is 220v that much better?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

usjaz

B1 on 220Volts

Post by usjaz »

Hi, Thomas,

Are you still having your B1 running on 110Volts and want to move it to 220Volts as well?

I recently have purchased a B-1 to use in 220Volts. I can post instructions how to convert B1 to 220Volts if interested.

best,

-James

ThomasOK wrote:On switching to 220 Volts I have found that all my components sound better at the higher voltage setting. I currently have my REL B1 subwoofer running at 110 Volts partly as the US distributor and owner of REL, Sumiko, is most uncooperative in providing the information as to how the conversion is done. I believe I have it figured out anyway and should be able to make the conversion soon. However, using the B1 at 110 Volts and the rest of the system has caused no problems and the REL still improves the sound of the system when connected. When I first checked 220 Volts I found that just switching the Ikemi made a substantial improvement with the rest of the system at 110 Volts. So, yes, you can mix 110 and 220 Volt components but all components I have tried it with have sounded better at 220 Volts including the ATC speakers and an Alesis Masterlink CD/Hard drive recorder.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I would definitely be interested in the conversion information. I don't currently have a B1 having sold mine in order to put the money elsewhere - and also because I thought I might go for a G1 or G2. However, I do plan to reacquire a B1 once I am a bit more flush and the opportunity presents itself as I am not thrilled with the quality of the G series. So I will want to do the conversion once I have a B1 again.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Hi Thomas, grateful if you could provide me with info regarding 220V. It's something I'd like to do / get done, but would appreciate guidance with respect to power cords, plugs, & wall sockets especially. The receptacles I upgraded to are ExHD Spec Grade, but 15A/125V... Thanks in advance.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Best to call or email me on this as some of my recommendations might not be strictly to code!
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Not that I'm making any recommendations.

I had a certified electrician install a dedicated 220V circuit that includes a totally different kind of plug that twists to lock.

I then used an adapter that converts back to a normal 110V US type outlet that I plug a power strip into. This way all the leads remain the same on the gear. These connections are well away from where anyone would normally venture in the basement and the family has been warned not to touch anything in that area. When we move all that will be left in place is the special 220V outlet.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Will call, Thomas - thanks.
SaltyDog wrote:Not that I'm making any recommendations.
I had a certified electrician install a dedicated 220V circuit that includes a totally different kind of plug that twists to lock.

I then used an adapter that converts back to a normal 110V US type outlet that I plug a power strip into. This way all the leads remain the same on the gear...
Thanks, Salty - had considered that. I don't use a power strip at the mo' - just trying to get a clearer idea of what would be involved.
usjaz

Instruction to convert REL B-series and G-Series to 220V

Post by usjaz »

It doesn't seem Lejonklou forum supports image upload. So I post the power conversion instruction on the Linn forums here:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... #pid219958
ThomasOK wrote:I would definitely be interested in the conversion information. I don't currently have a B1 having sold mine in order to put the money elsewhere - and also because I thought I might go for a G1 or G2. However, I do plan to reacquire a B1 once I am a bit more flush and the opportunity presents itself as I am not thrilled with the quality of the G series. So I will want to do the conversion once I have a B1 again.