm attending the Hi End Fair in Munich later this week. Not yet to participate but still I'm looking forward to it - sorry for the slight detour of this topic.
Well you can get it back on topic by reporting on any worthwhile speakers you hear there! I'd love to go to that show sometime. Maybe we can get to the point where there can be a Lejonklou room and we can have a big get together while displaying there!!!
Excellent idea!

Let's do it.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

We certainly will - work in progress!
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

mrco99 wrote: Regrettably for the Majik 109 I only get one pair so a straight A-B comparision will be hard to do.
I could send mine to Amsterdam for this purpouse.

I had the insane idea of triyng this:

https://www.amazon.it/Mission-Diffusori ... HPVB2?th=1

For less than 180 €, the bargain of the century?

M.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Charlie1 wrote: The JBLs 3677s were always a step too far for me. I need to see some real wood even if it is only 2mm deep. Normally I can prioritise musicality but not with them. Maybe if I’d heard them in the flesh then I could have got past that.
Charlie1,
you should try a pair. Mine are placed on very filigree stands, not obtrusive at all quite the contrary very well integrated in my living room. The best investment in speakers I made so far. After listening to them there is no going back.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

matthias wrote:Charlie1,
you should try a pair. Mine are placed on very filigree stands, not obtrusive at all quite the contrary very well integrated in my living room. The best investment in speakers I made so far. After listening to them there is no going back.
Hi Matt,
I've just been put off by the looks. Maybe if another used pair come up for sale then I'll give them a go anyway.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Anyone here heard a single driver full range (SDFR) speaker?

I appreciate they are not truly full range.

There seem to be quite a few DIY designs. I suppose the absence of any crossover makes them more amenable to the DIY enthusiast.

For example:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opPnXdDE1lY
http://www.frugal-horn.com
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I heard the Flugel Horn XL today and really liked it. They were only on the end of a £40 amp and Sony playstation streaming via Amazon so hard to judge their outright ability but I certainly enjoyed what I heard. Very immediate, lifelike and easy to listen to. Bass extension was good enough, although obviously no slam. Stefan at KFJ Audio is gonna lend me the smaller version (just called Frugal Horn) so I hope to hear those at home soon. Today's pair were fitted with Mark Audio Alpair metal cone full-range driver. Sounds like I may well find the paper variant more engaging, if not quite as good in absolute HiFi terms. I will post clips at some point.

Here's the Frugel Horn finished: