Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi Keith,

Thanks for testing!
yellowelans4 wrote:a new release of Leia will be coming shortly I guess.
Yes, I just uploaded version 0.5-8 to the "stable" directory (and updated the web site).

Axel
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Now installation packages are available for Debian/i386 (e.g. Ubuntu) and Windows.

See http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm for details.

Axel
jmvangoethem

Post by jmvangoethem »

sommerfee wrote:Now installation packages are available for Debian/i386 (e.g. Ubuntu) and Windows.

See http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm for details.

Axel
If you have a 64 bit version of debian or ubuntu, the package manager will return a error (wrong architecture)
I had to install with dpkg and add --force-architecture option.

Jean-Marie
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

If there is demand for a Linux 64 bit version, I can build one as well.

(Unfortunately version 0.5-8 wont run as 64 bit version without modification. Otherwise one could easily build his own one using "make deb".)
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

I just put a 64 bit package version to

http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/testing/
jmvangoethem

Post by jmvangoethem »

Cool for the amd64 release,

Thanks
BrainDamage

Post by BrainDamage »

Hi, I successfully compiled 0.5.8 under linux with FILTER_LINN_UPNP_AV_RENDERER disabled, although I'm experiencing several problems

one of them is a crash I quickly fixed with:
leia-ds.c:1045

Code: Select all

char *Sink;

int success = ConnectionManager_GetProtocolInfo( device, NULL, &Sink, NULL );

TRACE(( "search_callback(): ConnectionManager_GetProtocolInfo() = %s\n", (success) ? "TRUE" : "FALSE" ));

if ( success && Sink )
apparently success can be true, yet the sink can be null ( reproducible 100% using rhythmbox + coherence media plugin )

another problem is that the scanner doesn't seem to make my Philips streamium NP1100 render available as sink( it does appear correctly in other apps ), here's a dump with debug 6 build which includes the rhythmbox/coherence problem:
http://filebin.graasmilk.net/log.txt
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

BrainDamage wrote: apparently success can be true, yet the sink can be null ( reproducible 100% using rhythmbox + coherence media plugin )
Should not happen. I will install the coherence media plugin myself on week-end and take a look at it.

Since this is not of interest for a consumer forum, I suggest we handle this via e-mail. So could you please send me your e-mail address? (You'll find mine within the sources of Leia.)

Axel
yellowelans4

Post by yellowelans4 »

Hi Axel,

will you be offering a beta to work with the new Davaar firmware just available from Linn?

Hope you can as Leia continues to be my favourite control point

Many Thanks
Keith
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

yellowelans4 wrote:will you be offering a beta to work with the new Davaar firmware just available from Linn?
I'm already working on it, but unfortunately my spare time is currently very limited. (I do have a full-time job, a wife and two cats :wink: ) I hope to get an adapted version soon, but due to the current situation I can't offer a time-line yet, I'm sorry.
yellowelans4

Post by yellowelans4 »

Yes I understand Axel time is precious and no doubt Davaar will drive an extensive update to Leia

Happy though that you are still prepared to support the old Nokias - I fully realise there are far fewer of us than there used to be

Keith
Linnsomniak

Post by Linnsomniak »

sommerfee wrote:
yellowelans4 wrote:will you be offering a beta to work with the new Davaar firmware just available from Linn?
I'm already working on it, but unfortunately my spare time is currently very limited. (I do have a full-time job, a wife and two cats :wink: ) I hope to get an adapted version soon, but due to the current situation I can't offer a time-line yet, I'm sorry.
Please keep up the good work Axel. I am a very happy user of Leia on the Nokia. It is such a reliable product and keeps on working while the flakey stuff continues to fail.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Leia 0.6-1 for Nokia IT available

Post by sommerfee »

A first Davaar-aware (alpha) version 0.6-1 is available right now:

http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/experimental/

(It should still work with Auskerry, Bute, and Cara.)

Currently only the Nokia version is ready, the other ones (SmartQ, Linux, Windows) will follow soon.

Edit: Replaced "tomorrow" by "soon" ;-)
Last edited by sommerfee on 2011-04-24 17:31, edited 3 times in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Great work, Axel!
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Leia 0.6-1 for Nokia IT available

Post by sommerfee »

sommerfee wrote:Currently only the Nokia version is ready, the other ones (SmartQ, Linux, Windows) will follow soon.
The other ones are available now, too.

