Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Booplinth

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for finally posting :)

Enjoyed reading your story too.

I know one other member here who really enjoyed the switch to a Booplinth.

Booplinth is still the only 3rd partly LP12 component that my dealer has enjoyed. He is Linn / tunedem through and through so it must be doing something right.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’ve just noticed that I’ve never contributed to this topic. Suffice to say, I agree entirely with Thomas’ “review”, both in terms of its “musicality” (it can’t play bass) and its finish (a stained variable density material - really?).
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-02-03 00:44 Thanks for finally posting :)

Enjoyed reading your story too.

I know one other member here who really enjoyed the switch to a Booplinth.

Booplinth is still the only 3rd partly LP12 component that my dealer has enjoyed. He is Linn / tunedem through and through so it must be doing something right.
I never had an opportunity to compare (or hear) the Booplinth to a Linn or a Woodsong plinth. But this thread sure brings up different opinions, I guess not everyone hears in the same way :-)

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
csfan

Post by csfan »

Very enjoyable to read your comments!
Thank you, some of them already make me think "out of the plinth"!

Indeed I am happy with Booplinth but it is not my job to promote it.
Let's put it this way;
With Karousel, Linn improved Cirkus and so demonstrated that the LP12 could be better than "simply better".
Why not encourage Linn to do the same for the standard plinth and woobly Radikal feet?
Now, perhap I am the only one who suffered time-consuming LP12 positioning before it is consistently on a par with its price and reputation?
You tell me!?!

About the Booplinth finish, the LP12 is essentially a tool to play LPs for me but I will send a photo when I find out how for you to make up your mind.
About musicality, sorry, I don't understand how the "can't play bass" comment relates to Tune Dem.
csfan

Post by csfan »

Dear all,
This is my second attempt to share photos...
I hope you will be able to see here my Linn walnut plinth
And here the finish I chose for Booplinth
Enjoy your music!
csfan

Post by csfan »

My apologies, third attempt.

Here is my Linn walnut plinth
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jrdj19ola3zs ... m.jpg?dl=0

And here is the finish of my Booplinth
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0evif4hnc2cf ... m.jpg?dl=0
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

csfan wrote: 2021-02-04 20:00 My apologies, third attempt.

Here is my Linn walnut plinth
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jrdj19ola3zs ... m.jpg?dl=0

And here is the finish of my Booplinth
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0evif4hnc2cf ... m.jpg?dl=0
That dark stain on the bamboo is lovely. You are obviously a person of excellent taste! I would say that, it's the one I chose also...
Last edited by David Neel on 2021-02-05 00:04, edited 2 times in total.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Spannko wrote: 2021-02-03 01:03 I’ve just noticed that I’ve never contributed to this topic. Suffice to say, I agree entirely with Thomas’ “review”, both in terms of its “musicality” (it can’t play bass) and its finish (a stained variable density material - really?).
Hi Spannko,

Second, the finish is fine. Unless you're into bling...

First, I don't understand your comments on musicality. The lower noise floor and resultant clarity eliminates bass "bloom" - otherwise known as one-note bass. What you do hear is real.

Third: bring your vinyl as soon as covid is under control, and we'll continue the discussion over an aged Australian bottle of cabernet sauvignon...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

David Neel wrote: 2021-02-04 23:35
Spannko wrote: 2021-02-03 01:03 I’ve just noticed that I’ve never contributed to this topic. Suffice to say, I agree entirely with Thomas’ “review”, both in terms of its “musicality” (it can’t play bass) and its finish (a stained variable density material - really?).
Hi Spannko,

First, I don't understand your comments on musicality. The lower noise floor and resultant clarity eliminates bass "bloom" - otherwise known as one-note bass. What you do hear is real.

Third: bring your vinyl as soon as covid is under control, and we'll continue the discussion over an aged Australian bottle of cabernet sauvignon...
Point of order! When I visited only tea was on offer.
However, in your defence it was good tea and there was cake too :D
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

David Neel wrote: 2021-02-04 23:35
Hi Spannko,

Ha ha! Thank you. I haven’t forgotten!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-02-05 00:45
Point of order! When I visited only tea was on offer.
Next time, arrive a little later in the day... :)
csfan

Post by csfan »

Delighted to see that David, Spannko and Sunbeamgls will soon have a jab session together!

