So what do we think of 4.14.508?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

So what do we think of 4.14.508?

Post by donuk »

To my ears - the best firmware to date on my humble Majik DS. I had settled on 4.1.10 as being the most musical. But this is as good IMHO.
Don
Dark Downtown York
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Perhaps I should have put this post under the Firmware thread. Could one of you moderators please move it.
Thanks
Don
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry donuk, can't merge threads on this forum. At least not yet.

If you insist on wanting to have it in the Firmware thread, the easiest way is that you post your message there. If you do, we will delete this thread.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I like what I've heard of it so far too.
lunch

Post by lunch »

What do you like about it? And what fw version did you upgrade from? Can you please elaborate a bit?
LP12 - Karousel - ARadikal - Keel - Ekos SE - Kandid - Entity
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Fair question, Lunch. I started this thread in haste partly to point out that a new firmware was available, and to my ears it sounded promising. I overlooked the fact that I now understand it is a beta, and also overlooked the fact that doubtless Kinsky users would also be automatically reminded if they had configured it so.

Well, as I have said elsewhere on this forum, I have had my Majik DS for a couple of months, during which time I have ripped all my CDs, and disconnected my Naim CD player.

I have also got to know the DS technology a bit better, although I may still be on the nursery slopes. Through this forum I became aware, through the detailed efforts of some of our learned colleagues that different firmware had different flavours. Which surprised me.

So I tried some and settled on 4.1.10 or 4.7.5. Both I preferred to 4.12.357 which was the current firmware which installed itself when I received my DS new.

Now the reasons why I prefer the latest:

As well as having full functionality, I prefer the sound. As I have explained on this forum, in spite of my best efforts, I am unable to utilise the tune-dem method. However the differences to my untrained ears are not subtle. In lay terms, I would describe the latest firmware as having a more musical presentation. 4.12.357 sounded detailed but at times a bit brash. Loud high female vocals could sound a bit hard and grainy. Saxophones and cymbals now sound more like the instruments I am used to in a live band setting. To use another over-employed analogy, the latest software sounds a bit more "vinyl". I hope that is of some help.

By the way - I think it has been stated elsewhere - but something I have found important - it is necessary to switch off Songcast otherwise the firmware changes may not take place!

Don, dark downtown York
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I went from 4.11.4, preferred that to 4.12.357.

The sound quality is better overall.

TuneDem is not as good, but the sound is better enough I am working on moving the speakers I had sworn not to touch. Interaction of musicians is communicated better. Sounds better. Foot tapping is just not the same as before.

Hope I get it worked out.

To sum it up it is very promising.
lunch

Post by lunch »

Interesting to read your thoughts. Also interesting that neither of you like 4.11.357 which is my fw of choice. I'll probably check it out myself soon but I'm in the process of adjusting my sub so I don't want to mess with anything else until that's sorted.
Keep posting your thoughts, please!
LP12 - Karousel - ARadikal - Keel - Ekos SE - Kandid - Entity
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Can anyone send my a copy of 4.14.508 KDS please?
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
jiddu_k

Post by jiddu_k »

Nicolav wrote:Can anyone send my a copy of 4.14.508 KDS please?
+1
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

PM me your email(s)
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

SaltyDog wrote:PM me your email(s)
Thank you Salty,
fw already taken from Paolo.
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

SaltyDog wrote:I went from 4.11.4, preferred that to 4.12.357.

The sound quality is better overall.

TuneDem is not as good, but the sound is better enough I am working on moving the speakers I had sworn not to touch. Interaction of musicians is communicated better. Sounds better. Foot tapping is just not the same as before.

Hope I get it worked out.

To sum it up it is very promising.
Hi Salty, did you stay with 4.14.508 or revert to a preferred version?

Has anyone tried the release version of Davaar 14 (4.14.549)? If so, is it as good as .508?
I'm using 4.12.357 in my KRDS because of all the defect fixes in that version - there doesn't appear to be any functional reason to update to Davaar 14 as it's DSM & Exakt focussed. Just wondering if there are any audio reasons to update from Davaar 12 to the latest firmware?
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I have tried the newest and almost all the others.

I'm back and happy with 4.11.4.