Leia DS - a DS application running on Nokia N800/810

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

I just did a little presentation page about Leia DS, my own software for the Nokia ITs:

http://leiads.sommerfee.f-m.fm/
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Great stuff, well done and good luck completing the application.
It's all about musical understanding!
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

If at least you can get gapless playback to work and have the DS continue playing music while the Nokia sleeps that will be more than enough for me to buy the Nokia and pay you a fee for the software!!!

:mrgreen:
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

vicdiaz wrote:If at least you can get gapless playback to work and have the DS continue playing music while the Nokia sleeps that will be more than enough for me to buy the Nokia and pay you a fee for the software!!!

:mrgreen:
I've been using Leia DS for a couple of weeks and gapless playback definitely works as does the very fine volume adjustment of plus/minus 1. It's a real shame it stops working when you upgrade to Bute.

'Troll
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Moomintroll wrote: I've been using Leia DS for a couple of weeks and gapless playback definitely works as does the very fine volume adjustment of plus/minus 1. It's a real shame it stops working when you upgrade to Bute.

'Troll
:shock:

I'm already on 'Bute'

:cry:
Vic
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Don't panic. Very likely the application going to support Bute in next version. Correct Sommerfee?
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Finally I have a 'buted' DS and all the relevant information I need, so I will start with the adaption to Bute. But please be patient, I do this stuff in my spare time...

I'll keep you informed.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

The new version 0.1-10 should work with "Auskerry" and "Bute" firmware versions now: http://leiads.sommerfee.f-m.fm/

Furthermore it supports multiple media servers.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Awesome! Great work! :D

I just might be tempted to pick up a N810 now... 8)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Or wait on the person that currently work on a iPhone application so you can compare them.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

I allready have a N810 so my vote is clear :D

I am using Leia DS as we speak and I must say, two thumbs up. What does it do...it lets you play songs....that's it, but wait, that's all I really want it to do......all other stuff is just icing on the cake

Sommerfee, installation was a breeze. It all worked within a couple of seconds and gapless playback is a joy. Even this current development version will most likely replace mediastreamer on my N810. I look forward to future updates. This is only a few features away from being just right for me. THANKS!

Lennart
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Any way of getting a print screen. I'm currently thinking on getting my hands on a Nokia!
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

OOOPPPSSS!!!!

Did not see the link in a previous post......

Looks excellent!!!
Vic
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Ducky wrote:
I am using Leia DS as we speak and I must say, two thumbs up. What does it do...it lets you play songs....that's it, but wait, that's all I really want it to do......all other stuff is just icing on the cake
Agreed, I'd just like to thank Sommerfee for all the effort that he has put into this.

'Troll
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Just tried Leia DS but it only gets to the dialogue that says "searching devices" and just disappears. I was originally running Diablo which I'd installed yesterday, but dropped back to OS2008 just now only to get the same problem.
I notice Nokia have an earlier version of OS2008 for download so I may give that a go.
Real shame though, because this is just what I've been looking for, although I appreciate sommerfee is working on it for free and it's still at an early stage so no complaints!

Mick.

PS Tried the earlier version of OS2008 with no luck - maybe I'm missing a particular library? Any (polite!) suggestions gratefully received.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi Mick,

I'm sorry that Leia DS is not working with your setup.

I tested it with a Nokia N800 with a fresh install of the latest OS2008 (and nothing else), so there shouldn't be any libraries missing.
Wolfie wrote:Just tried Leia DS but it only gets to the dialogue that says "searching devices" and just disappears.
What do you mean by "just disappears"? Does the "searching devices" disappear or does the application disappear?

If the application disappears, please open a X Terminal on your Nokia and start Leia DS via typing "leiads" there. It type outs some debug messages on the X Terminal and the last line after disappearing should be the reason for the abnormal abortion of the application. (If you start the application with "leiads >MyDocs/leiads.log" you will have the log in the file leiads.log afterwards.)

BTW: What media server do you use? Please note that the version 0.1-10 is only tested with TwonkyMedia as server. (The upcoming version will support MediaTomb as well.)
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Hi - sorry about being so vague - what I meant was that the program just appears to shut down. I'm using TwonkyMedia 4.4.4i.
Here are the last few lines from the log when running it from X Terminal:-

found: friendlyName = "Mick's Music"
found: LOCATION = http://192.168.0.2:55178/Ds/
found: friendlyName = "Main Room:Sneaky Music DS"
leiads[1511]: GLIB ERROR ** default - file src/princess/upnp.c: line 220 (get_http_header_item): assertion failed: (valuelen < sizeof_value)
aborting...
Aborted

I've found that if I keep on trying it very occasionally runs up, then fails with an error when I try to select a track. I'll try it again and see if I can get this error to re-occur so I can let you know more information.