Today I used my Oppo 105D (switched on Pure Stereo Audio) as a reference to evaluate how LPs on LP12/Booplinth/Karousel behave with bass instruments compared to CDs and SACDs.
Through a pair of analog AKTIV KLIMAX 350 set at 19Hz/0db, very well indeed!

Among the six recordings I used, Love Scenes and La Tarentella are digital recordings.
For Tune Dem, the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th (here in a mono version) is great.
Photos?
Diana Krall - Lejonklou forum.jpg
Carl Schuricht - Lejonklou forum.jpg
Have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
csfan

Post by csfan »

Hi,
Klimax Radikal 2 has now replaced Klimax Radikal 1 in my main (Booplinth'ed, Trampolin'ed, Keel'ed and Karousel'ed) LP12-Urika with breathtaking results.
I was a bit sceptical but found that it is not just a "£2k bug fix".
It is a major musical upgrade which is worth listening to.
IMHO, well done Linn!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

csfan wrote: 2022-01-17 18:51 Hi,
Klimax Radikal 2 has now replaced Klimax Radikal 1 in my main (Booplinth'ed, Trampolin'ed, Keel'ed and Karousel'ed) LP12-Urika with breathtaking results.
I was a bit sceptical but found that it is not just a "£2k bug fix".
It is a major musical upgrade which is worth listening to.
IMHO, well done Linn!
Now what you need is an Entity... :)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

csfan wrote: 2022-01-17 18:51 Klimax Radikal 2 has now replaced Klimax Radikal 1 in my main (Booplinth'ed, Trampolin'ed, Keel'ed and Karousel'ed) LP12-Urika with breathtaking results. I was a bit sceptical but found that it is not just a "£2k bug fix". It is a major musical upgrade which is worth listening to.

IMHO, well done Linn!
That's my thought as well, the Klimax Radikal 2 upgrade is a serious improvement (not a superficial sound difference). And just when I think the LP12 probably couldn't sound much better...it does!

Enjoy!
Tony Tune-age
csfan

Post by csfan »

Indeed Tony!

Thx for your advice, David.
In my configuration I can't tell to what extent the new Radikal 2 board also improves Urika.
Is there any plan for an Entity version powered by a Linn Radikal box (connected like Urika)?
Save the planet, you know...
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

csfan wrote: 2022-01-19 11:09 In my configuration I can't tell to what extent the new Radikal 2 board also improves Urika.
I figured it would improve the Urika phono stage for sure. Because in my system, the new Radikal power supply upgrade has improved the sonic performance of all the components down stream.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

csfan wrote: 2022-01-19 11:09 Is there any plan for an Entity version powered by a Linn Radikal box (connected like Urika)?
I did try this a few years ago and learned two things:

1. The Entity powered by Radikal was nowhere near as good as when powered by its own power supply.

2. The Radikal sounds better when it isn't powering a Urika. This, being higher in the Hierarchy, is a more fundamental difference than between phono stages.
csfan

Post by csfan »

Thank you Frederik for your feedback.
Food for thought.
And I need to find how to get access to your product(s).
At the moment I am located in the Paris area.
Cheers.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

csfan wrote: 2022-01-19 20:34 And I need to find how to get access to your product(s).
At the moment I am located in the Paris area.
What about https://www.headonist.fr
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
csfan

Post by csfan »

Thx Matthias, I will investigate further (their location is not on their website).
They focus on headphones, it's been quite a long time since I have used Stax all sorts.
Nostalgia?
Perhaps...
Perhaps not.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

csfan wrote: 2022-01-19 21:01 Thx Matthias, I will investigate further (their location is not on their website).
They focus on headphones, it's been quite a long time since I have used Stax all sorts.
Head office: 29 Rue des Favorites, 75015 Paris - France
Contact information: contact@headonist.fr - 06 70 16 25 33

I think you can get all Lejonklou devices (if you want to)
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
csfan

Post by csfan »

Super, thanks Mattias.
They are conveniently located for me, now added to my to-do list.
Have a nice day.