Streaming software - different flavours

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Streaming software - different flavours

Post by donuk »

This has been mentioned on the Linn forum recently. I wonder what Mr L's learned folk have found:-

I have recently tried Twonky, Asset and Minimserver on my Qnap TS112 with my Akurate DS. I cannot find any difference in sound with these different programs - not that I would necessarily expect to. But I would be interested to hear if some folk had a favourite, sonically.

I am unable to hear any difference when I configure Asset to present the ADS with WAV files instead of FLAC. Which may all say more about me than the items involved.

Don, dark downtown York.
lunch

Post by lunch »

Sounds about right to me - both your findings.
LP12 - Karousel - ARadikal - Keel - Ekos SE - Kandid - Entity
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
stefan

Post by stefan »

It was Anders at Tonläget (designer of Harmoni and Klångedang) who said that Asset was better than Twonky on QNAP. Been curious about Asset myself since it was released but never got to try it but after this I did. Found the same thing as him really. He use an Intel-based and I use an ARM-based. Note, Twonky must be disabled when running Asset otherwise Asset performs pretty much on the same level as Twonky alone. This was with Twonky 6, since then I installed a QNAP upgrade and Twonky went to 7. Haven't heard that version yet.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Thanks Stephan
I'll try disabling Twonky and let you know.
Don cold downtown York
lunch

Post by lunch »

Looking forward to hear about your findings.

I've been running minim server on a Qnap ts 251 with and without Twonky enabled. There is no difference to Minimserver, though. Sounds like there's a problem with Asset when running other servers simultaneously to me. Having said that, I never really liked Twonky. Wouldn't be surprised if it was "broken" somehow.
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Well, I tried disabling Twonky - and some other stuff on my Qnap.
Played the streamer - could not notice any difference.
While the music was still playing I opened up the Qnap configuration and switched Twonky on and off several times.
I could not notice any difference to the music as it played (Jane Monheit!).
Then I switched Twonky off finally and rebooted the Qnap.
It took about five minutes to come back on.
It sounded better. I will not say how much better. No chance for 10 seconds burst in AAB comparison and humming along with the tune - it was about the same difference between a good day for mains supply noise as against a bad day.
But I fancy a difference could be heard, and I am keeping this configuration.
I am quite prepared to accept that this difference was psychological or caused by something else.
But the "Kinsky off and then a reboot" idea is worth trying.
Kinsky itself may not be the offending item - it seems sort of logical that any computer will function more easily with the maximum of free ram and the less strain on its processor. Whether it should make an audible difference to streamer software, I will leave open. After all should the last two metres of mains cable connecting a power station to a SMPS amplifier make any difference to the sound?

It makes sense anyway to switch as many other applications off as possible if only to extend the life of the hard disk (for example, with Kinsky off, it will not periodically rescan).

Don, windy downtown York
lunch

Post by lunch »

Just switch off Twonky and reboot the nas? I'll give it a shot. Easy enough to try. I'll be very surprised if it actually makes a difference, but what the heck...
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

By the sound of your voice, so will I, Lunch....... :-)
stefan

Post by stefan »

Good! I did try Kazoo server for an hour or so and tried to compare with Asset in the same way. Felt I prefered Asset but I will return to Kazoo once we have a stable ARM-release.

Also, check if Webserver is running and if so, turn it off in the same way. Was a few years ago but it did make a difference. Other services have been found to have less or none impact, I have NFS running and can't hear any difference really. Might also be that some services turned on actually improves performance, need someone with Linnofils dedication to go through this :-)