Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

News for Nokia N800/810 owners:
Finally a beta version of Canola2 with UPnP support is out:
http://www.marceloeduardo.com/blog/

I haven't tried it myself so far, because I'm not interested anymore :mrgreen:
audiokaas

Post by audiokaas »

Sooo, pray tell, what solution have you find that betters the Nokia...
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Since the Sneaky/Akurate/Klimax DS has not implemented any of the two possibilities to "mind the gap" the official & documented way, no application has a chance to play songs without gap on the DS, at least as long as it uses (only) the documented UPnP features.

The proprietary playlist feature offered by Linn is not of interest for generic UPnP application developers, and by the way, AFAIK the proprietary Linn functions are only partly and poorly documented.

So I'm simply not interested in Canola anymore since even if it should work with the DS now, it will play the music with annoying gaps, too.

Regarding the :mrgreen: : There will be an application for the DS running on the Nokia very soon, just remain patient.
Last edited by sommerfee on 2008-05-21 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

sommerfee wrote:News for Nokia N800/810 owners:
Finally a beta version of Canola2 with UPnP support is out:
http://www.marceloeduardo.com/blog/
As far as I can see so far, this doesn't yet control upnp media renderers (ie a DS) other than the Nokia device itself. I've installed Canola2 Beta9 and the Upnp add-on and can see Twonky on my NAS. I think you have to change some settings in order to get it to recognise FLAC files, but haven't bothered.

'Troll.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Anybody who is willing to try out some very experimental & very-far-from-finished software (no album covers, no "playing now" page, only one server and one DS is supported, and many other limitations) for the Nokia ITs with OS2008 could drop me a short personal message including your e-mail address so I could send you the application as attachment.

Choosing between this software and the Nokia Media Streamer is some kind of choosing between pest and cholera at the moment, but at least you can play albums without annoying gap (or even stops) between the tracks, and save and load (small) playlists, so I decided to make it available for a very small amount of testers.

Be aware: Currently it's only tested against Twonky Media, so maybe it does not work with other UPnP-MediaServers at all.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Fantastic news!
Well done.
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Good work, Axel!

Don't have a Nokia, so unfortunately I can't volunteer.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

lejonklou wrote:Don't have a Nokia, so unfortunately I can't volunteer.
I hate to remind you Fredrik, but you don't have a DS player either... :wink:
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

ROTFL!
I'm still waiting for Majik DS.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Azazello wrote:I hate to remind you Fredrik, but you don't have a DS player either... :wink:
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Time and money is flowing elsewhere at the moment. But in the not too distant future, I intend to join the DS club.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Azazello wrote: I hate to remind you Fredrik, but you don't have a DS player either... :wink:
Oh man!!!

You're mean!!!!

BTW, Linn just told me that they ran out of DSs until next year.

Just a joke Fred....

:mrgreen:
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:
Azazello wrote:I hate to remind you Fredrik, but you don't have a DS player either... :wink:
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Time and money is flowing elsewhere at the moment. But in the not too distant future, I intend to join the DS club.
Don't feel too bad, Fredrik. I don't own one either. To be honest I am unlikely to until it works better with Macs and iTunes since I am a Mac enthusiast equally as much as I am a Linn enthusiast. I tend to think of both companies as very similar: dedicated engineering companies that make the best products of their type, stress quality over price, have relatively small market shares and are run by megalomaniacs. :) What's not to like!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The DS software thread was split in two: UPnP and Firmware
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

I installed Canola2 with the upnp plugin and I like the look&feel. It seems a very nice GUI but as mentioned I don't think I can select another player than the nokia 810 itself (unlike the mediastreamer application). Am I just not looking in the right place, or is this functionality not included in canola?

I would also very much like to get rid of the gaps. One of my favourite albums is Live at Massey Hall by Neil Young and the gaps just ruin the flow of the performance.

As soon as some (relatively stable) form of software becomes available to do this I will surely give it a go.

Lennart
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Ducky wrote:Am I just not looking in the right place, or is this functionality not included in canola?
It's not (yet) available in Canola2.