FRIWO 12 v medical grade PSU for Netgear GS108 switch

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: FRIWO 12 v medical grade PSU for Netgear GS108 switch

Post by tokenbrit »

Now that we're settled in the house, and with the holiday season right around the corner, I have put the Friwo MPP15 12V MED on the Xmas list. They seem a little harder to acquire this year, with RS (UK) quoting late Feb for availability, and Allied Elec (US) no longer showing the 10 day lead time. They are still available direct from Friwo in Germany, but that means specifying the output connector when I order. To complicate matters slightly, not all sizes of straight coaxial connector are available directly from Friwo at the moment...
Does anyone know definitively what the right size connector is for the Netgear GS108, and is everyone using the straight adapter or has anyone tried the angled?
Lastly, how are you ensuring the correct polarity of the DC output at the connector to the switch?

TIA
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Hi all need to put some live into the FRIWO discussion as I made a strange experience.
Music Lover has asked this question before but it was not answered.
How to make sure the Friwo is on the right phase.

For most part of Europe you have two options/positions to put the Friwo into the power
outlet.
In my house phase is always at the left side and neutral on the right side of the outlet.
For me the FRIWO works/sounds the best when it gets the phase on the right side looking from top (so in my situation the output cable is facing upwards to make the FRIWO get the phase in the right way.
However that’s for me - interesting enough there is one more musical option ... for me by a good margin.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Defender wrote:In my house phase is always at the left side and neutral on the right side of the outlet.
For me the FRIWO works/sounds the best when it gets the phase on the right side looking from top (so in my situation the output cable is facing upwards to make the FRIWO get the phase in the right way.
However that’s for me - interesting enough there is one more musical option ... for me by a good margin.
Which one would that be?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

That’s the MMP 15 12V
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Defender wrote:That’s the MMP 15 12V
Do you mean the MPP15? I thought that was the recommended Friwo... I am not familiar with another power supply recommendation, and can't find anything on an MMP 15.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

You are right that was a typo it’s MPP 15
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Defender wrote:You are right that was a typo it’s MPP 15
That's a relief. Not that I'm right (welcome change) but because I have an MPP15 and was worried that there was another power supply out there that I should have tried instead... Phew :)
I haven't tried the phase test yet, but the MPP15 did feel like a worthwhile upgrade over the Netgear wall-wart for the GS108
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Maybe it’s no improvement for you as there is a 50% chance you are already on the right phase.
I thought it’s an illusion but when my father came by and asked me what music I am playing (he has hearing aids) and finally my younger daughter (7years) started to move her body to Waylon Jennings ... 1960s music I thought maybe it’s more than an illusion.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Defender wrote:In my house phase is always at the left side and neutral on the right side of the outlet.
In the US, with the ground towards the bottom, it's hot on the right, neutral on the left of the outlet. I have my MPP15 pointed cable down so we have the same electrical orientation.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Yes that is right but I would still try if the other way is more musical - it doesn’t have to be the same for every MPP15.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote:
In the US, with the ground towards the bottom, it's hot on the right, neutral on the left of the outlet. I have my MPP15 pointed cable down so we have the same electrical orientation.
“Supposed to be” would be a correct part of that statement. This is the US and I wouldn’t want to estimate the percentage of houses that are mis-wired.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I agree - now with diving deeper into the correct wiring of an IEC socket/plug it seems to be that also my house is wired „wrong“... even though audio industry seems to wire devices also inconsistant.

Seems the more correct setting would be phase/hot/L1 is the right side of the power outlet.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote:
tokenbrit wrote:In the US, with the ground towards the bottom, it's [supposed to be] hot on the right, neutral on the left of the outlet...
“Supposed to be” would be a correct part of that statement. This is the US and I wouldn’t want to estimate the percentage of houses that are mis-wired.
I see an outlet tester in my future :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:
tokenbrit wrote:In the US, with the ground towards the bottom, it's [supposed to be] hot on the right, neutral on the left of the outlet...
I see an outlet tester in my future :)
Not a bad idea. What can be really fun are the houses where somebody installed some three prong outlets but they aren't actually grounded! But, yes, if the outlet is wired properly it should be as you stated above.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Just discovered this.

