The Noble Art of Soldering

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Robert Lake

The Noble Art of Soldering

Post by Robert Lake »

I know nothing about soldering, but I did pick up a few things from this web course http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/. Some tips even if you are 'only' soldering speaker connections.
mazganistan

Post by mazganistan »

More on soldering here;

http://www.lejonklou.com/?page=41

Cheers!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks Robert!

I watched several of the films on that site. Some good advice there, although I don't fully agree with all of it (like choosing 63/37 alloys over 60/40 because the risk of making a bad joint becomes lower... you shouldn't be moving the joint while it cools in any case, so this is not really an issue).

It's really fun to see all these instructional videos popping up everywhere. I got an email a few days ago suggesting I'd make video of how to make a Tune Method installation of a pair of speakers. That would be fun! :D
zeedje

Making movies

Post by zeedje »

lejonklou wrote:
It's really fun to see all these instructional videos popping up everywhere. I got an email a few days ago suggesting I'd make video of how to make a Tune Method installation of a pair of speakers. That would be fun! :D
I am actually working on a script that will be in the same league as "Ben Hur". The film will be about my last six months of tuning :mrgreen:

The first two hours shows me and my best friend making movements of the speakers going from large moves to smaller. The score used is the first 14sec of Katie Meluas "Ghost Town" from the album Pictures. The climax of the movie would be after 2h15min when my wife enters, bursting flames, wondering if the CDP has a hiccup as it plays the same score a tousand times. The real showstopper, that will bring this film all the way to Cannes, is my own philosophical monologue regarding the benefits with little toe in to get more kick in the kickdrum :wink: Showing the vulnerability of a dedicated HiFi-freak as never seen in omnicolor...

/Zed "The moviemaker"
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

...You're on you're own mate...
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Making movies

Post by lejonklou »

zeedje wrote:I am actually working on a script that will be in the same league as "Ben Hur".
The film will be about my last six months of tuning
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

That should have been;

you're on your own mate.... :oops:
I know that tune
Erik

Post by Erik »

No, I'm with him...
tambrose

Post by tambrose »

Do you have a recommended soldering iron/station?

Thanks,

-tom
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Tampbrose!

I'm sure there are some more good ones out there, but I've had good and consistent results with the 80W Weller WSD80 or WSD81 (almost the exact same machine). The temperature on these has proven to be very stable when comparing on the same unit over time, but among different units we have found (comparing 3 different WSD80's) around 5 degrees Celcius of difference. Which is not perfect, but pretty good.

Best of all, it heats up large masses quite fast and adapts well to different jobs. Have tried a couple of others that have not been as good, for different reasons.