Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

New network cable - flat or round.

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hi everyone.
I need a 10m network cable for my ds to my router. Has anyone used the flat type? I ask because there's so many out there and I don't want to buy a turd. Flat is easier for my installation as I'm in the process of sorting out my new lounge but can squeeze in a round one behind the carpet gripper if they're much better. Microconnect U/UTP CAT6 10M Red PVC Unshielded Network Cable 4x2 on ebay is 22 quid. That's the one I'm looking at. I need to order it tonight.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New network cable - flat or round.

Post by donuk »

Hi Ozzie,
For that distance I would used something shielded.
Cheers. Don
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Was going to get a microconnect one but they don't make shielded. There's duronic but they're shipping from USA.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Shielded is not necessarily better. So far all experience points towards the opposite.

I'd go with the Microconnect.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Thanks guys. There were a few different serial numbers, so just went with a twenty quid microconnect.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Just a quick update.
I now have my system set up and working. It's a rectangular room 3.4 wide and 5 m long with the speakers at the bottom end across the shorter wall. There was a double door through to the dining room with solid block and cement render walls. I blocked it up, rendered and skimmed it so it was the same construction as the existing wall.
The cable was installed source end at the nas drive back to the ds.
I only have a bit of finishing to do with the wall behind the speakers getting a stunning wallpaper finish,i really can't wait to see that! Plus a new rack and speaker stands require purchase, no money for harmonhylian unfortunately, but never say never.
I also had a dedicated hifi mains put in one double socket straight back to the consumer unit.
How does it sound?
Without any messing around and just plonking the system down where I thought, and not even cranking up linn's SPACE software, it's STUNNING.
I simply cannot believe that this is the same equipment I was listening to less than a month ago.
More performance to come obviously, but this has blown Jane and I away. The bass is rock solid with a fantastic weight and solidity. Vocals sound so real. It just sounds so clean and eager, fast almost.
Wow.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Amazing Ozzzy!

This is the kind of upgrades I like the most. Relly upgrades for relatively small outlay. I guess for you the dedicated mains was the key or was it the cable?

I had a similar experience this weekend. I upgraded Jriver musicplayer from 19 to 20 and for only 21 dollars you get an improvemt, not huge but its there.

Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I think it's three things Magnus.
Firstly the mains, a pure supply, or as pure as possible is a must. Especially without buying ridiculously priced extras that can degrade the musicality.
Secondly I'm sure that the new 'microconnect' cat6 has something to do with it, but tricky to check now as I don't have an alternative.
And finally, and probably the most important. THE ROOM!
Before I had the speakers across a rectangular room with two doors in, an understairs cupboard with a sloping ceiling, two windows and one speaker in front of a solid wall and one in front of a window! It was challenging but we made a decent fist of it.
However, this is in a totally different league. One window behind the listener with a lovely pair of curtains behind, two nice soft sofas and the solid walls. It's not too live sounding even now.
So I think the room, then mains then the cables.
I'll post pictures once we're finished in the other thread.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

I agree sorting the room is very important. Not even the best Space room correction can cure all acoustic faults I guess!
(Have´t tried it so cannot be certain)

For some years ago I bought a s.h speaker. The guy who sold it had a special cinema/music room. It was perhaps too treated (think of public cinema) for a normal livingroom but with a simple Denon reciever and CD player it sounded surprisingly good.

Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Ozzy, what is the product ID for the cable? I'll get one and compare it against the current micro connect favourite.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I think the serial no is B-utp 610 microconnect u/utp cat6 unshielded network cable pvc 4x2
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

That one might be better, might be worse. Some say there's no difference! Hard to say without the old one!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Would be interested to hear or read how it compares with the MicroConnect SSTP CAT6 LSZH (white) of same length...
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote:Shielded is not necessarily better. So far all experience points towards the opposite.

Interesting! Have you found an unshielded cable which you prefer to the Microconnect sstp ?

Whilst thinking about ethernet cables (as one does!), I wondered if a very much longer than usual cable between the switch and DS might be advantageous? I'm thinking of something in the region of 50m. The rationale for this is if the switch produces any noise, the resistance of the cable will attenuate the noise more than a shorter cable. A possible downside would be that the longer the cable, the greater the potential for the cable to pick up extraneous noise. One factor would need to be balanced against the other, resulting in an optimum length. The optimum length would also be affected by the cable construction.

Also, am I right in thinking that a shield protects the cores by draining the noise away? If so, where does all the noise go? Into the DS? (lol!). I've disconnected the metal shield on the plug which goes into my DS and earthed my switch to try and prevent this. However, it's just occurred to me that I've now polluted my earth with more noise which will have a detrimental affect on the system! Is this why shielded cables often sound worse than unshielded? Is a simple twisted pair potentially better because it reduces noise pickup without dumping it back somewhere else in the system?

On a more practical point. I'm thinking of running a 50m cable to my shed anyway, so I could experiment. All I need to do is choose a cable type. Any ideas?
kg648

Post by kg648 »

I have one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/30m-Flat-Networ ... work+cable

It works perfectly, in fact I have it under the carpet around the edge and through the hall way under the middle of the carpet with some TLC, you can't tell it's there, it will get walked on daily and use that cable between living room and spare room between switches which the server with Kazoo Server is on and NAS in the living room.

No problems after 6 years!

Thanks.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spannko wrote:
lejonklou wrote:Shielded is not necessarily better. So far all experience points towards the opposite.

Interesting! Have you found an unshielded cable which you prefer to the Microconnect sstp ?
No, I haven't. Apologies, I have been mistaken. Please dismiss what I wrote above!

The old recommended Microconnect SSTP CAT6 LSZH appears to still be the best.