Leia DS - a DS application running on Nokia N800/810

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

sommerfee wrote: - It doesn't crash if it detects a Windows Media Player as UPnP server (But I don't know if Windows Media Player will work as server!)
Just tried and Leia DS crashes if it's selected - the 'info' box shows it as "Windows Media Player Sharing" - if I select it this is the result:-

-> browse_server_or_container( id = "0", title = "LOFT: Mike:" )
-> browse()
-> browse_direct_children( ObjectID = 0 )
leiads[1373]: GLIB ERROR ** default - file src/princess/upnp.c: line 858 (service_url): assertion failed: (strlen( url ) < sizeof( url ))
aborting...
Aborted

I've found out how to stop Media Player from sharing in Vista:-

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... mspx#EGEAC

...with the result that Leia DS now goes straight into my music.
sommerfee wrote:Upps, this shouldn't happen, if version 0.1-12 can't find a DS, it should issue an error message but not crash. Can you reproduce this error?

BTW: My WLAN router is about 15m away. I don't think that this should be a problem
Well, I've not yet been able to reproduce this, as it 'sees' the DS every time at the moment. I'll continue to run Leia DS from X-term so if it happens again I'll get a log. What happened originally is that the media server(s) showed up fine, but the application brought up a box to say it was unable to find a DS on the network. When I then tried to select my Twonky server it crashed (there's a small chance I selected the Windows server which would have had the same effect so don't worry yet - I'll keep trying to see if it re-occurs).

Mick.

PS Yesterday evening I uninstalled Nokia Media Streamer - I find it so much more relaxing now that I know tracks won't suddenly stop halfway through, or that the next track won't play.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

sommerfee wrote: Upps, this shouldn't happen, if version 0.1-12 can't find a DS, it should issue an error message but not crash. Can you reproduce this error?

BTW: My WLAN router is about 15m away. I don't think that this should be a problem.
Panic over - I must have selected the Windows server at the time, because any time I try this now it's fine, no crash at all.

Mick.
Last edited by Wolfie on 2008-08-09 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Wolfie wrote:That's a real shame - did you find one for a good price? Here in the UK Play.com are selling it for half the list price - £149 instead of £300, although as I believe it's been discontinued there are probably many stores selling for a similar amount.
Paypal just refunded my $$$!!!!!

Tonite I'm going to try reissuing the transaction again since my office network is really slow........

The N800 is being sold for USD $221.00

The site is:

http://www.techforless.com

Vic
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Finally my order went thru!!!
Last edited by vicdiaz on 2008-07-01 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Vic
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

vicdiaz wrote:Finally my oder went thru!!!
You may have to update it when it arrives - I bought mine at the start of May and it still had OS2007 on it.

Mick.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

AFAIK the N800 has never been shipped with OS2008 although it's available since December last year. Maybe because all N800 have been manufactured before that date? Anyway, even if you don't plan to use Leia DS I would strongly recommend the update to the recent OS2008 version since it's much more stable than it's predecessors. The Nokia Media Streamer was quite unusable with OS2006, it really crashed a lot. With OS2007, it worked much better, but got additional stability with OS2008.

It's a shame the N800 is not manufactured anymore (so if someone considers buying one, he should buy it NOW), at least in my eyes it's better for controlling the Linn DS family than the N810:

- It has its hardkeys on the front [1]
- It's cheaper

[1] Currently the hard keys on the front of the Nokia are hard wired to Volume +/-, Mute and Skip +/- in Leia DS, but this will change in version 0.3.
Last edited by sommerfee on 2009-11-07 09:25, edited 2 times in total.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Would it be possible to control the volume if I am not connected to a Linn Kontrol pre-amp?
My Akurate is connected to a Lavardin IT (an integrated amp which has no remote). Would be a nice bonus if I were able to control volume using the n810 (and Leia). I think I tried to control volume using MediaStreamer but this never seemed to work (with the akurate as renderer)

Lennart
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Ducky wrote:Would it be possible to control the volume if I am not connected to a Linn Kontrol pre-amp?
My Akurate is connected to a Lavardin IT (an integrated amp which has no remote).
AFAIK no. The Akurate + Klimax DS have no volume feature inside, so for a volume adjustment via UPnP (LinnGUI, Leia DS, ...) they are dependent on a supported Linn preamp connected via the RS232 ports.

The Sneaky + Majik DS have a digital volume feature inside, so their volume can be controlled via UPnP even when connected to a (fixed volume) input of an amplifier of a non-Linn brand.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Oh well, I guess no bonus for me this year then (again...) :lol:
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Wolfie wrote:
vicdiaz wrote:Finally my order went thru!!!
You may have to update it when it arrives - I bought mine at the start of May and it still had OS2007 on it.

Mick.
First thing to do as soon as it arrives!!!

:mrgreen:
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Finally my new N800 arrived yesterday!!!

Was a REAL pain to decipher the keys for the firmware upgrade since the process explicitly says 'Make sure the unit is powered off'. The process of powering it on by pressing the 'swap' and poweron button does not work from a powered-off condition. :evil: I issued a 'reboot' while pressing the above combination and finally I was able to perform the firmware upgrade. :shock:

LeiaDS works as expected from a very early version (even better I must say!!! :wink: ).

