High Gain on akurate kontrol

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

audiokaas

High Gain on akurate kontrol

Post by audiokaas »

Hi,
The subject days it all.
Anybody know how to switch to high gain on the MC stage of the akurate kontrol.
Of course I could schlep it to the dealer but I find that too much of a hassle. It takes forever...

Lex
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Linn has not given us any information on this. Based on an inspection of the board it appears that you remove two very small surface mount resistors at R5 and R6 on the bottom of the board. I take no responsibility for any blown up boards caused by using the information above. :cry:

I should also point out that there should be no need to change this gain with any Linn MC cartridge or others with outputs of about .5mv or below.

YMMV
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: High Gain on akurate kontrol

Post by lejonklou »

audiokaas wrote:Anybody know how to switch to high gain
Thomas is probably right about those two resistors. Haven't tried it yet and likely won't need to either.

I just want to point out that the default setting is high gain (64 dB amplification). You can change it to lower gain (54 dB), in case you use an MC with higher output.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Thanks for the clarification, Fredrik. I didn't look closely enough at the question when I posted the answer. As stated the phono board on the Akurate Kontrol (and the Majik Kontrol) comes with the MC input set for high gain, 64dB, and adjustment would only be needed to LOWER the gain to 54dB.

If you are looking to change to MC from MM then all you need to do is to unplug the phono card from the MM socket and plug it into the MC socket. If it is not obvious to you how to do that from looking at the card it is best if you have the dealer do it.

If the problem is that the music played on your turntable is quieter than that from a CD player or other source, you can go into the SETUP mode on the Akurate Kontrol and set the relative volume of the different inputs. Linn calls this the Volume Offset and it allows you to increase or decrease the level of any individual input by 7.5dB up or down in .5dB increments.
audiokaas

Post by audiokaas »

Thanks for all the carification as usual I had it mixed up :oops: I fell into the same little trap as Thomas, which in itself makes it a little bit less embarassing.

I´m using it to demo some cartridges (sumiko celebration vs dynavector XX-2, any experience on a A-kontrol) shop demos these days are virtually impossible and dealers willing to lend one, hmmm do they exist? I miss the eighties when you could just go in and have 5 carts to listen to

Does that mean I´m getting old?

Anyway thanks for all of your great input