Katan subwoofer pairing

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Geoff

Katan subwoofer pairing

Post by Geoff »

I posted this on the mothership, most folks here are there, but I thought there might be more geeky input here.

Anybody else using a sub with their Katans (or anything else) in Aktiv mode? I think I've decided to buy a a BK Electric XLS200 MK2. It came down to this unit, or the REL low end (T series) units, but it wins on it's size/volume/specs and on various comments I've read ... unless anyone here has serious reservations against it. Now my only question is whether I should buy a downward firing, or front firing unit for my ceramic tiled, 4ish by 8ish meter, apartment living room.

The XLS200 (and REL) allows two different connections from both the amp and preamp. I think I would connect the single RCA SW output on my Oppo 7.1 outputs to the low level input on the MK200. However, my big question is how to connect the stereo inputs to my amp to the high level input? I have my 5125 in Aktiv setup, and use an OPPO 105D as my preamp/source. BK provides a cable terminated on one end with a neutrik cable for it's high level input from the amplifier, as shown http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/ ... MANUAL.pdf here. I'm confused how to connect this to the 5125. I'm pretty certain I will connect it to the bass channels, but due to the multi channels of amplification I'm a bit lost. I'm guessing per their colouring scheme a red on the red left low channel, and yellow on the red right lower channel, but which/where to connect the black wire as shown in their user manual pdf linked above? As an aside to connecting the sound bearing leads, Taiwan generally isn't too fussy about minor details like grounding (STUPID muth*®¿#©€®s !!), so nothing is grounded anywhere between me and the world's largest single point source of CO2 coal fired electric plant.

I think it should is pretty easy, but I'd love all the advice you can give. I love the Katans, and I've been torn between doing a sub (can't afford a Sizmik), or buying Ninkas. As I have over 1000 ballistic missiles pointed at me, I've decided portability when I bug out is a key concern, so the Katans are permanent.
AEDSM,Akurate Exaktbox-i Kat,Akudoriks,K600
Netgear108T,QNAP TS451+,BJC CAT6a
Majik 126,Exakt subbox
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Katan subwoofer pairing

Post by ThomasOK »

You should hook up the red and yellow to the bass channels (it doesn't matter which color goes to which channel) in your 5125 and connect the black to either channel ground of the 5125 bass section.

If legal where you are I would recommend getting a ground post, sinking it in the earth and grounding your system to it.

It will be interesting to read how you like the BK unit. I am not happy with the newer REL subs, although I haven't heard all of them. I once had a B1 I really liked but sold it thinking I would buy a Gibraltar model. Then I heard the G1 and found it was distinctly inferior to the B1 despite being much more expensive. I have regretted selling it but just finally bought a used unit claimed to be like new - it should arrive this week.

Ever since REL was sold by Richard Lord to a U.S. company - who took over the design work and moved all manufacturing to China - the musical quality has gone downhill.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

And you've never heard a BK unit? Any scuttlebutt on them? Many on AVS vociferously laud them, saying they are OEM's for other brands etc. Your take on REL is interesting.

I'm sorry, but looking at my 5125, there is no ground, do you mean ANY black (negative) post...and should I connect only to either bass channel's black post?

As for sinking a ground, I'm on the 14th floor. I tried to have the media area outlets grounded when we were having the apartment built, but it was lost in translation, and they simply don't do it here. 110v isn't as scary as your 240v.
Majik 126,Exakt subbox
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The 14th floor would make that a bit difficult! I'm actually in a 120 volt country although my system runs on 240V.

Yes, I do mean either of the black connectors on the 5125 bass section.

We do not have access to BK in the US so I haven't heard them. A forum acquaintance in the UK with a LP12, Naim, Isobarik system swears by his Monolith and I have seen other good reports.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for the feedback on them, I'm flying blind.
Majik 126,Exakt subbox