How to build hifi audio preamplifier with microcontroller PIC32MX795F512L

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

numeness

How to build hifi audio preamplifier with microcontroller PIC32MX795F512L

Post by numeness »

Hi!

I am building home automation hifi audio preamplifier, which consists of motherboard and arbitrary number of audio zones.

Every zone is represented with pcb volume controller board (volume control IC with stereo audio input and audio output).

Now, the end user will be able to upgrade/downgrade this preamp with adding/removing audio zones (minimal 1 zone - classic stereo, maximum 8 zones - true zone preamp). At power on, the motherboard with main microcontroller(Microchip PIC32MX795F512L datasheet: http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf879 ... 0I2fPT.pdf) will have to figure out the configuration of preamp, i.e., figure out the number of zone pcbs, inserted into motherboard.

What I want to ask is what are the possible solutions for this task?
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Re: How to build hifi audio preamplifier with microcontroller PIC32MX795F512L

Post by donuk »

Hi Numeness
I am not sure exactly what you are asking or even if this is the best forum...
The simple answer to your last question, is, infinity.

It is relatively easy to build a unit that functions as a preamplifier - especially when you can buy so much of the circuitry in the form of integrated circuits off the peg.

What is very hard, and where the science turns into an art is to use the right components and construction to make a box which not only amplifies but which sounds musical.

As somebody who has made my own preamplifiers over the years I can tell you that it is a black art. There are really so many things that affect the final sound. Just for starters you will hear the difference between ICs, transistors, capacitors, resistances, wiring, solder, sockets and the cabinets. Even if they have the same specifications! Which is why Mr Lejonklou is a wizard and spends so much time perfecting his products.

But there is nothing like making your own stuff. I did a lot of reading and talking to the trade when I build my amps. On one occasion I got Ben Duncan to specify what make my resistances and capacitors should be. Although I had to make compromises, I made a preamplifier and amplifier which sounded much better than I could have afforded.

Good luck and tell us how you get on.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Hello and welcome,

I can't help you with your DIY mission but I would like to present the method that is the foundation for the discussions on this forum and also in our opinion the best way judging better from worse in a quick listening test. I believe, as Donuk, that you would need to do quite a few listening tests to make a good amplifier. Please read about Tune Method here http://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/upl ... Method.pdf

Good luck!
the players of instruments shall be there..
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Efraim roots wrote:Hello and welcome,
I can't help you with your DIY mission but I would like to present the method that is the foundation for the discussions on this forum and also in our opinion the best way judging better from worse in a quick listening test. I believe, as Donuk, that you would need to do quite a few listening tests to make a good amplifier. Please read about Tune Method here http://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/upl ... Method.pdf Good luck!
Yes,
and get rid of the input switch like Sagatun and Boazu.
Last weekend I bypassed the input switch of my preamp:
Nice improvement:-)

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677