Best / worst vinyl pressings

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Best / worst vinyl pressings

Post by lejonklou »

I think my first big love was 'Okie from Muskogee', the live album with Merle Haggard and The Strangers.

I'm sorry but I have no idea which pressing to get, I have only one copy and it's an old American one.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

lejonklou wrote:I think my first big love was 'Okie from Muskogee', the live album with Merle Haggard and The Strangers.

I'm sorry but I have no idea which pressing to get, I have only one copy and it's an old American one.
Thanks

I'll give it a try on Spotify.

I'm not a huge fan of The Boss, but this album IMO deserves a listen:

https://www.discogs.com/Bruce-Springste ... se/1553172

Favourite tracks: Human Touch, Man's Job, With every Wish

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Matteo wrote:
lejonklou wrote:I think my first big love was 'Okie from Muskogee', the live album with Merle Haggard and The Strangers.

Thanks

I'll give it a try on Spotify.
If I would have done that instead of sitting in front of an LP12 with a friend and a glass of wine, I probably wouldn't have liked it. And I might have missed the genre altogether.

I find the digital streaming services very poor when it comes to just that; trying to appreciate something I'm not already wired for.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

lejonklou wrote: If I would have done that instead of sitting in front of an LP12 with a friend and a glass of wine, I probably wouldn't have liked it. And I might have missed the genre altogether.
I find the digital streaming services very poor when it comes to just that; trying to appreciate something I'm not already wired for.
Indeed! And Merle is worth having on vinyl, anyway...
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Matteo wrote:I'm not a huge fan of The Boss, but this album IMO deserves a listen:

https://www.discogs.com/Bruce-Springste ... se/1553172

Favourite tracks: Human Touch, Man's Job, With every Wish

M.
I was living in the States when the 'Human Touch' single came out. It was on the radio a lot. I really liked it at the time and bought the single. I never got the album for some reason. It was a time when I really sensed the impact of digital production, in a bad way, so must be a good song to cut through that. I'll stream the album next time I think of it.

Predictable but 'Born to Run' is my favourite. I like most of his 70s/80s work though. I think 'The River' probably sounds best on my system.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote:If I would have done that instead of sitting in front of an LP12 with a friend and a glass of wine, I probably wouldn't have liked it. And I might have missed the genre altogeher.
That's funny: I wouldn't associate wine & country, but I guess you don't get PBR there...
I've been to (through) Muskogee and I'd be very surprised if they don't do marijuana there - doesn't appear that there's much else to do...
For modern country, both Lady Antebellum, and Zack Brown Band were very good in concert. There's also Carolina Liar, but they're more rock-country (if that's a genre)
You could also try George Strait, or Garth Brooks...
Sorry, I can't recommend vinyl pressings for the above - it's more see dee or didgeetal round these here parts ;)
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Charlie1 wrote:I was living in the States when the 'Human Touch' single came out. It was on the radio a lot. I really liked it at the time and bought the single. I never got the album for some reason. It was a time when I really sensed the impact of digital production, in a bad way, so must be a good song to cut through that. I'll stream the album next time I think of it.

Predictable but 'Born to Run' is my favourite. I like most of his 70s/80s work though. I think 'The River' probably sounds best on my system.
The only other album of The Boss that I really appreciate is:
https://www.discogs.com/it/Bruce-Spring ... se/7095024

This 2014 reissue is quite good. Favourite tracks: Something In The Night, Racing In The Street, Streets Of Fire.

Born to Run, The River, Born in the USA are just fine album IMO, nothing more, and their sound quality seems only average.

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Another great record that I listened to list night:

https://www.discogs.com/it/Jeff-Beck-Bl ... se/2513138

Unfortunately, this reissue is not so great.

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

lejonklou wrote: If I would have done that instead of sitting in front of an LP12 with a friend and a glass of wine, I probably wouldn't have liked it. And I might have missed the genre altogether.

