Majik 109 Modification

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

SlyD77

Re: Majik 109 Modification

Post by SlyD77 »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-09-01 22:29
erlhage wrote: 2021-05-25 16:26 Hi,

I did this upgrade earlier this year, after having come across a second hand pair of Excel woofers.

I'm very satisfied. Easily put: It sounds like a much more expensive speaker. (Which it sort of is, I guess...)

I'm running them on an Exaktbox-I

Thanks to the original poster for the idea!

It is possible to create correct Exakt filters for them, if you're interested.
How you do that? In SO?
Sylvain DIDIER

Akurate System HUB / Exaktbox-i / Akudorik
The corporate video agency
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

SlyD77 wrote: 2021-09-05 10:42
sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-09-01 22:29
erlhage wrote: 2021-05-25 16:26 Hi,

I did this upgrade earlier this year, after having come across a second hand pair of Excel woofers.

I'm very satisfied. Easily put: It sounds like a much more expensive speaker. (Which it sort of is, I guess...)

I'm running them on an Exaktbox-I

Thanks to the original poster for the idea!

It is possible to create correct Exakt filters for them, if you're interested.
How you do that? In SO?
Send me an IM please
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
umenicke

Post by umenicke »

Hi there. Just want to report that I did this mod last week. I must say it is already a significant change in sound for the better in the whole register. Seems like the speaker finally got the right conditions to perform at its best. I listen to a lot of different genres and they all sound better. I’m definitely stamping my feets more now listening to hard rock/heavy metal. Rest of the system is Akurate Exaktbox I Katalyst, Majik DSM/3, Rega Planar 3 with exact cartridge and Neo PSU.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

umenicke wrote: 2022-01-18 19:20 Hi there. Just want to report that I did this mod last week. I must say it is already a significant change in sound for the better in the whole register. Seems like the speaker finally got the right conditions to perform at its best. I listen to a lot of different genres and they all sound better. I’m definitely stamping my feets more now listening to hard rock/heavy metal. Rest of the system is Akurate Exaktbox I Katalyst, Majik DSM/3, Rega Planar 3 with exact cartridge and Neo PSU.
Good move!

The mod 109s aktiv are quite impressive!

M.
cjls

Post by cjls »

Hello folks,
Has anyone here ever installed the SEAS Excel W15LY001 in a Majik Isobarik and operated it via Exakt?
If so, I would like to know if the filter needs to be changed.

Thanks for your help

Chris
Øyvind I

Post by Øyvind I »

Hi, i wonder about the same. Has one set MISO in Exakt with Akurate Exaktbok Kat + 2xA4200 and another set active bass and the rest via Cross over from Majik 6100. With the same source one would not believe it's the same speaker.

Perhaps this should be a separate thread?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

cjls wrote: 2022-04-29 17:08 Hello folks,
Has anyone here ever installed the SEAS Excel W15LY001 in a Majik Isobarik and operated it via Exakt?
If so, I would like to know if the filter needs to be changed.

Thanks for your help

Chris
Is that the bass unit philbo recommended as an upgrade?
cjls

Post by cjls »

The chassis for the midrange and higher bass is identical in the Majik 109 and the Majik Isobarik. That is also what my Linn dealer told me.
The update of the chassis seems to bring a clear improvement to the Majik 109. ( SEAS Excel W15LY001 is the upgrade recommendation here in this post, which probably comes from Philbo ). So I am curious if it will also improve the Miso. The chassis will arrive the next day.
The question I have is whether a change needs to be made to the exact filter.

I will report.

Chris
cjls

Post by cjls »

Hi guys,

I was lucky that the chassis arrived yesterday and that I had the time to install them in the Misos.
The procedure should be the same as for the Majik 109. It took about 1 hour to rebuild the speakers. I changed the gaskets from the old drivers to the Seas Excel W15LY001 also.

Of course I was so curious that I had to listen to the speakers right away without any running-in time.
The optical result is also respectable, as the metal cone in the middle of the chassis has a similar finish as the K2 arrays. (I will post photos later)
The result is so impressive that I have to assume that the old chassis were defective.
The overall impression is overwhelming. The W15LY001 integrate very harmoniously into the overall system. The speakers are much more lively, playful, defined and make a much more coherent impression. No matter if the sound level is high or low.
No matter whether jazz, pop or electronic music is playing.

I would recommend replacing the midrange drivers of the Miso with the Seas Excel W15LY001. A change to the Exakt filter doesn't seem to be necessary.

I'll listen to the whole thing for a while and report back.

Chris
cjls

Post by cjls »

Optical impression
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Looks rather cool!
Hultin

Post by Hultin »

cjls wrote: 2022-05-06 13:03 Hi guys,

I was lucky that the chassis arrived yesterday and that I had the time to install them in the Misos.
The procedure should be the same as for the Majik 109. It took about 1 hour to rebuild the speakers. I changed the gaskets from the old drivers to the Seas Excel W15LY001 also.