Furthermore I refreshed the Nokia version since an adaption to Twonky 6.0.x album art was missing.

(The Linux & Windows version may look unfamiliar, if you don't like it you can switch back via option "Classic user interface" which can be found in the "Customize" dialog.)
yellowelans4

Post by yellowelans4 »

Thanks Axel seems to be working fine so far

The only thing I have noticed is that when my Nokia 810 is left idle for a while then Leia playlist will have lost sync with the DS. There is no easy way to refresh this other than closing/opening Leia - this toggles the DS in and out of standby which is a bit of a pain.

Could a "DS power switch" be added inside Leia to help - plus stopping Leia toggling power when opened/closed (similar to KDT)- Leia finds sync OK when toggled of course

many thanks for the continued support to Leia
Keith
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

yellowelans4 wrote:The only thing I have noticed is that when my Nokia 810 is left idle for a while then Leia playlist will have lost sync with the DS.
This should not happen, what firmware version are you using on your DS?
There is no easy way to refresh this other than closing/opening Leia - this toggles the DS in and out of standby which is a bit of a pain.
That's a good idea - will implement such "Refresh Playlist" feature in version 0.6 alpha 2.
Could a "DS power switch" be added inside Leia to help - plus stopping Leia toggling power when opened/closed (similar to KDT)- Leia finds sync OK when toggled of course
I took that on my TODO list.

Axel
yellowelans4

Post by yellowelans4 »

thanks for the prompt reply Axel

I was using 4.1.8 on a sneaky DS when this happened - have now moved to 4.1.9 will check this out again over the next day or so

Keith
gdhgdh

Post by gdhgdh »

Axel,

Many thanks for picking the development up again - it's a great control point - am really looking forward to the 0.8 series where seeking is due to be implemented! :)

Keep up the great work!
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Version 0.6-2 available

Post by sommerfee »

Just a short note that a new experimental version 0.6-2 is available now.

From the changelog:

* Browsing of "Local Folder" added (FLAC, OGG Vorbis, MP3, WAV/1/2/16) (not avail for Nokia edition)
* Search for Media Servers moved to background task
* Selected Media Renderer could now be set as default
* New menu item "Playlist" => "Refresh view" (for Linn DS only)
* Drag & Drop of Audio and Playlist files added (not avail for Nokia/SmartQ edition)
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Unfortunately the version 0.6-2 was build from the wrong code base which did not contain the latest changes. I just have build & uploaded all versions again.

So if you have already downloaded this version, please download and install again. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
N900_col

Re: Leia DS for n900

Post by N900_col »

MarkP wrote:I've been using Leia DS on an n800 for a long while now and it's great, many thanks...

I've just changed phones to a Nokia n900 and it would be great to use Leia DS on that as well. Any chance of a port for Maemo 5, or is it possible to run Leia DS under Maemo 5 "as is"?
MarkP, I know it is 18-months since your post but I have only just got a 2nd hand N900 as replacement for my lost N96 and recently found this forum while searching for how I could install LeiaDS. Sorry if I am repeating a known solution but nowhere have I been able to find an answer to your question. After trial and effort, I have determined that LeiaDS will work on an N900. For anyone interested this is how I installed it.

I am no Linux expert, in fact I have no experience prior to acquiring my N900, so I am sure experts will be able to come up with a simpler method. Also because I took several wrong turns I have tried to reorder the actual steps I took into a more direct process, hopefully without missing anything.

Taking the statement “Note: It will NOT run in a satisfactory manner on the Nokia N900.” from the website http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/ to mean that it wouldn’t work in Maemo I decided to give it a try under Easy Debian. My first step was therefore to install Easy Debian, as described on the following web page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

Thereafter the steps I found necessary were:

1. Install “Extra Decoders Support” using the N900 applications manager. It may not be essential for LeiaDS but it allows playing FLAC with the N900 media player and proved I could stream from Twonky on my PC to the N900.

2. Open Debian LXDE

3. On the LXDE desktop open My Documents (or Menu > System Tools > PCMan File Manager). Although not apparent this opens in /home/user.

4. Select File > Create New > Folder and call it leiads.

5. On the left-hand menu bar select the Globe icon to launch the web browser.

6. In the browser type in the web address http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/experimental/

7. Tap leiads_0.6-2_armel.tar.gz which will then download.

8. After the download is complete the Archive extraction application automatically opens. Select Action > Extract and you get prompted for an output folder.
Type in /home/user/leiads and confirm. Leia will be extracted into the folder you created in step 4.

