Leia DS - a DS application running on Nokia N800/810

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Leia DS for n900

Post by sommerfee »

sommerfee wrote:But since Easy Debian will run on a N8x0 as well, I will try that myself in the near future.
Unfortunately I was not successful, so I still do not have an arm based installation package yet.

From http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian:
In image v3d, only the stable Debian Lenny repository was activated, although the Easy Debian image also involves a number of packages from the newer Debian Squeeze (testing) repository. As a result, some additional packages can only be installed with Squeeze activated (indicated by "unmet dependencies" errors when attempting to install with Lenny alone).
and
Warning: Those of you familiar with Debian or other similar Linux distributions know that it is very easy to keep the distro up to date by means of the apt-get command. However, there is currently a problem with some of the central Easy Debian apps in the Debian Squeeze repositories (gconf2 in particular). Therefore, it is recommended that for the moment you simply use the image as is. Do not perform a full upgrade (apt-get update is safe, though) when Squeeze (or even Sid) is enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list. This warning will be removed when this issue is resolved.
This is a serious problem. Because of the "mixed" structure of Easy Debian (unfortunately it's not a pure "Debian Lenny" or "Debian Squeeze") one cannot install libgtk2.0-dev (the GTK+ libs required to build Leia) without Debian Squeeze repository. Therefore a installation package build this way would require the Squeeze repository, too (and would update gconf2). But this would break Easy Debian.

(So I will try to install QEMU and an arm based build system instead on the next weeks.)
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Leia DS for n900

Post by sommerfee »

sommerfee wrote: (So I will try to install QEMU and an arm based build system instead on the next weeks.)
This was much easier than I thought and so we finally have an installable package for armel architectures, build with the armel version of Debian Lenny:

leiads_0.6-2_armel_lenny.deb [1]

This one can be installed without problems on SmartQ devices running Linux, and under Easy Debian as well, e.g. with the GDebi Package Installer or "sudo dpkg -i leiads_0.6-2_armel_lenny.deb".

Furthermore I build a "dummy" package for the Nokia N900 called

leiads_0.6-3_armel_debbie.deb

This one is a small wrapper package which only installs the menu entry needed to execute "debbie leiads" (and therefore must be installed outside Easy Debian, using the Maemo Package Manager).

(I will update the installation instructions on http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/ ASAP.)

Colin, again many thanks pointing me at Easy Debian, and for your study and good work.

[1] I have added the name of the build system to the other packages as well, e.g. the Nokia N8x0 version is now called leiads_0.6-2_armel_chinook.deb.
N900_col

Post by N900_col »

Hi Axel,

Thought I'd let you know I have now successfully switched to your new Easy Debian package.

I backed up my 'phone, copied off my manual install on to a memory card, and deleted the installation.

After that I followed your download instructions for leiads_0.6-2_armel_lenny.deb

and leiads_0.6-3_armel_debbie.deb.

Worked like a dream; LeiaDS back running again in no time.

Thanks for all your efforts creating an Easy Debian package. I really hope now that other N900 users will be encouraged to give LeiaDS a try under Easy Debian. It is a really good app; personally I prefer the interface to Kinsky and it is much easier to use than an iPad app I unfortunately experienced recently during a demo at my local Linn dealer.
ReneZ

Post by ReneZ »

Regretfully my version of Leia no longer starts up. No real idea what happened (no new software installed), I'm running Ubuntu 11.10. Program started up previously and worked great, but now it starts up, you see the little orange bars re loading and at the last moment it disappears. I have re-installed the package, but same happens. Any ideas, as I'm really missing the use of the program? Thanks, Rene

Found it - network issues....Oh boy.
Cheers, Rene
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

In case a similar problem appears:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev
Afterwards one is able to build Leia from the sources on Ubuntu. So get the sources (currently leiads_0.6-2.tar.gz), unpack them, go into the newly created directory (e.g. "leiads-0.6") and type

Code: Select all

make LOGLEVEL=2 run
Leia should be build with log-level 2 and start. If Leia crashes now you should find a log file in your home directory. Please either post it or send it to me.

See also:
http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/debug/ => README

(Unfortunately the pre-build debug versions are rather old, I'll see if I find some time to update them in the next days...)
welf

Post by welf »

I'm not sure if this is still being maintained, however I have started using the Ubuntu binary to control my music playing on a Raspberry Pi and being served from a MediaTomb server.

It seems to work really well and I would like to build a version to run directly on the Raspberry Pi. Unfortunately I am getting errors in the build of the 0.5 and 0.6 versions. Would you expect it to compile ok on the platform? The current distro I'm running uses hard floats (Raspbian - armhf) I don't know if that will affect it?

Thanks
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

welf wrote:Unfortunately I am getting errors in the build of the 0.5 and 0.6 versions.
What errors do you get?

