Computer Audio - Mac Software

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Computer Audio - Mac Software

Post by Efraim roots »

I'm going to use my new Macbook Air as an alternative flexible (I can take it with me) digital source and I want to make the most of it since it's going to be used quite a lot. I have now spent several hours trying different software; JRiver, Audirvana Plus, VLC and of course Itunes. I'm quite impressed about the performance with Macbook Air and a Meridian Explorer Asynchronus USB DAC, but the boring part was when I tried to optimize the software bit. I heard a lot of good stuff in the general HiFi community about JRiver so I started there, I wasn't convinced after a lot of trial and error with settings for optimizing sound, so I got Audirvana too, this software is more tuneful but still barely better than "quick playing" the wav file directly in Finder (which is clearly better than VLC and Itunes). Since this software cost a bit of money I'm not convinced yet but Audirvana is the best option so far, I also like the minimalistic layout. Does anyone have useful information about optimizing sound on a Macbook Air and about good software? (not about DACs and stuff, that is sorted)
the players of instruments shall be there..
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Computer Audio - Mac Software

Post by Spannko »

It's interesting what you say about a CD played in Finder sounds better than via iTunes.

We're the iTunes rips lossless ALAC or a lower bit rate lossy file?
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

It was wav files transfered from a USB stick to a new folder on desktop. Comparison was between the exact same file opened in ITunes or "Quick played" in Finder. Do you think I could have missed something about ITunes setting?
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

Efraim roots wrote:It was wav files transfered from a USB stick to a new folder on desktop. Comparison was between the exact same file opened in ITunes or "Quick played" in Finder. Do you think I could have missed something about ITunes setting?
Efraim roots,
You've missed quite a bit actually!!!!!!

First of all, source-first is king here. The recording part is FAR more important than playback.

At the very least, you must understand that CDs ripped to ALAC are better than WAV or FLAC, etc. I have compared CDs ripped to ALAC on a Windows/iTunes computer to those ripped on that same computer via JRivers' Apple Lossless. JRiver is the best! I haven't yet done so on an Apple computer. I have also found files ripped on an isolated outboard drive (regardless of computer or software) sound better. I have tried half a dozen CD drives and the best has been the LG GP50. You must get the best source first. Then...

...what is your playback format? I use ASIO. It makes very little difference whether I use JRiver or VLC to output to DAC. JRiver is far more convenient and easier to use for all my sources. Apple outputs to ASIO automatically. Record to ALAC first.

Buy an outboard drive and record from ALAC/JRiver. Then try again. My experience is ASIO is the best. I have several PCs, laptops, and "devices" in my home and all benefit from this.

Lastly, you claim your DAC needs are sorted. What is your DAC? Perhaps your needs are not sorted.

Ron The Mon
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the advice on ripping CD's, I will need that in the future. For now I'm talking about my 24/96 wav recordings from my LP12 that I transferred with a USB cable from my stand alone Tascam recording device with a SD-card. For clarification my tests of software has only been with headphones straight from the computer so far. I'm awaiting my ordered DAC.

Could you please explain a bit about playback format and ASIO? Sorry but I don't understand what that means.

About DAC, I will be using a Meridian Explorer USB DAC, alone sometimes, but I will also use the Merdian Explorer as a USB to SPDIF interface into Naim Dac. The Audioquest Cinnamon optical cable is really good, but I haven't auditioned USB cables yet.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I'm not sure why your files sound different when played via iTunes or Finder tbh. As far as I know, they both use QuickTime to convert the files, so they should sound the same.

Have you checked that the sound settings under the computers preferences tab are the same as the settings in iTunes?

If they are, you may have discovered an interesting sound tweek!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Ron The Mon wrote: At the very least, you must understand that CDs ripped to ALAC are better than WAV or FLAC, etc.
Interesting, how did you conduct the test?
What was the playback system?
It's all about musical understanding!