Yes, the quality of digital streaming is poor, in particular with old record, but besides this, in the last few years I never buy a record blindly.

Recently, Cambridge Audio added Tidal to my CXN streamer. In the next few months, I'm going to compared Spotify Premium with Tidal, using the 30 days free trial period.

M.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

@ Matteo: If you like Bruce's Darkness, you should definitely check The Promise out
https://www.discogs.com/Bruce-Springste ... se/2570761
It's outtakes from the recording sessions of Darkness On the Edge of Town and it's one of the Bruce albums I play most.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Tendaberry wrote:@ Matteo: If you like Bruce's Darkness, you should definitely check The Promise out
https://www.discogs.com/Bruce-Springste ... se/2570761
It's outtakes from the recording sessions of Darkness On the Edge of Town and it's one of the Bruce albums I play most.
Thanks

Never heard it

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live at Montreux 1982:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEl0yXTsCrA

Incredible live performance.

Surprisingly, some booos came from the audience ...

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

SRV unplugged on MTV, just some months before his death for an helicopter crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_DdgxRSak

M.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Unfortunately I can’t provide audio clips but I’d thought I’d share my experience with same album but 2 different pressings. Zeppelin 1, 1969 release with R1535224 on label vs. a much later copy (late 90’s early 2000’s?) with SD 8216. Oddly enough I’ve had both of these for quite sometime and never did a head to head comparison. Well I had the chance to do so and I listened to “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” and it took no more than 8 seconds to know that the pressing from ‘69 was so much more musical it almost was a different album. The SD 8216 “sounded” great, with more details, more Gigi fornsure, but the early pressing was so much more fun. I was on my laptop reading an excel spreadsheet full of performance data for work and was instantly brought into the moment and into the rhythm. I’d love to hear from anyone that may have the same albums
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Has anyone read about these new records coming out next year? Hi-res or higher res anyway, than 'normal' vinyl.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I'd not heard about it but it sounds interesting. Here's a link I found:
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/0 ... a-reality/
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have seen the info on this before. While it is interesting in terms of the idea of laser engraving the stamper to make a more dynamic and more accurate groove, I am not thrilled with the amount of digital processing that would be needed to fulfill those claims. I see no other way to balance the frequency response across the record and optimize the groove for position on the record as they claim. I am also leery of the notion of even better performance using their playback system but having “backward” compatibility.

When it comes to mucking with vinyl like this it might be worth asking yourself WWBT? What Would Beck Think! :-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Another impressive album from VM:

https://www.discogs.com/Van-Morrison-No ... se/1659966

Very good pressing.

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Another enjoyable album from modern VM

https://www.discogs.com/Van-Morrison-Av ... ase/658126

M
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

SRV at his best, powerful and full of energy

https://www.discogs.com/Stevie-Ray-Vaug ... ase/899805

M
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Matteo wrote:Another enjoyable album from modern VM

https://www.discogs.com/Van-Morrison-Av ... ase/658126

M
You will probably enjoy 'Enlightenment' if you like this one, assuming you don't already own it. 'So Quiet in Here' is a lovely track to relax to last thing at night.

I don't have that America album. I'll have to check it out.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Matteo, I did quite well at a car boot sale this morning and, guess what, picked up a mint copy of Street Fighting Years. Hopefully it will be much more enjoyable than when streamed several weeks ago. I'll let you know.

Was also able to expand my Bob Marley collection from 1 to 3 :) No 'Uprising' though :(

Picked up some other good ones too, 'Faith' by The Cure which I don't have, mint copy of Lennon's 'Shaved Fish', some Doors, Talking Heads and also Dylan first UK pressings. Can't recall what else. Don't normally pick up much these days so that was a good one.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Charlie1 wrote: You will probably enjoy 'Enlightenment' if you like this one, assuming you don't already own it. 'So Quiet in Here' is a lovely track to relax to last thing at night.
I already own it; one of the most underrated album ever

M.