New firmware for DS: Bute

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Great news, was a bit underwhelmed about the 0.5.
Can I get a copy to my mailbox please?
It's all about musical understanding!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

0.6 is a LOT more musical than 0.5
And back to the nice sound of 0.4 :mrgreen:
YES :!:
Thanks paolo for the SW
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the 1.1-06 Bute SW for my Linn Akurate. The Linnconfig is telling me the update is available, but I dont have the SW.

Any hints are welcome....

Thanks!

Lennart
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

If you have the DS network connected to the Net, you can upgrade using the Linn config SW. If not (as me) you need the SW as a file. Contact your dealer.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Music Lover wrote:If you have the DS network connected to the Net, you can upgrade using the Linn config SW. If not (as me) you need the SW as a file. Contact your dealer.
Ah got it! I needed to upgrade to the latest linnconfig version in order to get the internet upgrade to work, but I am now on 1.1-06
Thanks!

Lennart
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

A thread on Linn forum state a new firmware, Linn Gui/Linn config is released.
Anyone tried it?
I hope some nice forum friend send me the stuff in a mail so I can upgrade my DS and report back regarding the sound :wink:
paolo

Post by paolo »

I've done the upgrade, then the downgrade, twice. Sadly the new version is less tuneful to my ears, it lacks rhythm and power.
If you do the upgrade please report guys!

Paolo
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Oh no...

I really wish we didn't have to test these things and keep updated with which version sounds best. Any new version should be better, period.

These machines are all about sound quality!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Haven't heard the new SW version, but I trust Paolo's ears. This sounds like a really bad omen for the (DS) future. Please Linn not again!

I look forward to your report ML, if you can get hold of the SW.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Linnofil wrote:if you can get hold of the SW.
I just read in the Swedish Linn forum that the new SW is now avaliable from Linn. Function over performance, how sad to see that from Linn.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

I do not know if this is already known, so I post it here:

When you update the software or firmware with LinnConfig, the new software or firmware will be stored in \Documents and Settings\<User name>\Local Settings\Temp during the update process (and will be automatically deleted afterwards). You could preserve this software resp. firmware version If you copy this file (TempXxxInstall.exe resp. TempLinn.zip) to a different place after the downloading, but during the update progress.

Axel
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Thanks, great info!
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Loaded yesterday the new sw 0.9 to my ADS and after a short tune dem: to my ears it sound VERY GOOD! Less bassy than 0.6 but more detailed and better focused presentation in the mid-high area. The tune and the pace is better and the sense of integration too. :D
Weird that the sw for KDS sound so bad... maybe Linn engineers should listen and tune dem after a new firmware release! :roll:
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

How do you go back to a previous version? I have 1.2-0.9 and I'd like to go back to 1.2-0.6 on my KDS. I've downloaded the zip file from Linn, but I'm not sure where to put it or the contained files so they are picked up by LinnConfig 1.3-0.5 which only shows the original and latest versions in the list. How does this work?
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Nicolav,

I agree with your impression on the ADS.javascript:emoticon(':lol:') I also notice an improvement in the high end. I have adjusted the Bass Keltik card up one switch - already have the extension to 20 Hz. Tune Dem in adjoining rooms is way up! I hesitate to move speakers at this point - the Keltiks are SO sensitive to placement - but wonder if they should be moved back a bit to the wall. Getting better all the time!
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I found the solution to my own question, if anyone's interested... unzip the files to a known location, right click on the DS in Config and select 'reflash', then look for the file KlimaxDsP2_rmp_rr.xml in the bin directory where the files were unpacked and off it goes.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

John, now when you downgraded, do you still think the previous Klimax firmware (06) is better?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

My daughter got sick and being home I finally had time testing little. :D

KDS with 06 firmware
System default config not as musical as with "scroll text on track changes..." ENABLED

KDS with 09 firmware.
System default config not as musical as with "scroll text on track changes..." ENABLED (less difference between these options compared with same test on 06 firmware but still easy to notice)
Comparing with 06 firmware, 09 is slightly less musical.

Likely Linn develop having the "scroll" feature enabled - so the preformance is tuned to be best using that option.

(same text posted in Linn official forum)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

I like to add that I still using the KDS in stand alone mode (standard config #1) - as that have been best running the other firmwares.

Time to re-test enabling the RS232 link to KK (=cable to Klimax control plus standard config #2) using the 09 firmware? Anyone...
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I've also had a bit of time to listen today and I agree with Paolo and Music Lover that 06 is more musical than 09. I noticed almost immediately when I 'upgraded', but I didn't have much time to listen and thought maybe I wasn't hearing right, but going back only confirms it for me, I'll stay with 06 for now.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

JohnS wrote:I've also had a bit of time to listen today and I agree with Paolo and Music Lover that 06 is more musical than 09.
Have you tried playing around with the new "Buffer padding" setting afterwards? When I updated my Sneaky DS from 1.1-0.4 to 1.1-0.7 I also noticed that it got worse. But after setting the "Buffer padding" from "none" to "small" it got better again. (Haven't tried the other settings yet.)

Axel
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

sommerfee wrote:
JohnS wrote:I've also had a bit of time to listen today and I agree with Paolo and Music Lover that 06 is more musical than 09.
Have you tried playing around with the new "Buffer padding" setting afterwards? When I updated my Sneaky DS from 1.1-0.4 to 1.1-0.7 I also noticed that it got worse. But after setting the "Buffer padding" from "none" to "small" it got better again. (Haven't tried the other settings yet.)

Axel
Where do you find the "Buffer padding" setting?
And what are the other settings?
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Music Lover wrote:Where do you find the "Buffer padding" setting?
And what are the other settings?
The "Buffer padding" can be found in LinnConfig v1.3-0.5 under the "Advanced Configure" tab. The other settings are "medium" and "large".
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Does anybody know if it's true that with a Bute DS, one can only add 50 tracks at one time?
(See: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... 6#pid24096)

Is that why my Plugplayer crasches when I try to add a lot of tracks? Is this a limit in Bute or a limit in the mobile/iPod apps? What happens in the Linn GUI or Leia DS? How do they handle the 50 track limit? Maybe Axel knows this?