Leia DS - a DS application running on Nokia N800/810

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Nicolav wrote:Maybe I've found the problem. If I disable Nod32 antivirus Leia DS don't crash but a new error message appears.
Strange. Why does a antivirus software makes an application (which consists of only one single file) crash? Is there any chance that you can list leiads.exe as an exception it should not scan? And what happens if you scan leiads.exe as file without starting it? (leiads.exe is working fine here using the antivirus software "Avira AntiVir Premium".)
That's very bad since subscribing to the UPnP event service of the DS is essential, otherwise Leia DS will "drive blind". Currently I have no idea why the DS has refused that subscription on your system. (The error code "500" is coming from the DS, not from Leia DS.) What DS do you have (Sneaky, Majik, Akurate or Klimax) and what is the software version number of the DS? (You can find this out using the "Info..." menu item.)

And could you please try out the version leiads_0.2-5_win32_d6.zip I just uploaded, just start the application, wait until the error message appears, and then exit it by using the menu item "Quit (and keep log file)" in the debug menu. ("d6" means with full debug output) Afterwards you should have a log file with about 50k size in your personal folder. Could you please send me this log file via e-mail? This would be very kind.

Axel
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Sorry, it's only my fault...
I turn off and on the DS and now all is working! :D

Now that works this is a beatiful software, thank you for your efforts Axel.

Regards
Nicola
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
flax

Post by flax »

Leia DS works great with one exception:

I linked TwonkyMedia (V4.4.6) to my iTunes-Library (Songs coded as mp3 and apple lossless) to use the iTunes playlists.
When I try to open the folder "playlists" Leia DS hangs an shuts down after about 20-30 seconds.

DS is an akurate DS.
Nokia OS is 2008

any Ideas?

regards
Flax
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi Flax,

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no experience with iTunes and such combination. But I'll try to setup this myself and can hopefully fix it within the next days. Is it sufficient to setup the "iTunes library file" in Twonky? Do I have to setup something additionally?

Do you have a PC running Windows? If yes: Could you please install the Leia DS version leiads_0.2-5_win32_d6.zip on your PC? (Installation instructions for Windows can be found on my Leia DS web page.) It should show the same behaviour, but afterwards you should find a file called leisds-xxx.log (where xxx is a timestamp) within your home directory. Could you please send me this log file to my e-mail address? This would be very kind.

Axel
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

After some struggling I finally got it working. Here is how I had to setup it within Twonky:

1. Sharing => Content Locations: Here the iTunes directory must be listed, too, e.g. C:\Dokuments and Settings\Axel\My Documents\My Music\iTunes

2. External Applications => iTunes library file: This must be set to the XML file (and not the ITL file), e.g. C:\Dokuments and Settings\Axel\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml

Afterwards it worked for me (but Twonky shows no iTunes playlists but all iTunes tracks instead, is this the normal behaviour?), no problems with Leia DS 0.2-5. So I need your log file to make further assumptions what the problem might be...

BTW: What version of Twonky are you using? From reading the WWW I got the impression that the iTunes support is broken in some versions. (I got it finally working using version 4.4.9.)

Axel
flax

Post by flax »

So, sorry for the delay,

I have set up leia ds on my xp-notebook and behavior ist the same.
But: since I moved the library from the nas to a mac mini, leia ds does not crash on opening "playlists". It hangs for some seconds and then opens a list of all tracks but no list of the playlists.
With all other selectings it works perfect. Also with mediastreamer or LinnGui on XP everything works fine and the playlists are shown as they should.

Twonkymedia is version 4.4.9
The logfile is on the way to your mail-adress...

Thanks
Flax
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

flax wrote:But: since I moved the library from the nas to a mac mini, leia ds does not crash on opening "playlists". It hangs for some seconds
It seems that loading of the directory took a too long time for Leia DS before. However, I will improve this (and will show an animation if loading of a directory takes some time).
and then opens a list of all tracks but no list of the playlists.
Will fix this ASAP, too.

Thanks for testing and the log file!

Axel
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

I just released an updated version 0.2 for the Nokia ITs, Linux, and Windows; it's named 0.2-6. As always you'll find it here:

http://leiads.sommerfee.f-m.fm/stable/

From the changelog:

* Browser: If opening a folder takes more than 1s an animation will be shown
* Browser: If-there-is-only-one-folder-open-it-automatically feature revised (so the iTunes playlists will be shown)
* Playlist: File format revised (internal version is now "2")
* Bugfix: Twonky playlists will be treated as albums (instead of folders) now

The change in the playlist file format especially means that the
playlists will now stay valid even if the IP address(es) of the
server(s) changes. (But they are still not resistant against "Rebuild
database" in Twonky!) Old playlist files can still be read, too, but are
(still) only valid if the IP address of the server has not changed.

Axel
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

1. I'm searching for 1-2 beta testers who would like to test Leia DS with more-than-one DS in her/his network. If you are interested please drop me a short e-mail or personal message.

2. As I have found out within the last days Leia DS does not install on all OS2008 versions. There was an official beta version of OS2008 from Nokia, and trying to install Leia DS on it will fail with a version conflict on "libhildonfm2". So if you had this problem but did not know why, please install a release version of OS2008 on your Nokia first and try to install Leia DS afterwards.

Axel
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I am really curious about your Leia application, Axel.

Hope I will soon meet a customer that uses it, so that I can try it out in real life.

Best of luck with your continued work on it!
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

As a user I can tell you I love it :D
There is the occasional error message if I leave the app open without using it for some time, but in general use it is spot on.....and no gaps!!!!!

Lennart
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Ducky wrote:There is the occasional error message if I leave the app open without using it for some time
What error message do you get here? (There shouldn't be any.)