Of course I was so curious that I had to listen to the speakers right away without any running-in time.
The optical result is also respectable, as the metal cone in the middle of the chassis has a similar finish as the K2 arrays. (I will post photos later)
The result is so impressive that I have to assume that the old chassis were defective.
The overall impression is overwhelming. The W15LY001 integrate very harmoniously into the overall system. The speakers are much more lively, playful, defined and make a much more coherent impression. No matter if the sound level is high or low.
No matter whether jazz, pop or electronic music is playing.

I would recommend replacing the midrange drivers of the Miso with the Seas Excel W15LY001. A change to the Exakt filter doesn't seem to be necessary.

I'll listen to the whole thing for a while and report back.

Chris
Hello, I’m curioius what you’re thinking - one year later? I also have MIsos and drive them with Exaktbox-i, and wondering if this is my next upgrade….

Regards
Andreas
Hultin

Post by Hultin »

I've had a conversation with cjls and to make it short - I´ve also ordered a pair of Seas woofers to test my MIsos with, and they arrived this afternoon. :)

It's a bit late to warm up the soldering iron so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
Hultin

Post by Hultin »

And so it is done...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Looking good! Do write about your impressions soon.
Hultin

Post by Hultin »

The process of removing the elements was a little difficult - since I haven´t done it before and the info on the web wasn´t very detailed it took a bit of trial and error.

I used a small flathead screwdriver and used it to prong out the rubber seal around the elements. The grilles came out together with the seals.
From there on it was a matter of removing 5 screws and then setting up some sort of working area - to remove the old elements, and then installing the new one. It is a drop in replacement, for me the tricky part was soldering in the new ones. I have some sort of tremours in my hands so I can´t hold the soldering iron steady :(
But my 20 year old daughter helped me with it :)

How does it sound - well, first impressions was very favourable - more detail, a more open sound. I let it play on moderate volume for some hours before I listened more focused.
It has been described that the sound became a bit bright when you changed it in the 109s - and I would say that it does the same in the MIsos. According to SEAS the elements have a 1 db difference in sensitivity, with the new element being a bit lower. According to Troels Gravessen who did a comparison between the three versions, he measured a difference of 1,3 db.

So how does it affect performance? I would say that the sound is a bit more open, and a bit more listening into the room. But that could also be the effect of a lower output of the woofer.
After a few days however I did change the sub (I have a Majik 126) and increased it's output. I haven't really listened to it since then but early impressions are good. Will report back later on.,
Rudi64

Post by Rudi64 »

Hultin wrote: 2023-08-11 09:26 The process of removing the elements was a little difficult - since I haven´t done it before and the info on the web wasn´t very detailed it took a bit of trial and error.

I used a small flathead screwdriver and used it to prong out the rubber seal around the elements. The grilles came out together with the seals.
From there on it was a matter of removing 5 screws and then setting up some sort of working area - to remove the old elements, and then installing the new one. It is a drop in replacement, for me the tricky part was soldering in the new ones. I have some sort of tremours in my hands so I can´t hold the soldering iron steady :(
But my 20 year old daughter helped me with it :)

How does it sound - well, first impressions was very favourable - more detail, a more open sound. I let it play on moderate volume for some hours before I listened more focused.
It has been described that the sound became a bit bright when you changed it in the 109s - and I would say that it does the same in the MIsos. According to SEAS the elements have a 1 db difference in sensitivity, with the new element being a bit lower. According to Troels Gravessen who did a comparison between the three versions, he measured a difference of 1,3 db.

So how does it affect performance? I would say that the sound is a bit more open, and a bit more listening into the room. But that could also be the effect of a lower output of the woofer.
After a few days however I did change the sub (I have a Majik 126) and increased it's output. I haven't really listened to it since then but early impressions are good. Will report back later on.,
Hi, looking forward for you're impressions..thanks in advance
As a owner of M109 driven by a Exaktbox I, did you adjust the exakt filters also or is this not possible?
Or still using the filters for the original woofers?
Linn Akudoriks- Linn MDSM/2- Majik Exaktbox I - Blue Jeans cat6a
Lots of K400 speakercable
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Hultin wrote: 2023-08-11 09:26 How does it sound - well, first impressions was very favourable - more detail, a more open sound. I let it play on moderate volume for some hours before I listened more focused.

Just a quick reminder: "On this forum, we evaluate the quality of music reproduction with a comparative listening method called the Tune Method."

Please refrain from commenting on the hi-fi aspects and focus instead on musical performance.

Thank you.

Hultin

Post by Hultin »

After a few days - how does it sound? Is it easier to follow the tune? I would say yes.
I can more easily follow the tune in the song, and I noticed that I'm sitting on the sofa and humming along (I wouldn't call my noises for "singing") and my feet are tapping along as well.
I have listened more to music the last couple of days, and discovered new songs, and reacquainted myself with some old ones as well. I suppose that it means that it was a worthwhile upgrade.