Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

flojo

Upgrading Genki or buy an Ikemi or...

Post by flojo »

Hello,

Best wishes to you all!

I'm wondering about upgrading my Genki. I don't know if the Ikemi sound
is my sound, so I was wondering to let Tentlabs (.com) upgrade my Genki.
What do you think and why: modificate my Genki or buy an Ikemi?!

Kind regards,

Florens
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Upgrading Genki or buy an Ikemi or...

Post by Music Lover »

flojo wrote: What do you think and why: modificate my Genki or buy an Ikemi?!
Easy - Ikemi!
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the link, Florens! Very interesting to read. Mr Tent knows what he is talking about, that is evident from the text about supply decoupling that I just read.

The problem, however, is that there is no modification that works on all machines. Each and every piece of audio equipment has its own balance and substituting a cheap component for a more expensive and "better" one does not necessarily result in an improvement. If you try modifying Linn equipment that way, you are almost guaranteed to fail.

Unfortunately, such substitutions is what these upgrade companies normally do and the questions you need to ask are the following:

1. How do you evaluate the improvement that your modification makes?

2. Have you evaluated your modification specifically on the model I have?

The first question is almost guaranteed to let you know how they are thinking. I would personally not let anyone touch my machines unless they answered something in the lines of Tune Method and had a good reputation among other enthusiasts that I know.

If you don't care about the Tune Method, I can substitute 8 capacitors in your Genki right away and you would find the new sound very open and interesting. The problem is that it would loose some of its flow and musicality. Improving that is a challenge of an entirely different magnitude, as 99% of the mods that "ought to be better" will actually make the unit perform worse.

The second question will most probably be answered with a "no", because there is no company that has time to evaluate the changes on all machines - it would take weeks for each specific model. And if you don't evaluate it on a specific model, you have no clue what you are doing to the sound. There is simply no "one cure for all".