Linn RS232 cable

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Ceilidh

Linn RS232 cable

Post by Ceilidh »

Hello Everyone,

A very obscure question here, but does anyone know what exactly is the RS232 cable that Linn provides with its preamps / system controllers (the one that allows the preamp to communicate with a Unidisk)?

I've found a Linn Forums post stating it's a 4-conductor flat cable that's "twisted, pin 2 goes to pin 5", with an RJ-11 6p4c connector -- but there are some potential terminology issues going on here, as what the manufacturers call a "Straight" cable has Pin2 going to Pin5 (and Pin3 to Pin4, etc.), whereas a "Reverse" cable has Pin2 going to Pin2, etc.

So does anyone know what type of cable Linn uses? If a picture or two will help, here's what Digikey calls a "Straight" cable:

http://media.digikey.com/photos/I.O.%20 ... 20FLAT.jpg

...whereas Digikey calls the following a "Reverse" cable:

(Both cables actually look the same to me, which doesn't alleviate my confusion....)**

Thank you very much, and hope everyone's had a good summer. Cheers!

-C

** - the "Reverse" cable looks a "Straight" cable with one connector shown from the underside (note the wire colours....) -- or am I missing something? :D
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Ceilidh!

Nice to see you here again!

The RS-232 cable that Linn uses to connect one product to another (from 'RS-232 OUT' to 'RS-232 IN') is a 4-way flat cable with one RJ11 (6/4) connector in each end. It is connected with pin 2 to pin 5 etc.

I won't go into the terminology as I am not sure what the correct name of this configuration is.

You are certainly correct that the two pictures in your links show identical cables!
Ceilidh

Thank you(!)

Post by Ceilidh »

Thanks very much, Mr. Lejonklou!

Yes, it's good to be back. I've been out of the hobby for a while, but will gradually get back into it now; nice to see that the forum is still doing well. :D

Just to confirm things: I'm a little leery of blowing up a Unidisk, so....can I assume that the correct RS232 cable looks like the one in the two photos posted earlier? (i.e., the conductor that goes to the far left of the locking tab on one connector goes to the far left of the locking tab on the other connector, etc. -- basically the two connectors look identical?) If so, I guess I'll be putting in a Digikey order fairly soon (thank you!).

On a completely different note, have you folks in Europe noticed a Linn used-component price crash of late? Last week there was a Unidisk SC on (U.S.) eBay that sold for $1575, which is just amazing, whereas many other mid-level (for Linn) items have been falling far short of Reserve (e.g., a Chakra 4200 topped out at $710). I guess the recent financial turmoil has put people on a wait-and-see footing; many good bargains out there for folks with the cash(!).

Thank you in advance for the cable confirmation -- all best!

-C
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

No... in the picture, pin 2 goes to pin 2 etc. You need the other type, where the two connectors look like a mirror image of one another.

// Discussion about second hand value of Linn gear is continued in the topic "Why are second hand prices falling?" in the Hifi section. //
Ceilidh

Wrap Up

Post by Ceilidh »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to wrap this topic up (in case anyone in the future ever looks for RS232 info in the archives).. :D

Many thanks to Mr. Lejonklou and to ThomasOK for clarifying things here in this thread and in private messages(!). Here's what to look for:

1) The RS232 cable used by Linn is a 4-conductor flat cable terminated on each end by an RJ11 (6/4) connector (the connector has 6-contacts, of which the inner 4 are connected to the cable).

2) There are two possible orientations for the connectors (in the U.S., called "Standard" and "Reverse"). Linn uses the "Standard" configuration, in which the conductor that leads to pin2 in one connector goes to pin5 in the other.

3) In terms of physical appearance, the cable does not have a "half twist" (I mention this only because an "RS232 cable" search on the official Linn forum brings up a (non-Linn employee) post claiming such a twist). Instead, if you lay the cable flat on a table with the plastic retaining tab on one connector pointing upwards, then the tab on the other connector will also point up. Equivalently, if you hold the two connectors side by side with the tabs on both pointing upwards, the coloured conductors will appear as mirror images (e.g., if Red goes to the left on one, then it'll go to the right on the other, etc.).

4) As this cable carries digital control signals between Unidisk and preamp (as opposed to analog and/or audio signals), it does not need any fancy shielding or particularly careful construction. Hence this is one area where an inexpensive commodity product will work just fine (i.e., you can order the cable through Digikey or have it made up by a local telephone shop, and you don't have to be overly particular about its length or brand).

Hope the above covers everything, and we'll let this thread sink into the archives. Thank you again for the info and assistance!

-C