How to get Akurate power switch

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

How to get Akurate power switch

Post by k_numigl »

A stupid kind of a problem, but I really wonder what to do: A power switch of one of my Akurate power amps went defective (A2200, switch is Arcolectric 8500 series). As I needed music from this particular amp, I simply took a switch from another Akurate amp from another room and installed it in exchange (leads are soldered, so switch, leads and PCB connector form one unit). Problem is, that still I need one switch, of course. In principle, I could hand in the amp concerned to a dealer to have a repair under warranty (still within 5 year period). But this would mean no music from this installation for quite a while, install back the defective switch in the amp (superb!), bring it to the dealer, have him sort out things with Linn, recollect the amp, etc.. Moreover, it is an intermittent contact problem, thus not easy to identify. So I'd prefer to get and install a spare part, but fear due to legal problems there's no way to get one from Linn. Do you share this expectation? Any idea for a smarter solution without loosing Linn's warranty?
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Have you considered using the product deoxit? There a couple different kinds. One is for parts that involve sliding plastic parts.

I have success with it bringing many switches back to life.

I have not used in on any hifi. I would give it a try if I had a need.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Do you have a good relationship with your Linn dealer? Would they take it on trust from you that the switch needs to be replaced (under warranty) and get one in from Linn? That way, when they have it, you just need to go in with the amp & have the switch replaced while you wait. Worth a phone call and a try.
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

Thanks so far! I really do want to replace it. Linn confirmed (helpline) that they do not supply anything directly to an end consumer, be it big or small, warranty or later repair - as to be expected.

So I contacted the nearest shop, only to hear that as this equipment is not purchased there, they could happily sell me a spare part (30 Euros), but not get involved in any warranty issue. I find this a bit strange in the light of a so called 'parts and labour' warranty. The only way to get a replacement under warranty would be to return the equipment to the first seller. As this is in Vienna, even the simple shipment of the switch alone is not economic, less so the shipment of the amp, of course.

I just imagine that I don't get a real warranty with my Toyota or Citroen, just because I'm away from home. Ridiculous. Same with my Nikon - perfect warranty service everywhere in Europe, regardless of the place of purchase and where I am at present.

Linn equipment is similarly priced as my Toyota (and much more expensive than my D7000). So the way a warranty should work should also be similar: Pop in where you are at present and get service. If a retailer has to work, his expenses should be covered by the warranty - as the Toyota garage gets the necessary work reimbursed, too. That's the meaning of 'parts and labour', isn't it?

If Linn is really charging the shop for warranty exchange parts and does not cover the labour costs, the reaction of the local shop is understandable. But it leaves me with the recognition that Linn's 'warranty' is neither transferable nor should be called so.

Even for the Seasonic PSU of the LS NAS, service has been better (defective cable, replaced in no time...).
BR, Klaus
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I can only speak for the US market but Linn should supply the part free of charge for any unit under warranty. However, Linn does not reimburse dealers for warranty labor nor do its distributors. Linn also does not cover shipping of the unit into the local distributor for warranty repair.

As a dealer, we will take care of any warranty repair unit presented to us whether purchased here or not. But if it was not purchased from us we will charge for any labor or shipping charges involved which we just absorb for products purchased from us. We feel this is part of providing quality service to our customers and potential customers too.

There is one more thing that can have a bearing on this - Linn is not always happy allowing the dealers to perform warranty work. I don't expect I would have too big a problem if I tried to get them to supply a power switch for a warranty repair but it is highly unlikely they would ship me a DS main board for warranty repair - they would want the distributor service department to verify the problem. Sometimes there are exceptions but not generally. Again this is mostly applicable to the US, I can't say how it is handled in other markets.