LK280 Spark recap help needed

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

chickenlogic

LK280 Spark recap help needed

Post by chickenlogic »

I have some vacation time coming up and thought I'd like to spend some of the time recapping my three LK280 amps and two Sparks.

The smaller 100uF caps in the LK280s were replaced earlier this year with Nichicon UPS1J101MPD.

I need to know the exact preferred brand and model number of the large 63V 10,000uF caps. Cornell Dubelier? BHC Aerovox? What do people use in Klouts? Size is about 40x55mm.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: LK280 Spark recap help needed

Post by lejonklou »

There is only one way to know what components to use when repairing or recapping:

Listen and compare!

I would not listen to advice from anyone who hasn't done just that. Because components do sound very different and there are no "better specification" options that will result in better performance. It's all about finding the right balance and there's no way to do that without listening to the alternatives.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: LK280 Spark recap help needed

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hello chickenlogic,

You have brought up a really good question regarding capacitor replacement. My power amplifier is around seventeen years old, and it's the first audio component that I have owned long enough to think about recapping. But rather than trying to do the work myself, I have hired an experienced audio repair company instead.

Although this company has a great deal of experience replacing capacitors, they still do a lot of research as well. My primary concern was how would new capacitors sound compared to the existing caps, and how do capacitors from different manufacturers sound compared to each other. Fortunately for me, they have contacted both Perreaux and an authorized Perreaux service repair representative regarding appropriate capacitor replacement. Not only will the new capacitors meet the required technical specifications, but they will be selected based on sound performance also. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to picking-up my amplifier next week, and I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds too.

So perhaps you can contact either Linn, or an authorized Linn service repair company for the proper capacitor selection. Plus, maybe you can get some legitimate guidance or information on the Linn Forums also.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age