Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

John
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tiger Paw Tranquility

Post by John »

lejonklou wrote:
John wrote:It's a shame folks on this site have no interest in providing quality needle drop comparisons and instead have enthusiasm for poor sounding recordings made from phones and tablets.
There is a specific reason for our enthusiasm for the "poor sounding recordings": Their sole purpose is a comparison and our main focus is the musical qualities, not the nice sound. And in-room recordings often cut straight to the core of musicality, even when they sound bad.

I really enjoy high quality digital recordings of vinyl playback. But for comparing A with B and decide which is better, I don't find them any easier to judge than an in-room recording. In addition, in-room can be used for many more things, like speaker positioning, amplifier and cable comparisons, racks, room treatment, etc.
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. The better the demonstration standards, the easier it is to hear the differences. Learned that long ago.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

John wrote:
lejonklou wrote:
John wrote:It's a shame folks on this site have no interest in providing quality needle drop comparisons and instead have enthusiasm for poor sounding recordings made from phones and tablets.
There is a specific reason for our enthusiasm for the "poor sounding recordings": Their sole purpose is a comparison and our main focus is the musical qualities, not the nice sound. And in-room recordings often cut straight to the core of musicality, even when they sound bad.

I really enjoy high quality digital recordings of vinyl playback. But for comparing A with B and decide which is better, I don't find them any easier to judge than an in-room recording. In addition, in-room can be used for many more things, like speaker positioning, amplifier and cable comparisons, racks, room treatment, etc.
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. The better the demonstration standards, the easier it is to hear the differences. Learned that long ago.
I agree with Lejonklou because the focus here is on systems ability to play music (nothing else). We have done it for a long time with good results.
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

In my experience sometimes a record that appears to have a bad mastering can be very useful for comparisons. On a weak system it will sound horrible whereas on a really good system it will actually sound musical. I think the same applies here and the in room recording system certainly does seem to work, allowing us to hear differences that aren't always that huge.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Yes, and a before/after needle drop using that poorly mastered album will be easier to judge musical differences than a before/after iPhone recording of the same album.
finster

Post by finster »

When I first tried the tranq I did not like it. I even emailed Roger and told him it wasn't working in my system. He made some suggestions regarding my installation and setup. I persevered and reset things getting the tranq as close to touching as possible and suddenly the music was back with the finer detail resolution included.
I believe that there may well be a sweet spot where the tranq / bearing / platter relationship seems to work and this may explain why so many folks are divided on this one. I have been running with Tranq for months now and my LP12 has never sounded so good. Just bought a renew KDSM and turntable still kicks it butt on well r corded material. If you dismissed the tranq on first hearing spend some time dialling it in and it may change your view. Or not it's all good :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

finster wrote:When I first tried the tranq I did not like it. I even emailed Roger and told him it wasn't working in my system. He made some suggestions regarding my installation and setup. I persevered and reset things getting the tranq as close to touching as possible and suddenly the music was back with the finer detail resolution included.
I believe that there may well be a sweet spot where the tranq / bearing / platter relationship seems to work and this may explain why so many folks are divided on this one. I have been running with Tranq for months now and my LP12 has never sounded so good. Just bought a renew KDSM and turntable still kicks it butt on well r corded material. If you dismissed the tranq on first hearing spend some time dialling it in and it may change your view. Or not it's all good :)
I really like your post finster. The way forward for us all here and out in the real world is trying to understand each others view and keep communicating.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:I really like your post finster. The way forward for us all here and out in the real world is trying to understand each others view and keep communicating.
Yes, I very much agree.

I did have a proper listen today and, based on the clips, prefer the standard Linn setup.