242 3k array torque settings?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

242 3k array torque settings?

Post by bonzo »

I recall reading about optimal torque settings for the 3K a Ray as well as I believe the other drivers if I’m not mistaken him however I am on able to locate the thread in this form could anybody please be so kind and provide some help thank you very much
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: 242 3k array torque settings?

Post by ThomasOK »

I don't know if we have ever posted these figures up here. My finding for the array is .8Nm + 3 notches and I believe Fredrik felt the same. However, Paolo felt 1.6Nm + 3 notches was better so there is a rare difference of opinion here. I did try the higher figure but stayed with the lower one, but I would suggest trying both. For the 242 bass drivers I found 1.0Nm + 6 notches, Paolo found 1.1 which is basically the same thing. In the early days we used to use odd numbers some times, but as the screwdriver we use (Richmont Sturtevant CAL36/4) is graduated in .2Nm increments I decided it was more accurate to use those increments plus or minus the appropriate number of notches to get to the right place. We have since adopted that system for more precision.

Note, however, that there can be variance from one driver to the next and my numbering system only makes complete sense using the torque driver mentioned above. So as not to fill the forum with information on how to do the torques that I believe I have covered before I am sending you a PM with more information on the driver and how we use them.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

+1 to Thomas' post above.

There are two obvious peaks of performance at just above 0.8 and 1.6 Nm on the array. I have mostly preferred the lower one, but it can depend on the speaker model (array version, cabinet construction, array filtering, drive units that meet up below the array, etc.)

Both are good. One is the best. Try and please report back!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Using my Wera torque screwdriver (which only has adjustments to 0.1Nm) I’ve preferred a setting of 0.9Nm on the 3K array.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

.9Nm would be approximately .8Nm + 6 notches. If the Wera has the ability to go halfway between the markings you might want to try between .9 and .8Nm as that would be quite close to .8Nm +3. In the end, however, those of us using the system have found 1 notch, which equates to between .01 and .02Nm, is musically significant. We have even on occasion found one where a half notch is audible but that is very, very rare. This is why I recommend the Richmont Sturtevant CAL 36/4 as it does allow adjustments at this level of precision and the settings so far are very repeatable. It also has the advantage of covering all the necessary torque settings for the turntables, cartridges, electronics and speakers we have worked on with one driver. I believe it takes three of the Wera to cover the same range.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Reviving an older thread here: Has anyone tried 0,55 Nm for the 3K array? My dealer recommended that for my Akubariks and it was indeed slightly better than the previous 0,8 + 3 notches.
Or is it not the same for 242's and Akubariks? Can anyone else confirm 2,6 Nm for the Isobarik bass?
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

So, thank you to all who responded with such detail. I apologize, I forgot I obtained a torque driver some time ago. It is a Sealey 1/4” Hex drive digital torque screwdriver .05-.5NM. Model STS103. I’m hesitant to try and adjust 3K array without knowing what setting as with my luck I’d overtighten and crack something. Any chance someone has experience with this driver?
Thank you,
Jon
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

bonzo wrote:So, thank you to all who responded with such detail. I apologize, I forgot I obtained a torque driver some time ago. It is a Sealey 1/4” Hex drive digital torque screwdriver .05-.5NM. Model STS103. I’m hesitant to try and adjust 3K array without knowing what setting as with my luck I’d overtighten and crack something. Any chance someone has experience with this driver?
Thank you,
Jon
If the maximum setting of your tool is only 0.5 Nm, it's too little.

There is no risk of cracking anything when tightening the array - unless you use a long hex key and put a lot of force on it. It's however wise to check that the tool doesn't mark the metal of your arrays around the hole, as it's rather convex and might rub against the tool.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Thank you for your quick reply. Clearly I had tunnel vision and was too focused on the fact that I had a different brand driver than what was referenced. Are there any optimal torque settings for other parts of equipment at or below .5NM which would allow me to actually use this driver?
Linn Pekin