9. Close the Archive and File manager applications and exit LXDE (Menu > Logout and select Logout from the pop-up menu).

10. Open Debian chroot

11. chmod 755 /home/user/leiads #ensures the folder is executable

12. chmod 755 /home/user/leiads/* #ensures all files in the folder are executable

13. cp /home/user/leiads/leiads /usr/local/bin # puts leiads app in a directory on $PATH

14. Create a file /home/user/LeiaDS with following content:
cd /home/user/leiads
leiads

15. exit

16. Open Maemo X-Terminal

17. Now you need a suitable menu icon for Leia. Having previously experimented with Zhaan I used its icon as follows:
sudo cd /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon
sudo cp zhaan.png leiads.png

18. Next create a .desktop file, I copied an existing one:

sudo cd /usr/share/applications/hildon
sudo cp xxxx.desktop leiads.desktop

19. sudo vi leiads.desktop
and edit the file’s content to read:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=LeiaDS
Icon=leiads
Exec=debbie /home/user/LeiaDS
Type=Application

20. exit and reboot the N900 to pick up the icon file.

You should now have a LeiaDS icon in the applications menu (and be able to copy the shortcut to one of the desktop views).

The screen resolution may not be ideal; this can be adjusted using the Debian LXDEdesktop and selecting Menu > Preferences > Appearance. I choose the MurinaNightOrange scheme and set the font as DejaVu Sans 16 point but at this point you can experiment to find one that suits you.

As far as I can tell Leia works perfectly with my Akurate DS/ Akurate Kontrol. I haven’t tried lastfm or radiotime (never use them) but the Linn radio presets work as does streaming from Twonky on my PC and volume control.

I don’t know how to install Leia directly into Maemo but once you have it installed under Easy Debian you can also run it from Maemo X-Terminal but the screen is scaled up so not all the controls fit; in particular the volume slider is missing. It is possible however to configure just the +/- controls and these become available if a small triangle in the bottom right of the screen is tapped.

To enable Leia in Maemo launch X-Terminal and cp /home/user/leiads/leiads /usr/bin to put leiads on the Maemo $PATH. Running Leia now only requires sh /home/user/LeiaDS.

Sommerfee, thanks, LeiaDS is a great app and it’s brilliant on the N900.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi N900_col,
N900_col wrote:Taking the statement “Note: It will NOT run in a satisfactory manner on the Nokia N900.” from the website http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/ to mean that it wouldn’t work in Maemo
Yes, it is meant this way. One user has installed it and although it seemed to work the UI experience was very bad. Some icons where missing, the volume slider didn't show up etc. He was disappointed in the end so I decided to put the above warning on Leia's home page.
I decided to give it a try under Easy Debian.
I did not know it's possible to do so. Only have heard of Maemo5 and MeeGo running on the N900 so far.

Regarding the installation under Easy Debian: You'll find the files leiads.desktop and leiads.png within the source tarball leiads-0.6-2.tar.gz so there is no need to build them on your own.

Are you able to install a GTK+ build environment on Easy Debian? Being able to install the Debian meta packages "build-essential" and "libgtk2.0-dev" is sufficient to compile Leia. Afterwards one should be able to unpack leiads-0.6-2.tar.gz and do a "make" to compile Leia, adapt the Makefile regarding paths (if necessary) and do a "make install" to install Leia. This seems to be easier than doing all necessary steps by hand.
As far as I can tell Leia works perfectly with my Akurate DS/ Akurate Kontrol.
That's really good news.
but the screen is scaled up so not all the controls fit; in particular the volume slider is missing. It is possible however to configure just the +/- controls and these become available if a small triangle in the bottom right of the screen is tapped.
There is another option called "Volume button". It only needs a single icon within the toolbar, when you select it a volume bar will pop-up. Unfortunately this needs GTK+ 2.12 or newer, and currently I build the armel versions of Leia with GTK+ 2.10 (since the N8x0 only offer this old version of GTK+). So if you are able to build Leia on the N900 (see above) you should have the "Volume button" option afterwards.

Another idea would be dropping the "back" button, so there is more space for the volume stuff. I will add this in the next version 0.6-3. If you are able to compile Leia for yourself, you could remove the line 263 in browser.c which is called "gtk_toolbar_insert( toolbar, ti_go_back, -1 )". This would prevent adding the back button to the toolbar.

if you have any questions about all this stuff, please don't hesitate to ask.

