Radikal Motor and Sensor Torque Settings

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

jlrchrds

Radikal Motor and Sensor Torque Settings

Post by jlrchrds »

Has anyone tested the Radikal's motor and sensor torque settings? If so, how many NM did you find were most beneficial? I'd like to play with them, but am concerned about overtightening the motor for sure. Thanks. Jeff
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Radikal Motor and Sensor Torque Settings

Post by ThomasOK »

jlrchrds wrote:Has anyone tested the Radikal's motor and sensor torque settings? If so, how many NM did you find were most beneficial? I'd like to play with them, but am concerned about overtightening the motor for sure. Thanks. Jeff
You definitely want to be careful with the motor bolts as they thread into plastic which can be stripped with too much force. First off I will say that the screws holding the Radikal motor to the top plate are less sensitive to torque than most LP12 fasteners. I believe this is because the motor is actually isolated from the plastic housing with a dense plastic foam sleeve and pad so the connection force likely has little effect. I did test from .2Nm to .6Nm (although I wasn't comfortable going higher than that) and felt .4Nm even to be the most musical but again any differences were small. On the sensor there are three settings: the bracket to the top plate at .8Nm+2, the sensor board to the bracket at .4Nm-3 and the sensor wires to the board at .2Nm-9. This is the lowest torque on an LP12 but still is a fair bit for the connector so I recommend holding onto the terminal strip while tightening to minimize the stress on the solder connections. It also requires a very small philips or posidriv tip which is likely hard to find so you might want to just nip it up reasonably tightly with a philips jewelers screwdriver.

As usual the standard caveats apply about the differences between different screwdrivers meaning you need to listen to settings close to those listed to find the most musical with your screwdriver.
jlrchrds

Post by jlrchrds »

Thomas you are a real gent. Thanks so much. Jeff