I still have a GS105v4. Its PSU sometimes makes a weak very high pitch noise. No wonder that placement/damping is important...

It's funny that the PSU of this thread is more expensive (€61) than the GS108 itself (€45)!
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yes you are right but the GS108T and the Friwo at the right phase are the best improvement for the money.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I have some weird network problems, it is acting up a lot lately. For instance knocking very gently on the board that the switch stands on, or touching one of the cables lightly - suddenly the music stops etc, connection is lost between BubbleDS and the DSi. It seems that especially the DSi gets confused by this too and it sometimes takes 10 minutes to get it to start playing again. (That messes with whatever tune method comparison I was doing at the time, obviously.)

I thought the cables were broken, after moving stuff around lately when tuning, but I am now fairly sure instead that the GS105 is the trouble maker.

I don't want my hardware to be wearing out.. but I guess you can't beat entropy.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

not sure what it could be - maybe also some loose power conection to the router/switch.
However if its the GS105 making trouble be happy as you would get a nice upgrade if you buy a GS108T with a FRIWO power supply :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I agree with Defender, it sounds like a "brown out'". That is, power is temporarily broken. Could be inside the switch, inside its power supply, in the cable from the power supply or, perhaps most likely, in the plug and connector where the two meet.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

the high pitch noise you described in an earlier post noise usually happens when the SMPS runs without load
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I will assume that you mean milliseconds of lost power, because I never see the switch going dark. Most of the time the LEDs flash normally despite communication being in a bad state. Other times, the LEDs flash weirdly, for instance, one port with no cable also might flash.

(About the noise, I just checked to be sure - right now the system runs beautifully and the switch psu makes a weak high pitch noise.)
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

if you say that leds flash even though there is no cable attached the switch is resynchronising either because of lost of sync or lost of power
there was an issue with GS 108 earlier versions that blow caps in the switch maybe the same caps are also used in the 105
phino

Post by phino »

Paaf wrote:I have some weird network problems, it is acting up a lot lately. For instance knocking very gently on the board that the switch stands on, or touching one of the cables lightly - suddenly the music stops etc, connection is lost between BubbleDS and the DSi. It seems that especially the DSi gets confused by this too and it sometimes takes 10 minutes to get it to start playing again. (That messes with whatever tune method comparison I was doing at the time, obviously.)

I thought the cables were broken, after moving stuff around lately when tuning, but I am now fairly sure instead that the GS105 is the trouble maker.

I don't want my hardware to be wearing out.. but I guess you can't beat entropy.
My GS105 used to do that a lot too. Sometimes just moving it very slightly would upset it, sometimes it got upset all by itself. I think the RJ45 sockets are not that good on them, so a slight movement is enough to knock it out. A reboot of the switch always got it working again, no amount of jiggling the wires would bring it back, it had to be a reboot.
Since swapping to the Friwo MPP15 it's been a lot more stable. It hasn't dropped out of its own accord once since then, but movement of the patch leads can still upset it.
I suspect the power connector on the Friwo is a bit more secure than it was with the Netgear supplied PSU.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Defender,
Thanks, that's pretty interesting. It seems it's not enough with speakers and amps, we have to start recapping network gear now too. :)

phino,
Thanks for that input, it's good to know it's not just mine. Interesting that it got better with the Friwo, although weird that that only solved half of your problems.

Mine doesn't get upset by itself (but typically now it will start just for saying so...)
A few days ago I _thought_ that had happened, but it turned out that "someone" had been vacuuming. How reckless! :)
Last edited by Paaf on 2018-10-30 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hi Flat don't really trust links can I confirm it's order number 4728572
I know that tune