There is a pre-compiled ARM binary available [1], have you already tried that?
I don't know if that will affect it?
I'm sorry, but I don't know that either.

[1] http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/experime ... _lenny.deb
welf

Post by welf »

I previously tried the ARM binary but gave up when it complained about the architecture being ARMHF rather then ARMEL.

I've now tried forcing the architecture and the dependencies with:
sudo dpkg --force-architecture,depends -i leiads_0.6-2_armel_lenny.deb

...and it works! All looks pretty good. Crashes sometimes when I try to control audio from two different locations - but I guess that's not a normal use.
ReneZ

Post by ReneZ »

Hi, is this still being maintained/upgraded? Thanks, Rene.
Cheers, Rene
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

ReneZ wrote:Hi, is this still being maintained/upgraded? Thanks, Rene.
maintained? Yes, if you have problems with the latest version please just tell here or send me an e-mail.

upgraded? Unfortunately I was not able to work on Leia within the last years for healthy reasons. I still plan to finish the last.fm support, introduce search capabilities etc. but progress is slow since spare time is limited and my cats are demanding...
ReneZ

Post by ReneZ »

Fair enough, I have one of those half over the keyboard now :-)
Cheers, Rene
ReneZ

Error message when trying to connect to Oppo 105

Post by ReneZ »

Hi, I get the following error when I try to control the Oppo. Any idea what the issue is and what I need to do to prevent it? Currently I can't use Leia to control the Oppo, although other control points are able to. Thanks, Rene

An error occured while connecting to the device 'OPPO BDP-105':

Incompatible directions

service = urn:upnp-org:serviceId:ConnectionManager
action = PrepareForConnection
faultcode = s:Client
faultstring = UPnPError
Error code = 702
Cheers, Rene
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Error message when trying to connect to Oppo 105

Post by sommerfee »

ReneZ wrote:Hi, I get the following error when I try to control the Oppo. Any idea what the issue is and what I need to do to prevent it? Currently I can't use Leia to control the Oppo, although other control points are able to.
The problem with somewhat fuzzy standards like UPnP/AV is that that theory and practice actually differs a lot. All the UPnP AV Renderer programmers (like the one for the Oppo) implement the standard and see that nearly no Control application is working flawlessly with the device. So they "bend" the implementation so it's still nearly standard but compatibility with existing Control applications are better. The same is true for the Control application programmers. So in fact we have a lot of Control applications and Renderer devices which all behaves differently, and everyone tries to get his stuff working with most applications/devices as possible. Since most of them is tying to make money with their device or application, blaming the other side is not a practical solution even if the error clearly is in the application resp. firmware on the other side. (The user is paying for working stuff only, the user is not interested why it's not working and who takes the blame, the user wants it to have working. So in practice all of them insert adaptions to faulty behavior of the other side inside their own code.)

Back to your problem: "PrepareForConnection" is a function a UPnP Control application has to call to get a so called AVTransportID, an identifier you need for further function calls like "Play" and "Pause". When Leia is calling this function the OPPO returns the error you get. So the error is actually appearing inside the OPPO, and Leia is just showing it to you. The error text "Incompatible directions" is not a text coming from Leia (which can easily proved by searching this text inside the sources of Leia) but coming from the OPPO instead.

But why the OPPO does not like how Leia is calling "PrepareForConnection"? I must confess that I don't have a clue. "Incompatible directions" usually means the direction I pass as parameter to this function is wrong, but Leia simply passes "Output" as parameter which should be correct, at least the UPnP AV Specification told me so.

But what can we do about it?

1. If someone will lend me an OPPO for a few weeks I could try to find out what is going wrong and try to correct it. (And I would be willing to do so.) Since other Control applications seem to work fine, I can trace on the ethernet what other applications are doing differently than Leia, and so adapt Leia to the OPPO.

2. OPPO could try out Leia and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Or they decide that Leia is doing it correctly (but different than other applications which is possible since UPnP AV is quite a fuzzy standard) and will fix their firmware.

3. Inside media_renderer.c you'll find the code line "if ( err->code == 401 /* Invalid action */ /*|| err->code == 702*/ /* Rhythmbox */ )". You could change that to "if ( err->code == 401 || err->code == 702 )", compile Leia and see if this will make a change. At least it should since this change tells Leia to ignore this error. Background: As I found out some if not even most Control applications do not even call "PrepareForConnection" (which is clearly an error but device manufacturers have adapted their devices to this), so maybe OPPO is just not prepared that some Control application will actually call this function!? Well, this is just a guess but since this is quite easy to find out it's clearly worth a try.

Axel
vikasdev

Re: Leia DS - a DS application running on Nokia N800/810

Post by vikasdev »

how to upgragde leia DS can anyone send link