Optimizing Speakon

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Optimizing Speakon

Post by Efraim roots »

I wonder if you guys could help me optimizing speakon connections. I understand that Linn Klimax Solo amps have speakon connectors so there should be some knowledge about those here. I wonder which connector model is recommended and how you connect them to the cable for the most musical result? Should you take away the screw that usually holds the conductor and solder, or maybe screw them tight to the conductor and then solder? Anything else? I would also be interested to know which female connectors Linn use.

Any other tips about decent speakercables suitable for professional use on a mobile high power soundsystem is appreciated. I got all my cables stolen from the warehouse a few days ago and coping with it by making better ones..
the players of instruments shall be there..
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Optimizing Speakon

Post by Efraim roots »

Am I right assuming Linn recommends the Neutrik NL4FX?

Anyone found a reason why not using the 2 pole NL2FX instead (I'm only planing single wire)?

I'm thinking of using Linn K400 for professional (smaller PA) use, it's not that expensive and considered the best here, it seems to have good enough build quality for the task? Would you think it's a waste of money in this configuration, maybe it's just to revealing for this use, thoughts?

I may end up buying something very soon so your thoughts are valuable to me. If you would like to add something about build quality of K400, or about good speaker cables being a waste or even make things worse in a lesser system it's of interest for me.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, according to Linn they ship their amps with a set of Neutrik NL4FX.

For singlewire, I don't think it matters at all if you use NL4FX or NL2FX. Or if you use NL4FC. What's more important is good soldering. Ordered K200 myself from Fredrik with speakon in the amp end and bananas in the speaker end. Haven't checked how he soldered them, I would likely remove the screw myself.

Seems that nobody done any tests how different speakon connectors performs. It's only Fredrik who do such tests and since he prefer bananas I guess he hasn't bothered.

So, NL4FX will be just fine. Kjell in Sweden have good prices on them. But according to other forums (for musicians), several have the opinion that NL4FC are easier to attach.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Thanks for your input! I actually think I'll try K400 + soldered speakon, hopefully I can do some comparisons when I get them.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

stefan wrote:Seems that nobody done any tests how different speakon connectors performs. It's only Fredrik who do such tests and since he prefer bananas I guess he hasn't bothered.
Correct. With more time to spend on basic tests, I would compare the five different Speakon plugs that I've used for loudspeaker cables. And then there are probably a few more. I really have no idea which one performs best. But considering the surprisingly big difference between various bananas and RCA's, it's likely to be important.