Which tracking force scale?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Which tracking force scale?

Post by k_numigl »

Proceeding to change my pickup, I'm in need of a reliable tracking force balance. Can anyone recommend a model?

I do own a 3 digit scale looking just like the Project or van den Hul model, but carrying no logo. It was a bit cheaper than those, but not much. The bad thing: The lever the diamond is put on is not completely
anti-magnetic. With a stong magnet like that in the Akiva, the reading of the scale is affected. I
expect from a scale dedicated to measure pickup tracking force to be absolutely un-magnetic, of course.
The models by Project or the like could be better or not - therefore my question.

There is a relatively new scale on the market: The Rega Atlas (no, not a pickup) which claims to have a
outstandingly solid construction. Any experience with it?

Thanks for advice,
Klaus
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Which tracking force scale?

Post by ThomasOK »

I don't have any experience with the Rega Atlas but am planning on getting one soon. One of the dealers I converse with in the UK uses one and appears to be happy with it. From what I've read about its design and construction I believe it is likely to be a good bet. I also have a similar scale to the one you have but haven't found magnetic problems with it, however it tends to drift once in a while.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Which tracking force scale?

Post by k_numigl »

Thanks Thomas. In the meantime I checked a scale labeled by Project - it is also
not completely un-magnetic. The effect is not large: With the pickup directly above the
platform, the scale reads roughly -0.02 g (Akiva used). So perhaps one could live with that.
After the arm is lowered, it should not make an effect on the reading anymore but
only attract pickup and scale platform a bit. It is more a feeling of: If this is not perfect, what
about linearity errors, off center errors and so on. I tested the 'calibration weight' on
a high spec lab scale and both (Project and noname) were good on the mg level what is
amazing. (Do not touch them by hand, of course.)