Phono hum from Majik-IP

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Robert Lake

Phono hum from Majik-IP

Post by Robert Lake »

I purchased a used Majik-IP (the old Majik-I) with a Kodus sneaky tuner. It works fine as an amp, but the tuner is only searching for stations without ever finding any station. This is irritating but I can live with it since my Pekin tuner and Movie 2005 tuner works fine.

My main problem is that the phono input gives a lot of hum as soon as I plug-in the turntable, even so if the turn tabe is not plugged in to the mains. The turntable is a Philips Electronics from the 70s. It works fine with a old Pioneer A302R amplifier (with a very good phono pre-amplifier). I have earthed the amp to the radiator in the room - it is my own house so I feel safe.

The service manual suggests that the problem comes from
Resistor R62 on main board
(between Ground & Earth in
the circuit) requires to be
reduced in value – from
1Kohms to 10ohms.
R62 can be found near the
big power supply capacitors.
Change R62 on main board to
10ohms. Linn part no of 10ohm
resistor: RES 206
However, this solution is only for
Applies only to
Majiks between
ser/nos: 3897 &
However, my Majik-IP S/N is earlier than 3897 and I cannot find R32 on the main board. Could the problem be the same? Or, is the Majik's phono faulty, or my turntable? I have no other turntable to compare with at the moment since I am spending the holiday's in my second home in the country. Has anyone experienced this problem?

The set-up for this second home of mine is Movie 2005, Sneaky DS+QNAP TS112, Oppo 103, System Fidelity 5.1 speakers, LG6000 42" Plasma, four Roomamps and RCU:s with vall-mounted Unik speakers across the house. The Majik-IP is supposed to be in my study/guest room together with the Pekin Tuner and a turntable.
rootola

Post by rootola »

The tuner searching stations without ever finding a station may possibly be because the muting threshold is set too high. Check the Kudos tuner manual on how to reduce the threshold. Zero setting should accept all stations.
KDSM Organik Slim - Solo - Ninka
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

rootola wrote:The tuner searching stations without ever finding a station may possibly be because the muting threshold is set too high. Check the Kudos tuner manual on how to reduce the threshold. Zero setting should accept all stations.
Thank's for the tip. I had completely forgotten about the muting threshold level. Unfortunately it was not the solution.