Axel
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Sommerfee,

If I pick up the N810 after not using it for a couple of hours and for instance I try to clear the playlist, I get the message:

error in function 'ClearPlaylist':
Media_playlistDelete() = 500

Faultcode = s.Client
faultstring = UPnPError
errorcode = 801
errorDescription = Invalid track index

Does that help? If I close Leia and start it again, I can then clear the playlist without any problems. I reckoned it was some sort of time-out.

Lennart
MarkP

Great application

Post by MarkP »

Many thanks from a new user of the app. Does exactly what I need / want - in particular
- syncs playlist with the DS so can turn off the N800 without the music stopping
- (usable) volume control
- can save playlists - any chance of ability to save them back to the (twonky) server?

Only problem I've found was when using it at a Linn Dealer where couldn't work out how to select a DS where multiple DSs on the network? Not sure where else that's going to be an issue!

Anything I can do in return / to help with development?
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Great application

Post by sommerfee »

Hi Mark,
MarkP wrote:- can save playlists - any chance of ability to save them back to the (twonky) server?
Unfortunately not. What Leia DS is getting from Twonky is only metadata, not the original folder and file names. So there is no chance of mapping them back.
Only problem I've found was when using it at a Linn Dealer where couldn't work out how to select a DS where multiple DSs on the network?
This feature is currently in beta test, a new version 0.3 will hopefully be released very soon. See http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... =4714#4714
Anything I can do in return / to help with development?
Yes, you can participate in the current beta test, if you want to. I'll send you a PM will the details.

Axel
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi Ducky,

Sorry for the long delay, I was very busy the last weeks but finally I found some time to take a look at this issue within the last days:
Ducky wrote:If I pick up the N810 after not using it for a couple of hours and for instance I try to clear the playlist, I get the message:

error in function 'ClearPlaylist':
Media_playlistDelete() = 500

Faultcode = s.Client
faultstring = UPnPError
errorcode = 801
errorDescription = Invalid track index
This is an error message coming from the DS itself. It complains that the total track number is out-of-sync with Leia DS. This is strange since the only idea I have is that the DS has rebooted itself and therefore lost his playlist in the mean time!? (Very unlikely!) However, when clearing playlists I will always synchronize myself prior of deleting tracks from the playlist in the upcoming version 0.3 (*), hopefully this will help.

I also got some timeout messages (errorcode -1) when using latest Bute firmware, I will see what I can do about it in the next days. (I did not had such problems with previous firmwares, so all of this is a little bit strange...)

Axel

(*) Version 0.3 is planned to be released this week-end.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

This is sort of a weird request but being LeiaDS so good I would like it to be able to control other UPnP V1.0 media renderers, for example GMediarender.

I'm setting up a Linux/Ubuntu PC in my bedroom and I'm currently using GMediarender as the media renderer with flac files being served by Twonky. It sounds really good on my humble Naim Nait2/Rega Kytes system but got dissapointed with Nokia's Mediastreamer prehistorical features compared to LeiaDS.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Vic, what a blasphemous thought, shame on you! :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Now honestly: I think this would be a good idea but I fear I have to struggle with the same problems as the Nokia Media Streamer, means: Missing track skips = unwanted stops when the device is in sleep mode. But you'll never know until you try! So I decided to try it in the future but can't estimate when I will have time for that.

Axel
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

A new version 0.3-3 can be found at http://leiads.sommerfee.f-m.fm/ right now.

From the changelog:

* Support for multiple DS devices added (*)
* Keyboard handling and layout revised
* UPnP searching for devices revised (and 10s HTTP/GET timeout added)
* Browser: If-there-is-only-a-"Music"-folder-open-it-automatically revised (again), so hopefully this works better now
* Some small bugfixes resp. workarounds

A big thanks to all beta testers and all who contributed ideas and bug reports! Leia DS would not be what it is today without you!

Axel

(*) If more-than-one DS will be found on the network, a selection dialog should appear automatically. Later on the DS can be changed using the appropriate menu item, or by clicking on the name of the DS within the playlist page (=the title of the playlist list).
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

sommerfee wrote:Vic, what a blasphemous thought, shame on you! :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
Yep, I thought the same and felt ashamed of myself. But what the heck, a bit of liquor cured that! :mrgreen:

Will try latest version tonite (if my kids let me!!!) :roll:
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Sommerfee,

I have not had any more 'time out' error messages since I installed the new version. Whatever you changed, it seems to work.

Kind regards,

Lennart
poppop

Post by poppop »

Hi Axel

On the basis of what I have been reading here, I bought an N800 of ebay for £85. Updated the software immediately, and all is working very well.

Its been in use for around 1 week now and saves me wandering around with the laptop!!

Many thanks for all the work and effort you have put into this product - particularly as you seem to do it for fun!!

Steve.
Martyn

Nokia N810 running Leia DS problem

Post by Martyn »

Hi

Firstly thanks for the Leia DS software, we are using it on a number of our customers systems and it has been working a treat!

One issue i've been having though is that on a system which is using Twonky Media on a AVA RS3 when 'Internet Radio' is selected on the N810 the program just closes!

Any ideas?
poppop

Post by poppop »

Martyn

Yes, getting the same with the N800, when I "browse" internet radio. But when I select replace playlist, it works fine??

Steve.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

@Lennart:
Ducky wrote:Whatever you changed, it seems to work.
Good to know that the workaround seems to work fine. But I will remove it for myself anyway so I can investigate into this further within the next days. I will keep you informed.

@Steve: Thanks for the flowers! Yes, developing Leia DS is fun, and it's even more fun when other people find it useful as well.

@Martyn and Steve: Thanks for the bug report. My DS isn't connected to the internet, so I never tested this. But I will do this in the next days and fix that issue.

Warm regards,
Axel