Unidisk Disc drawer will not open

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Robert Lake

Unidisk Disc drawer will not open

Post by Robert Lake »

I have 2.5 year old Unidisk 1.1 where the disc drawer is not opening, even after switching the power on and off. There is a standard CD in the machine, which I can play but not get out. Any suggestions?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Remove the power cable, wait 5 min. Try again.

Still not working, let us know if you hear a sound as if the 1.1 tries open the drawer but failing.

Is the CD a burned CD?
It's all about musical understanding!
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

I had the same problem ones. Even power cycling did not help. (I also tried long pauses between power cycling.) Therefore I drove the Unidisk to my dealer and at my dealer the drawer opened like a charm. I assume the vibrations during the driving has solved the problem. Or the Unidisk was simply bored and needed some change :lol:
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

The Uni has been powered off for more than 30 minutes, but the drawer is not moving.
There is a brief sound indicating that Uni for a short time tries to open the drawer.
The stuck CD is an 'original', Rod Stewart: "When we were the new boys".
I have removed the cover, but don't really know what I should do after that. :(
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Does everything behave normally except for the drawer not opening when pressing Open (on the remote or the front panel)?

When you are playing the CD and then press Open, does the disc stop spinning and the display says 'Opening'?
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

Everthing seems to work normally, until I push eject, then the machine stops while the display says "opening". No strange sounds or displays. If I press power and start again, the machine starts up in a normal way, I can play the disk, but not eject it. Giving the drawer a light push with a finger changes nothing.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ok, I see.

I'm afraid I have no advice other than that someone with the right skills needs to examine it more closely. I can't think of anything over the internet that can be of help. :cry:

Good luck!
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

I guess it is time for trip to my dealer, and most likely my Uni will have to travel to Scottland, and, I will play vinyl only for some time. Poor me :wink:
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree with Fredrik that it likely needs to go to the dealer for repair. From the sound of it it is likely that the motor that lowers the drive hub and laser assembly is not functioning. When a disk is ejected this part of the transport drops down out of the way of the disc and drawer and there is a separate motor that controls it. If this motor, or the part of the board that controls it, doesn't function and it doesn't drop, the drawer mechanism will sense that it is not OK to open and will return to a ready to play condition.

You can probably see from the side if the transport doesn't drop but there is little you are likely to be able to do other than to confirm it. It is possible a cable connector could be loose so you can try unplugging and reconnecting the internal cables BUT ONLY if you are very comfortable with how the cables connect and ONLY with the power off.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote: and ONLY with the power off.
And with the power cord disconnected from the wall outlet.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
Good point.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:
Music Lover wrote:
Good point.
I once missed that while "analysing" (well destroyed actually) my tape recorder and got a KABOOOOM :oops:
I was just 7 years back then but I never forget the sound, smell and feeling when 220V entered my hand...
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

Thank's for the advice, and the warnings. Obviously, there is not more I can do so the machine goes back Linn.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:
Music Lover wrote: And with the power cord disconnected from the wall outlet.
Good point.
I once missed that while "analysing" (well destroyed actually) my tape recorder and got a KABOOOOM :oops:
I was just 7 years back then but I never forget the sound, smell and feeling when 220V entered my hand...
Having shocked myself a few times, a couple of them on a Valhalla, I know the feeling only to well!
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

So, after 9 days of turning the Unidisk on and off, removing the mains cable for 24 hours, taking the player to the kitchen turning it upside down and examine it it various ways - the drawer refuses to to open. Then taking the player to my dealer - the drawer opens without problems. And, it still opens after bringing the player home!
HiFi at this level is a mystery, or more likely the Unidisk is the Aston Martin of CD players, meaning that it is filled with almost perfect British engineering solutions.
What to do next? Well, I haved phoned an electrical installation firm to redo the electric cabling in my appartment.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

sommerfee wrote:I drove the Unidisk to my dealer and at my dealer the drawer opened like a charm.
Robert Lake wrote:Then taking the player to my dealer - the drawer opens without problems.
:!: :shock: :!:
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:
sommerfee wrote:I drove the Unidisk to my dealer and at my dealer the drawer opened like a charm.
Robert Lake wrote:Then taking the player to my dealer - the drawer opens without problems.
:!: :shock: :!:
I just returned a CD player (not a Linn and 11 years old) to a customer who had problems with discs refusing to play and also times where all that came out was a crackling noise even though the disc appeared to be playing on the display. I played it on the test bench for two days - even with badly scratched discs - and couldn't get it to fail. This has happened a fair number of times and in at least half the times the unit never comes back for service (although in the other half it does within a few months and the problem is verified).

Some of my customers have therefore decided that I have magic hands and just need to touch the units to heal them. Boy do I wish they were right - I'd make a hell of a lot of money. :)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Don't you know?
A Unidisk need some good vibrations now and then... :wink: