Musical IEC (& AC) Connectors

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Musical IEC (& AC) Connectors

Post by tokenbrit »

Happy Oestre/Easter, Passover, April Fool's ... this isn't an April Fool's joke: I am hoping for recommendations for musical IEC & AC connectors. Initially this is to use mains cable as a power cord to check directionality, subsequently to make up a power cord from dedicated outlet to distribution block for the system... So these connectors aren't throw away - ideally, they need to accommodate up to 10 AWG wire, and be reused a few times in testing before their final use as a permanent short power cord.

As far as IEC connectors go, I've looked at Wattgate (320i - $40), and Marinco (320 - $30), but see that Furutech is popular - the FI-11(Cu) is available for $45...

I was hoping to avoid audiofool features such as gold, silver, or rhodium plating, and am suspicious of cryo treatment... I just want 'musical' (is that too much to ask?) Does anyone here have any experience with connectors, and can anyone help educate on C13 vs C15 IEC connectors, please?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Musical IEC (& AC) Connectors

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote:...and can anyone help educate on C13 vs C15 IEC connectors, please?
I only know of these from a Cisco switching perspective where the PoE models with higher wattage PSUs require C15 instead of C13 due to the higher temperature requirement. C15 has a small notch enabling them to connect into the higher wattage PSUs. This means the C13 can't fit and so prevents its usage.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote:
tokenbrit wrote:...and can anyone help educate on C13 vs C15 IEC connectors, please?
I only know of these from a Cisco switching perspective where the PoE models with higher wattage PSUs require C15 instead of C13 due to the higher temperature requirement. C15 has a small notch enabling them to connect into the higher wattage PSUs. This means the C13 can't fit and so prevents its usage.
Thanks Charlie. I figured that a c13 plug won't fit in a c15 socket but didn't know why... Makes sense. Does it work the other way though: c15 plug in c13 socket? The Linn & Lejonklou electronics appear to take c13 IEC plugs, but I was wondering if I could or should use a c15.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote:...but I was wondering if I could or should use a c15.
I would have thought C15 would be fine since it’s just a plastic connector that can withstand higher temperatures but I suppose you should still check with Fredrik or Linn Helpline, just in case.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote:
tokenbrit wrote:...but I was wondering if I could or should use a c15.
I would have thought C15 would be fine since it’s just a plastic connector that can withstand higher temperatures but I suppose you should still check with Fredrik or Linn Helpline, just in case.
That was my thought too, especially since Wattgate & Furutech don't seem to do a C13; only C15 type IEC connectors... I guess that makes sense in context of your explanation about higher wattage, since they accept larger gauge 10AWG wire - the Marinco 320IEC13 only accepts up to 12AWG, although the data sheet suggests that the limit is the cord clamp. Hmmm - I may be able to get away with it since I would be using 10/2, not /3. It would be a shame not to test 10 vs 12 & 14 as long as I can find a safe way to terminate the thicker gauge wire.

At least I shouldn't have to worry about cheap copy connectors, made in China, if I avoid Furutech, Wattgate, etc...
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

If the Furutech wall outlets are anything to go by, I would avoid Furutech (very detailed, but unmusical). We tried the Rhodium variant.
The FlatEarther

Post by The FlatEarther »

Hi Tokenbrit. What IEC Connector did you end up fitting and how does it sound?
KR
Steve.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

The FlatEarther wrote:Hi Tokenbrit. What IEC Connector did you end up fitting and how does it sound?
KR
Steve.
Hi Steve, the listening tests have been put back to a Fall/Winter project as other things are going on with the system at the mo... I ended up getting a Marinco 320IEC15.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I have used the Furutech CU variant on my DIY cable project together with braided Kimber cable. But as I wrote in the power cord session it worked out to be less good when compared to the bulk Hirakawa cord and the Electrocompaniet cord I compared it with.

But in case you just want to test directionality it should be o.k. ... any higher quality should be fine.

How about this:
you cut the plug and the connector off
and solder it on again in the opposite cable direction

this way you dont need to buy the plugs but can still test it.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Tendaberry wrote: 2018-04-03 10:06 If the Furutech wall outlets are anything to go by, I would avoid Furutech (very detailed, but unmusical). We tried the Rhodium variant.
which other brand(s) can you recommend as wall outlet which maybe is able to take 4mm2?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

The one from THPG was by far the most musical, the good news is that they only cost € 16,- You can choose a round or rectangular cover for it. It's available here: https://www.manufactum.de/steckdose-dur ... 6/?a=43765 or in Manufactum stores. Don't know if it accepts 4 mm2, but you attach the cables with screws.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hi Tendaberry,
thats great - thank you very much. So far I have used Furutech but would love to try if there is an improvement possible.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

When we compared them, HMS and Furutech had more details, but the musical flow and groove were clearly much worse. It's one of the best value-for-money upgrades, that I can think of.