Stream without nas

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Lemmy

Stream without nas

Post by Lemmy »

I read this on the Linn forum:

"Actually, the best way to stream music (in terms of SQ) is not to use any NAS. Any NAS will have a negative effect on the SQ. I suspect the problem is not with the data transferred, but rather on the noise that the NAS inject into the mains line and network. If one is using Asus router with dlna server build in, one can just attached a hard disk to the router and stream music from that hard disk. In my system, it sound better than using a NAS. For even better SQ performance, one can even try attacking a thumb drive (or SSD) to the router. And for the best performance, do not use any drive at all.

Please take note, while conducting these experiment, connect only the streamer to the router. Remove all other network devices to the router, switch them off and unplug the SMPS. The whole audio system should be running on a separate network. If it is possible, switch off and unplug all other electronic devices in the house. If the router is powered by a linear power supply, the difference will be even bigger. The basic idea is to minimise the amount of noise injected into the mains, and also to minimise the amount of noise injected into the network. Lastly, use a shield ethernet cat 7 cable and also reduce the transmission power of the router to the minimum (in Asus router, the value is 1mW)."

Has anyone here tried it?
Link to post: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... #pid324197
CJ1045

Post by CJ1045 »

The poster does not understand computers - a router and a hard disc attached are effectively a NAS. NAS actually means network attached storage. Unfortunetly the HiFi press keep on plugging the standalone NAS concept as a must have for music streaming - this is very much not the only way you can do it. Equally they also plug USB connectivity like most people would like a Laptop sitting next to their HiFi in the lounge!

CJ