Excellent work!!!!
Vic
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

vicdiaz wrote:Was a REAL pain to decipher the keys for the firmware upgrade since the process explicitly says 'Make sure the unit is powered off'. The process of powering it on by pressing the 'swap' and poweron button does not work from a powered-off condition. :evil: I issued a 'reboot' while pressing the above combination and finally I was able to perform the firmware upgrade. :shock:
SOOO typical. :roll:
It's all about musical understanding!
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

vicdiaz wrote:The process of powering it on by pressing the 'swap' and poweron button does not work from a powered-off condition. :evil:
AFAIK this is a known bug in OS2007: Some N8x0 have problems during the power-on cycle under certain conditions. Sometimes it helps to try it very often, sometimes it helps to charge the unit (so it get's a little bit warmer), sometimes it helps to put the unit into the cooler (no joke!) for a small time.

This was fixed in OS2008, so after you finally got your Nokia updated these problems should have gone forever.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Hi Axel - I've noticed a peculiarity using Leia DS. I'm using a Majik DS, but I got the same thing with the Sneaky Music DS I had before that; if the DS has not been used for some hours, and I run up Leia DS, nine times out of ten it'll either not see the DS, or see neither the DS nor the media server. I can run it up again with no improvement.
However, if I then run up Nokia Media Streamer, that always sees the server and DS ok. I then close that and run up Leia again and then that's fine. Could this be a timeout of some sort?

Mick.

PS This is using 0.1-12...
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

That's strange... But the main problem is that the UPnP code of Leia DS is not 100% regarding the specs yet. I'm just revising the UPnP code (and adding debug facilities), so hopefully the next version will do better - or at least it should produce a debug log where I hopefully can see what's going wrong. (Hopefully such a version will be avail on next week-end.)

I don't believe it's a timeout issue, since currently the search timeout of Leia DS is too long - it waits longer for answers as necessary.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Alex,

Any new release for testing???

Vic
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

vicdiaz wrote:Alex
Who? :mrgreen:

Axel

P.S.: From www.wikipedia.org:

Axel is a Scandinavian, German and Hebrew given name meaning "Father of peace".

Alex is a shortened version of the male personal name Alexander or the female equivalent Alexandra. Both names mean "protector of men" or "defender of men".

P.P.S.: No, I'm sorry. I had extremely limited time for Leia DS at the end of June and the whole July, but started to re-organize and enhance some code during the last weeks, so Leia DS will get rid of some nasty limits (like the current playlist limit) and bugs. Hopefully I will have much more time for Leia DS during August.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Sorry for the mistake... :(

Vic
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

vicdiaz wrote:Sorry for the mistake... :(
Never mind, I'm used to that :wink: I just tell so people know that there is a substantial difference between "Alex" and "Axel". Afterwards they are free to call me whatever they like, even Bruce if they like to :mrgreen:

Back to topic: There is a new version 0.1-13 available right now. I'm sorry, nothing has changed in functionality so far, but this version should (hopefully) be more stable than its predecessor.

Axel
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Hi Axel - I've installed the new version and it's definitely an improvement - Leia now 'sees' both my DS and the media server every time I start it, which wasn't the case with the last version.
I know it's an early release, but I have one small problem - if I double-tap 'album' from the top screen the program disappears after a second or so. The last version did this too. Could it be a character in one of my album names that's causing this, do you think?
Many thanks

Mick.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Wolfie wrote:Hi Axel - I've installed the new version and it's definitely an improvement - Leia now 'sees' both my DS and the media server every time I start it, which wasn't the case with the last version.
I know it's an early release, but I have one small problem - if I double-tap 'album' from the top screen the program disappears after a second or so. The last version did this too. Could it be a character in one of my album names that's causing this, do you think?
Many thanks

Mick.
I haven't come across this and it works fine on my Nokia N800, but have all of your albums been ripped from your own CDs or is it possible that you have a flac file that has been downloaded or copied from another source? I have seen problems with ID3 tags cause problems for Media Streamer and versions of Twonky. I'm really not sure how you would go about finding the rogue album.

'troll
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

The albums have all been ripped from my CDs - initially I was experimenting with tag settings but I don't think there's anything untoward there. I can list tracks, artists & genres ok from that screen, and I can list by album if I use Mediastreamer, it's just the album listing with Leia that seems to have a problem, but I'll have a play - maybe I can narrow it down a little.

Thanks for the reply

Mick.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Mick,

can you have a look in your Documents folder on the Nokia and see if Leia has dumped a log-file there? If so, there may be some useful info for Axel in there.

'troll
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Unfortunately no sign of a log...
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

This is strange... The new version of Leia DS will always produce a log file, and this log file will be deleted if Leia DS will be closed normally. So when an abnormal program termination happens, there should be a log file in the documents folder.

If you start the "X Terminal" application and start Leia DS by typing "leiads" there, you should see a message in the X Terminal saying how the name of the log file is.

Axel

P.S.: What Server software are you using? Twonky?