Leia DS - a DS application running on Nokia N800/810

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

sommerfee wrote:If you start the "X Terminal" application and start Leia DS by typing "leiads" there, you should see a message in the X Terminal saying how the name of the log file is.

Axel

?
Probably me causing the confusion Axel

Mick - the log file on my Nokia gets created in the Nokia N800 folder, not the Documents folder within that.

'troll
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Sorry guys - me being stupid. Too many late night calls to work and not enough sleep!

After trying "album", Leia apears to crash and the log contains this:-

Leia DS 0.1 (Aug 14 2008 21:16:02)
GTK 2.10.12
GLIB 2.12.12
LANG = en_GB -> 0
*** service_url(): "urn:linn-co-uk:serviceId:Preamp" not found!
*** upnp_action(): "urn:linn-co-uk:serviceId:Preamp" not found!
******* FATAL:
******* _xml_strcpy(): 177 >= 128

If I run Leia DS from the terminal window, there's some other stuff there as well - let me know if you need it and I'll do a copy and paste to put it here.

I'm using Twonky 4.4.5 installed on my ReadyNAS Duo.

Mick.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

=> PM
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

sommerfee wrote:=> PM
...and a PM right back!
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

...and sorted by the ever resourceful Axel! It was due to one album having a title that was 176 characters long - it was classical, and EAC (with freedb) had titled it with the full names of each composer, the full titles of each piece on the CD, the orchestra, orchestra leader and all the soloists!

Phew! All working again now...

Mick.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Great stuff.

'troll
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

That's good news, thanks a lot for testing, Mick!

I will sort some other small issues out next week and do a proper 0.1-14 release containing this patch afterwards. I'll keep you informed here.

Axel
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

sommerfee wrote:I will sort some other small issues out next week and do a proper 0.1-14 release containing this patch afterwards.
...done. A new version 0.1-14 without the bug Wolfie has found and with an optimized (regarding time & memory) playlist saving algorithm is available now.

Known issues: It seems that loading playlists has a limit/bug on Bute DS devices (about 160k of playlist size?), but seems to work on my Auskerry DS without problems - just loaded a playlist to my DS containing 439 tracks with about 500k size.

Axel
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

sommerfee wrote:
sommerfee wrote:I will sort some other small issues out next week and do a proper 0.1-14 release containing this patch afterwards.
...done. A new version 0.1-14 without the bug Wolfie has found and with an optimized (regarding time & memory) playlist saving algorithm is available now.

Known issues: It seems that loading playlists has a limit/bug on Bute DS devices (about 160k of playlist size?), but seems to work on my Auskerry DS without problems - just loaded a playlist to my DS containing 439 tracks with about 500k size.

Axel
Axel - would it be worth mentioning this bug on the Linn forum in case no-one's aware of it?

Mick

PS And thanks for yet another build to play with!
teatime

Post by teatime »

Cool stuff! Can't wait to try it. :)

Btw, do you do any testing with Mediatomb? I tried 0.1-12 and it was pretty much perfect with Twonky, but didn't work at all with Mediatomb.

I've looked a bit at the code and have been planning to have a closer look at what the problem with Mediatomb is, but haven't had much time yet. So far, all I've managed to find out is that an assert is triggered.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

teatime wrote:Btw, do you do any testing with Mediatomb?
Yes, the version 0.1-12 should work with MediaTomb and Bute DS devices, and the versions 0.1-13 and 0.1-14 should work with MediaTomb and Auskerry DS devices additionally.
So far, all I've managed to find out is that an assert is triggered.
Please try the actual version 0.1-14 first. If it still asserts, please send me the corresponding code line so hopefully I get an idea what is going wrong there. (In this case a short log file called leiads-xxx.log (with xxx = start date+time) can be found in the user directory which contains the infomation I need.)

Axel
teatime

Post by teatime »

I've been using 0.1-14 with Mediatomb 0.11 most of the evening, and haven't run into a single problem. Great work! Thanks heaps! :D

I'm very impressed with Leia DS. It doesn't get in my way and feels a lot faster than the claustrophobic nokia mediastreamer app. Great stuff!
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Last edited by sommerfee on 2010-05-14 11:35, edited 2 times in total.
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

Excellent. It all works perfectly Axel. Your efforts are much appreciated.

m@h
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Sommerfee,

I tried loading a saved playlist but it didn't play. I could see the loaded playlist on the playlist overview page, but at the now playing screen I only got the message 'end of playlist'. Pressing play on either the overview or now playing screen didn't help. Doubleclicking songs didn't work either.

Does that sound familiar?

Regular loading and playing flac files works like a charm and there is cover art as well. This is getting better and better. Even my wife has switched from MediaStreamer even after I warned her that Leia was still a work in progress. Now that is a compliment :D

Kind regards,

Lennart
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Ducky wrote:Does that sound familiar?
Unfortunately yes.

