Funk Linn?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Rudy van Gelder

Funk Linn?

Post by Rudy van Gelder »

I wonder - have anyone of you any opinions on the LP12-modifications that the Funk Firm offer? Or experiences?

If you don´t know what it is you can find it in www.thefunkfirm.co.uk

It seems Art Dudley likes it about as much as he likes the LP12SE, and considering Linn´s prices...
Rudy van Gelder

Post by Rudy van Gelder »

Strange.
I´ve had this topic out for one month now, and no one has written anything. There have been many looking but not one has found it necessary to share any thoughts.
Why? Not interesting? Or nobody knows anything about Funk Firm´s modifications? Or...?
Well, I think it´s interesting - a company, which is not Linn, makes what is said to be an upgrading of the LP 12. Getting very fine reviews and it´s also cheaper than Linn´s own upgradings. I think it´s got a big potential to be extremely interesting!
And nobody on this forum has anything to say?!
I should have thought that at least mr. Lejonklou himself should have some opinions on for instance: new location of the motor, alternate subchassis, the use of a dc motor, new top plate? No?
TMV

Post by TMV »

I think Mr Lejonklou is deleting all good reviews of competing products! :roll:
NO, that was a joke!!!

I guess that noone has any experience of the funk products. Most of the time tweaks of Linn (and Naim) gear makes them less musical but maybe better in other areas. However, I do not know if that is true for the funkfirm. Do they try to tune-dem their tweaks???

But of course it is possible to tweak the LP12 for better tune-dem performance. Linn is doing it all the time.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Well... the reason I haven't written anything is that I don't have any experience with these mods. I have, however, spoken with several people (who's commens I normally find trustworthy) who have heard the Pink Link and they all thought it was worse than the original.

That makes me less interested than I would otherwise be. There is also a fairly large amount of products and mods on that website and my view is that this is typical for companies who lack a consistent evaluation method (read: Tune Method). It's not difficult to modify an LP12 - many attempts have been made over the years - but to actually improve it is something entirely different.

I feel the same about this as I do about most audio cable companies who have 20+ models on sale: It is possible but not likely that these are good, simply because great products are not made by chance or luck. They require a definition of quality, a way to evaluate that quality and a LOT of work to pursue it.