Optimum, good or acceptable USB cable

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Optimum, good or acceptable USB cable

Post by k_numigl »

Using a LS-NAS, there is occasionally the need to copy some files via USB to another storage device, despite the fact that the copy process does not seem to be lossless. Checking for USB cables it is quickly evident that there is a variety of special audio USB cables, ranging in price from a couple of 10 Euros to astronomical heights. As I checked a number of Firewire cables, it is clear to me that these digital cables have an effect on the music. Has anyone tried USB cables and can recommend a special one? Is it worth to spend decent money on this?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Optimum, good or acceptable USB cable

Post by tokenbrit »

k_numigl wrote:Using a LS-NAS, there is occasionally the need to copy some files via USB to another storage device, despite the fact that the copy process does not seem to be lossless. Checking for USB cables it is quickly evident that there is a variety of special audio USB cables, ranging in price from a couple of 10 Euros to astronomical heights. As I checked a number of Firewire cables, it is clear to me that these digital cables have an effect on the music. Has anyone tried USB cables and can recommend a special one? Is it worth to spend decent money on this?
I don't know from experience but, given the findings with LAN cables, I would suggest getting a MicroConnect USB cable to test, at least.
There may be no correlation between musicality of their LAN cables and their USB cables but, in the possible absence of recommendations based on tune-dem, it's somewhere to start.
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

In the meantime I used a number of different USB cables and the situation is as expected: They do make a difference. The cables are used to copy files from a Windows7 PC (LS-NAS) to a (hi res) portable music player, not for streaming. So, again, in digital theory there should be no differences. The most expensive cable was an Audioquest Cinnamon which produced a detailed, defined and quiet sound that was unfortunately lifeless. Synonymous to: Not much fun to follow the tune. Two Deltaco cables (different lengths) sounded very similar and musically more engaging though less well defined and poorer in sound colour reproduction - musically nice if you just have a steady beat. The best (and 'cheapest', as it came with the player) so far is an iriver cable, not looking very special but sounding very detailed and quiet yet with drive and life, simply very musical. It is great to play e.g. Coltrane's Africa Brass which is easily corrupted by inferiour equipment. If this cable is for sale somewhere, I recommend to buy it and please drop a note here, I'd be happy to get a spare, too.