Saving playlists in Leia DS is some kind of wrong software design. Leia DS (or any other control point) gets the meta data from the server, including the URL(s) to the song(s), and transfer it to the DS. When you load the playlist afterwards, the URL could be wrong because either the IP address of the server has changed or the URL has changed because the database of the server was completely rebuild in the main time. But the DS needs this URL to play the song. (You could even send me your playlist and I could load it into my DS successfully. But of course it won't play.)

So if you want to have resistant playlists, it's a very much better idea to save it (as m3u file) on the server and select it in the media browser afterwards.

But I decided to keep this feature in Leia DS anyway, because I think it's nice to have a possibility of saving playlists temporary. And if the server is configured to have a fixed IP address these playlists will usually work fine.

Beside this the next version of Leia DS will have an automatic IP-address-correction feature to get around of the problem that the IP address of the server has changed. And a future version of Leia DS will have a "repair" function, too, so it can repair playlists if the database of the server has changed in a way that the URLs to the songs had become invalid. Both will hopefully make the playlist-saving feature of Leia DS more usable. [1]
Even my wife has switched from MediaStreamer even after I warned her that Leia was still a work in progress. Now that is a compliment :D
:D Send her my best wishes!

Axel

[1] Saving a playlist in Leia DS is some kind of bookmarking postings from this forum within your web browser, but with fixed IP address, for example http://195.47.247.60/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4485#4485. If the IP address of Fredriks server changes, this URL will become invalid. For that reason DNS was invented and the URL will be bookmarked as http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... =4485#4485 instead, "www.lejonklou.com" will be translated to the actual IP address of Fredriks server whenever needed. "DNS for UPnP servers" - that's I will implement in the next version of Leia DS to handle this problem.

Now consider Fredrik will reorganize the database of his forum. Then "p=4485" will point to the wrong posting because the reorganization of the database has renumbered all the postings. Exactly that is happening when someone uses "Rebuild database" in Twonky, all of the songs will get renumbered so all the links inside the saved playlists will become invalid! Unfortunately this is not easy to handle.
Last edited by sommerfee on 2008-10-29 21:17, edited 4 times in total.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Sommerfee,

Thanks for the reply. Understood and no problem. I will create a new playlist which should work for now.

Thanks,

Lennart
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Just added installation instructions for Linux and Windows:
(due the problems above I disabled playlist saving here)

http://leiads.sommerfee.f-m.fm/

Image Image
Last edited by sommerfee on 2010-04-05 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Wow! Looks awesome, Axel! Can't wait to try it when I get home.

And a standalone Linux version? You spoil us! :D

Great work!
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Hi Axel, the windows version crash immediately after the start. The window of Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library report: "This application as requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information".

I'm running under Vista, so maybe this could be a problem...
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Nicolav wrote:Hi Axel, the windows version crash immediately after the start. The window of Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library report: "This application as requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information".

Maybe. I do not have Vista so unfortunately I can't test it myself. But maybe it's a different problem? Could you please post the log file here? Leia DS should have droped one into the "My documents" folder, it's called leiads-xxxxx.log where xxxxx is a date & time stamp.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

sommerfee wrote:
Nicolav wrote:Hi Axel, the windows version crash immediately after the start. The window of Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library report: "This application as requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information".

Maybe. I do not have Vista so unfortunately I can't test it myself. But maybe it's a different problem? Could you please post the log file here? Leia DS should have droped one into the "My documents" folder, it's called leiads-xxxxx.log where xxxxx is a date & time stamp.
Axel, I have several log files in "my documents" folder ie
"leiads-2008-10-14-11-54.log" but all files are empty (0 kb)!
I'll try to post a screenshot of the error window.
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

All of this is a little bit strange because beside two functions (one which determines the user directory which obviously works as expected, and one which determines the language) I do not use the Windows API directly, but the GTK+ API instead. And I found no signs in the WWW that any of the GTK+ stuff makes problems with Vista.

But I would like to try out one thing anyway: Could you please try out the new version I just uploaded? The new archiv is called leiads_0.2-5_win32_d0.zip, with "_d0" inside the file name. This would be very kind.

Anyone else here with Windows Vista who could try if Leia DS works on his computer or not? For just trying if it starts or not you don't even need to have a DS.
Last edited by sommerfee on 2008-10-14 20:36, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

I'm running Vista SP1 with all updates and both of those versions of Leia run fine for me:-

Mick
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Maybe I've found the problem. If I disable Nod32 antivirus Leia DS don't crash but a new error message appears.

Clicking "ok" Leia DS seem to work but it's impossible add tracks or album to a playlist. However the DS display all tracks of the playlist! :shock:

PS This happens with both xp sp3 and vista sp1.