In my view there is a very interesting new sub chassis for the LP12:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=30204

KR Matt
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New LP12 sub chassis

Post by matthias »

matthias wrote:In my view there is a very interesting new sub chassis for the LP12:
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=30204
KR Matt
Some pictures (clic on the pic)

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... ostcount=2

KR Matt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Have you heard it, Matthias?

Whether it performs more musical than other subchassis is all that matters to me.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:Have you heard it, Matthias?
Whether it performs more musical than other subchassis is all that matters to me.
Unfortunately not yet, but it is designed by a guy whom I trust, Roger at Tiger Paw.
BTW, Chris from Hiddensystems has one and he reported he had an inspiring lunch with both you and Roger, so you should know him:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... #pid362632

KR Matt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes we had! Roger is a great guy!

I have not yet heard this subchassis, however. And although it looks nice, I am sceptical of ALL alternative LP12 parts until their performance has been proven in practice. It is simply impossible to tell from an idea or from looks or from reputation whether something will work. All that matters is whether the result is more musical.

Expect me to reiterate this in the near future, because some of my favourite companies have started relying on graphs and technical nonsense instead of demonstrating what the effect is on our musical experience.

All that matters is whether the result is more musical.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:Yes we had! Roger is a great guy!
I have not yet heard this subchassis, however. And although it looks nice, I am sceptical of ALL alternative LP12 parts until their performance has been proven in practice. It is simply impossible to tell from an idea or from looks or from reputation whether something will work. All that matters is whether the result is more musical.
Expect me to reiterate this in the near future, because some of my favourite companies have started relying on graphs and technical nonsense instead of demonstrating what the effect is on our musical experience.
All that matters is whether the result is more musical.
Fredrik, this is exactly my view as well.
AFAIK, Roger uses a Linn Klimax system with 242s for development of his products. He told on the Linn Forum:

"I have pretty much every conceivable combination of LP12 components here, aside from Valhalla which I don't use any more so the power supplies are either Lingo 2 or Radikals. Arms range from Akito, Ittok, Ekos, Ekos SE and of course Aro. Top plates, both standard and of course Khan.
In terms of development, most of the original work was done on the Radikal SE deck with the Keel. It was pretty clear once we started to get things going in the right direction that it performs consistently across all specs, of the two that I released for external evaluation, one had a Khan, the other a standard top plate - both have kept them:-)"

The Akula has been designed to produce similarly excellent performance like the Keel. But the proof is in the listening.

KR Matt