Regards

Mick.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi Mick,
Wolfie wrote:Here are the last few lines from the log when running it from X Terminal:-
That has helped me, thanks. I added some extra debug info right now, so could you please do the same with the version 0.1-11 I just uploaded?

Afterwards I (hopefully) should be able to fix the problem and offer a new version which should work with your configuration, too.

Regards,
Axel
Last edited by sommerfee on 2008-06-28 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Hi Axel - just PM'd you with the entire log - didn't want to upset our gracious host by filling up the forum with logs!

Mick.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Thanks to Axel I now have Leia DS running fine on my N800! It seems the problem was caused by having a second media server running, although I only have Twonky running deliberately. I assume perhaps that Vista must run up its own version, maybe as part of the Media Center software that comes as part of Vista.
When I run up either Leia DS or the Nokia Media Streamer they both list two servers; one is the Twonky one, the other just called by the name of my machine - I'll see if I can uninstall the Media Center portion of Windows as I never use that anyway.

Thanks again, Axel - you're a true gentleman!

Mick.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Wolfie wrote:you're a true gentleman!
Please don't tell my wife! :lol:

I will do some additional testing and release this new version 0.1-12 tomorrow. (Will drop a short note here.)

Regards,
Axel

P.S.: Thanks for all the positive feedback in this thread!

P.P.S.: I installed Diablo (the new OS version) on my N800 today and it seems Leia DS is working well on this variant of OS2008, too.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Bummer.....

While I was ordering my N800, the internet connection timed-out and the Paypal transation went thru but the order on the seller just dissappeared!!!!!

Now I'm dealing with Paypal trying to get my money refunded....
Vic
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

That's a real shame - did you find one for a good price? Here in the UK Play.com are selling it for half the list price - £149 instead of £300, although as I believe it's been discontinued there are probably many stores selling for a similar amount.

As for Leia DS, having been using it for the last day or so, I think it's very good indeed. It's already, at this early stage in its development, doing nearly all I require.
The only two things I'd like (and I'm not including album art - that would be nice but it wouldn't particularly be a great loss if it was never included) are the ability to see the currently playing track (to be implemented at some point anyway) and to be able to delete single items from the playlist rather than just the entire playlist.
A nice refinement would be that, as well as having the "now playing" screen, the currently playing track would be somehow highlighted in the playlist.
But that's it really, and as I say, the software does nearly all I'd want anyway, and appears stable in the short time I've been playing with it.
The only time the application crashed yesterday was when it couldn't find a DS on the network, due, I guess, to the fact that my wireless router is two floors away from my listening position and the signal does drop quite low on occasion.

I honestly think that, when Leia DS reaches version 1.0, Axel should consider charging for it, and I claim 10% of any profits for suggesting that!

:-)

Mick.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the feedback!
Wolfie wrote:The only two things I'd like (and I'm not including album art - that would be nice but it wouldn't particularly be a great loss if it was never included) are the ability to see the currently playing track (to be implemented at some point anyway) and to be able to delete single items from the playlist rather than just the entire playlist.
A nice refinement would be that, as well as having the "now playing" screen, the currently playing track would be somehow highlighted in the playlist.
All of this is already planned for the upcoming version 0.2, since these are the points I'm heavently missing, too. (Klimax and Akurate DS have a display, but the Sneaky not, so currently you don't know what track is playing, very annoying.)
The only time the application crashed yesterday was when it couldn't find a DS on the network, due, I guess, to the fact that my wireless router is two floors away from my listening position and the signal does drop quite low on occasion.
Upps, this shouldn't happen, if version 0.1-12 can't find a DS, it should issue an error message but not crash. Can you reproduce this error?

BTW: My WLAN router is about 15m away. I don't think that this should be a problem.
and I claim 10% of any profits for suggesting that!
:lol:
Last edited by sommerfee on 2008-07-06 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Although the version 0.1-12 is not tested as deep as version 0.1-10 was tested before release, I just moved 0.1-12 into the "stable" directory http://www.leiads.sommerfee.f-m.fm/stable/. If you have trouble with this version, please report (and downgrade to version 0.1-10).

What has changed:

- Should work with MediaTomb (mediatomb.cc) as server
- Error message if no media server and/or DS is found
- It doesn't crash if it detects a Windows Media Player as UPnP server (But I don't know if Windows Media Player will work as server!)