Axel
N900_col

Post by N900_col »

Hi Axel,

Thanks for your response. Not sure I can answer all your points, as I previously said I am a newbie to Linux, but a few observations:
I did not know it's possible to do so. Only have heard of Maemo5 and MeeGo running on the N900 so far.
Easy Debian is hosted under Maemo 5; it is not a separate boot as I understand would be the case with MeeGo. The neat thing is that Debian apps such as OpenOffice and the GIMP (and Leia DS) can be integrated on to the Maemo desktop.
Regarding the installation under Easy Debian: You'll find the files leiads.desktop and leiads.png within the source tarball leiads-0.6-2.tar.gz so there is no need to build them on your own.
I had downloaded the pre-compiled source so didn't get either .desktop or .png files. I have now downloaded leiads-0.6-2.tar.gz and looked at the .png files. As a result I now have a proper leiads icon by copying ..../icons/scalable/leaids.png.

I haven't bothered replacing my .desktop file with the one from the distribution but a note for anyone who tries Leia DS under Easy Debian on the N900; the Exec= line in the supplied .desktop file would need to be modified to:

Exec=debbie /usr/bin/leiads

Unless the line includes the "debbie" command Leia DS will attempt to execute in Maemo 5 and therefore have the interface scaling problem.
Are you able to install a GTK+ build environment on Easy Debian?
I really don't know. I cannot see anything about a build environment at http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian, which is where I have got all I know about Easy Debian.

Re my previous
but the screen is scaled up so not all the controls fit; in particular the volume slider is missing. It is possible however to configure just the +/- controls and these become available if a small triangle in the bottom right of the screen is tapped.
The screen scaling problem is only apparent if trying to run in Maemo 5. Under Easy Debian all controls, including the volume slider, are available. Even if running from a Maemo menu icon Leia will run in Easy Debian, and therefore have the volume slider, as long as the Exec line in .desktop has the "debbie" command.
There is another option called "Volume button". It only needs a single icon within the toolbar, when you select it a volume bar will pop-up.
I think the "volume button" is probably what I was referring to as the triangle in the bottom right corner. This becomes available when using Leia DS in Maemo 5 by set Tools > Customise > Volume > +/-buttons. Tapping on the button (triangle) then brings up a pop-up menu with + - and mute options.

I have, since my first post, discovered one slight glitch in Leia DS under Easy Debian. It doesn't really affect use because it only manifests in the Customisation options: the picklists to change things, such as the volume control options, don't stay open. Tap on the down chevron and the list appears but immediately vanishes before an option can be selected. However if one presses and holds the down chevron and slides the stylus left into the list without releasing pressure on the screen the list stays open and the stylus slid up/down the list until required option has been selected. This maybe a problem with my Easy Debian configuration rather than Leia DS because perversely the picklists work correctly in Maemo 5.

Anyway I am very happy with Leia DS on my N900 and, despite the odd glitch, I'd recommend Linn DS owners with Nokia N900 to give it a try.

Thanks once again for a great application.

Colin.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi Colin,
N900_col wrote:I really don't know. I cannot see anything about a build environment at http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian, which is where I have got all I know about Easy Debian.
I just have read http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian#Insta ... plications a short time and get the impression that it should work since you have access to the whole Debian Squeeze repository. The command to install the build stuff is "apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev", but since this will include a compiler, make, development libraries etc. But since it will install really many files and will take some amount of disc space I don't know if it's a good idea doing so on the N900.

But since Easy Debian will run on a N8x0 as well, I will try that myself in the near future.
I think the "volume button" is probably what I was referring to as the triangle in the bottom right corner. This becomes available when using Leia DS in Maemo 5 by set Tools > Customise > Volume > +/-buttons. Tapping on the button (triangle) then brings up a pop-up menu with + - and mute options.
You get the triangle because not all toolbar buttons fit on the screen. And while "+/- buttons" will give you two buttons, the "Volume button" will give you only one instead, and the up-popping volume slider will not only contain +/- buttons, but an volume slider, too. (I will make a screenshot later on.)

I will try to build an ARM version of Leia which contains the "Volume button" as option within the next weeks. Currently I'm building the ARM version using the Maemo4 development environment and since the Maemo4 libraries are very outdated the "Volume button" option is currently not available in the ARM build of Leia.

Axel