Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Linn K400 in a single-wiring-configuration

Post by matthias »

Hello,

has anybody tried using the K400 in a single-wiring configuration:

1.)You separate the wire in the middle between the two pairs at the amplifier side for connecting the knekt bananas to the left and right channel.

2.)The cable is left intact running all the way to the speakers.

3.)At the loudspeakers you separate the cable again for connecting the right and left channel.

Any experiences in this configuration with tune-dem?

Best regards

matthias
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Matthias and welcome here!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... For single wiring, I recommend "half a K400" instead of K20. I cut the two pairs apart with a sharp knife - the only problem is that on some rolls of K400/600, there is a thin pocket in between the pairs, causing the black plastic to split open after it has been cut this way.

I always check for this first, before using the knife. It was only for a certain period that the K400/600 were made like this. Presumably it was made to make them slightly easier to work with (when stripping away the black plastic).

Sorry if I misunderstood your single wire connection. Please explain what conductor goes where if you had anything else in mind. Perhaps add a drawing?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hi Fredrik,

thank you for your welcome-greetings.

I think we understand the same way. Each pair represents one channel. I recommend not to cut the two pairs the whole lenght of the cable but only at the both ends for connectings the two channels. On the way from the amplfier to the loudpeakers the cable should be left intact. My experience: If a cable configuration looks better it will sound better.
I hope this helps.

matthias
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

If the amp is placed at the side of both speakers, you can have a point in not separating them entirely. But if the amp is in the middle, between the speakers, I don't see the point as right and left will go entirely different routes.

In any case, watch out for the K400/600 with a thin pocket between the pairs!